Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I completely agree. Some of our prisons are actually nicer than where some of these criminals live. At least they have heat when it's cold, they get medical attention, shelther, and food. So many "free" Americans don't even have that.

Uh... did you just use "prison" and "nice" in the same sentence? Be happy that you've never had anyone close to you go to prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Because the U.S is the only world power/developed nation on the planet that has almost 40 million Black people. So ofcourse we are going to have a higher murder rate than lily White 1st world countries like Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Australia, etc which have very few Blacks.

Um, excuse me? Did you just say that the entire black population of America is responsible for the US's murder rate?

Did it ever occur to you geniuses that maybe the gigantic illegal drug market - that is overwhelmingly supported by white people - has something to do with it? Did it occur to you that the large drug cartels operating here are overwhelmingly European, Asian and Mexican?

I'm not wasting any more of my time on quite possibly the stupidest post I have read on this site.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Guns, guns, guns, guns, guns, guns, guns. Did I mention guns?
I live in Round Rock, Texas, population 106,000 - a suburb on the northern edge of Austin. This city & county are "full" of guns & people licensed to carry them concealed. We've had two murders in the past 8 years.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I live in Round Rock, Texas, population 106,000 - a suburb on the northern edge of Austin. This city & county are "full" of guns & people licensed to carry them concealed. We've had two murders in the past 8 years.

Which means it is mainly about the attitude. People with self-destructive attitudes are dangerous with ANY weapon.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Which means it is mainly about the attitude. People with self-destructive attitudes are dangerous with ANY weapon.
And if the person's self-destructive enough, they pretty much are a weapon.

As far as guns go, an equally-matching economic climate in the local area is an added ingredient in keeping the place relatively peaceful.

A happy and armed society is an equally polite society.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Compared to most developed countries, the US' violent crime rate s pretty high.
'Cause we are wild! Woooo!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM

70 posts, read 178,468 times
Maybe because many have that superiority feeling that makes people in the west do such crimes. Power can be blinding, it is a very strong venom that will make anyone feel overly superior. That is one reason that we know and yet we tend not to see.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM

285 posts, read 641,925 times
I think most murders are related to the drug trade with criminals killing each other. This could also be related to our culture of getting rich, even if it means killing others through violence and the substances that you sell.

There has also been a historically high murder rate among southern white men. It relates to the culture of defending your honor.

Just want to add one more thought. Our country has really lacked unity from the beginning. Many different religious groups, ethnicities, nationalities, and ways of life exist here. One of the drawbacks of that is that it can create tension between different groups and even just on a personal level because there are so many people who think differently.

Last edited by czb2004; 03-16-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Good for you! Changes nothing

Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
I think most murders are related to the drug trade with criminals killing each other. This could also be related to our culture of getting rich, even if it means killing others through violence and the substances that you sell.

There has also been a historically high murder rate among southern white men. It relates to the culture of defending your honor.

Just want to add one more thought. Our country has really lacked unity from the beginning. Many different religious groups, ethnicities, nationalities, and ways of life exist here. One of the drawbacks of that is that it can create tension between different groups and even just on a personal level because there are so many people who think differently.
It is something to consider. Being violent isn't limited to any particular race. The Honor Culture you mention came here from Scotland. The Deep South has a large population of people who are of Scotch-Irish descent. The Honor Culture that existed there came out of clans fighting one another and the rough existence of the Scotch-Irish.
New Orleans, however, is a bit of an anomaly. It was founded as a French settlement and the idea was that conservative, Catholic Frenchmen were to be there. However, few people wanted to live in the lower Mississippi River Valley area. It was mainly pirates that settled there first. What is now the greater New Orleans area used to attract mainly pirates and privateers. Later on some of the settlers were formerly prisoners in their home nations, returning to anti-social behavior once in New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.