U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 AM
 
11,123 posts, read 6,991,843 times
Reputation: 5566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
There's the first problem right there. The assumption that being Hispanic or Black 'causes' crime is NOT common knowledge. On the contrary, most sociologists would dispute the claim that race/ethnic diversity in the United States has anything really to do with the high crime rate.

I will acknowledge that there is a correlation, perhaps that crime is higher in these communities. But it's my opinion, the opinion of most researchers, and the suggestion of most published data that the correlation does not reflect the role of race, in particular but instead reflects other factors that are the REAL causes of crime such as urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, poor urban infrastructure, low school quality, and discrimination, along with tons of other things.

Claiming that our high crime rate is because blacks and Hispanics live here is not only offensive, it's a dangerous idea that ignored the incredibly complex etiology of crime which requires multidimensional interventions.
InsaneTraveler's comment had nothing to do with causation, only correlation.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
346 posts, read 585,461 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
But we already lock people up at 7 times the rate of other industrialized countries. 25% of the inmate population and less than 5% of the world's population.

And we let them out WAY TOO SOON !!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 PM
 
5,367 posts, read 1,666,942 times
Reputation: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
There's the first problem right there. The assumption that being Hispanic or Black 'causes' crime is NOT common knowledge. On the contrary, most sociologists would dispute the claim that race/ethnic diversity in the United States has anything really to do with the high crime rate.

I will acknowledge that there is a correlation, perhaps that crime is higher in these communities. But it's my opinion, the opinion of most researchers, and the suggestion of most published data that the correlation does not reflect the role of race, in particular but instead reflects other factors that are the REAL causes of crime such as urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, poor urban infrastructure, low school quality, and discrimination, along with tons of other things.

Claiming that our high crime rate is because blacks and Hispanics live here is not only offensive, it's a dangerous idea that ignored the incredibly complex etiology of crime which requires multidimensional interventions.
I agree with you that crime is a very complex subject. But it tends to be much, much less complex when blacks and hispanics are not involved in the equation.

"REAL causes of crime such as urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, poor urban infrastructure, low school quality,"

Funny. I never seem to witness these types of things in majority white or east asian neighborhoods. Urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, etc. These are things that are created by the residents of the neighborhood. But I am sure you probably blame these things on white people . Blacks in particular are violent. Every society they exist in they are over represented in crime statistics. I don't care if its offensive. That is reality! You don't like it, then work to change these violent people rather than saying a problem doesn't exist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,461 posts, read 2,966,793 times
Reputation: 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I agree with you that crime is a very complex subject. But it tends to be much, much less complex when blacks and hispanics are not involved in the equation.

"REAL causes of crime such as urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, poor urban infrastructure, low school quality,"

Funny. I never seem to witness these types of things in majority white or east asian neighborhoods. Urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, etc. These are things that are created by the residents of the neighborhood. But I am sure you probably blame these things on white people . Blacks in particular are violent. Every society they exist in they are over represented in crime statistics. I don't care if its offensive. That is reality! You don't like it, then work to change these violent people rather than saying a problem doesn't exist.
The fact you're stating about blacks is a truth for whatever reason many folks refuse to acknowledge, at least in the US. I don't believe it's a reason to justify racism or treat black people badly, but again - ignoring, not acknowledging, or sweeping something under the rug will not make it better. I had previously thought the extradordinary rate of violence amongst blacks was restricted to the US because of slavery and oppression, but hear it's the same way in the UK, which is surprising to me if true because I don't understand why.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 590,335 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Funny. I never seem to witness these types of things in majority white or east asian neighborhoods. Urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, etc. These are things that are created by the residents of the neighborhood.
No, they're not created by the residents of the neighborhood. These patterns are structural, and most often happen in places where the residents are powerless to resist such strong societal forces. Poor black folks living in many neighborhoods of Philadelphia didn't cause de-industrialization, the creation of freeways, loss of employment, and lack of public investment. These were not choices of the residents themselves. The people in the affected neighborhoods did not have the power or resources to counteract these trends. To assume that white neighborhoods were spared much of the negative effects of these processes because white people are more 'conscientious' or something shows an astoundingly narrow view of recent US history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Blacks in particular are violent.
What? What does this even mean? Blacks are just more violent? Genetically? Culturally? There actually isn't much evidence of either, but I suppose you can't be convinced.

You know, it's sort of a shame that you think this way, because it shows a lack of understanding of the true complexity of things like crime, race, oppression, and privilege. But I suppose it also doesn't really matter what you think. If and when things even change in terms of eliminating racial inequalities, it will not depend on the opinions of people like us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
 
839 posts, read 476,690 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I agree with you that crime is a very complex subject. But it tends to be much, much less complex when blacks and hispanics are not involved in the equation.

"REAL causes of crime such as urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, poor urban infrastructure, low school quality,"

Funny. I never seem to witness these types of things in majority white or east asian neighborhoods. Urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, etc. These are things that are created by the residents of the neighborhood. But I am sure you probably blame these things on white people . Blacks in particular are violent. Every society they exist in they are over represented in crime statistics. I don't care if its offensive. That is reality! You don't like it, then work to change these violent people rather than saying a problem doesn't exist.
Are you serious?

Portsmouth, Ohio
90.8% white
From the city data crime rate index

2009 2010
723.5 778.7

Louisville, MS
63.0 Black

Crime rate Index
2009 2010
121.8 174.7

Didn't you say every society blacks live in is represented by crime statistics?

Do the whites is Portsmouth want to be black then? Every race has violent people.

Funny. I never seem to witness these types of things in majority white or east asian neighborhoods. Urban decay, unemployment, poverty concentration, etc.

Why don't you take a trip down to Portsmouth, Ohio then. Where there is tons of urban decay, drugs, and white on white crime. Where prostitutes are running wild and people are poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0vxqh-3tV4

Last edited by Ilovethecommunity; 04-16-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 4,234,837 times
Reputation: 1690
Biggest reason is the War on Drugs.

It caused the crime rate to double.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
 
68 posts, read 75,473 times
Reputation: 62
High crime usually happens in the poor areas.

To be blunt, when you're rich, you live in a nice area and don't feel a need to rob. You have it made.

And anyone who blames crime solely on blacks, needs to get out more. I've been to run-down areas with crummy looking whites. The people in the latter areas had one thing in common... they were quite poor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM
 
2,079 posts, read 1,540,855 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiIj View Post
High crime usually happens in the poor areas.

To be blunt, when you're rich, you live in a nice area and don't feel a need to rob. You have it made.

And anyone who blames crime solely on blacks, needs to get out more. I've been to run-down areas with crummy looking whites. The people in the latter areas had one thing in common... they were quite poor.
My experience is that 'high crime' happens in poor areas surrounded by rich areas, mostly happening in the cities. What drives these rates of crime is the drug trade either directly or indirectly. Rich people from the surrounding areas come to the poor areas of the city and drop their money to buy drugs. This creates conflict over who controls the market and now people have money to buy weapons to fight over it. It trickles down in other areas, usually these poor areas are not policed the way the richer, safer areas are. This leads to a downward spiral where people are forced to take the law into their hands. Does it make you a bad person to kill someone who kill your friend, relative, son, daughter? These kinda tit for tats inflate the numbers.

I've been to plenty of poor areas out in the sticks with very little crime. It didn't matter if they were black or white. If you're poor and everyone around you is poor then poor is redefined. The city pushes everyone to have the things they can't and that's where the problems come from...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 4,715,349 times
Reputation: 1492
Too much freedom.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top