U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 AM

131 posts, read 438,533 times

Advertisements

I have a week and a half to explore the U.S. next year. Should I head for Alaska or Maine?

I have always been fascinated with Alaska and would love to head up there and head around the state. I am worried that that is not nearly enough time to see much at all up there in this time frame though. Honestly, if I had less commitments I would try to move up there.

Maine, though probably not as breathtaking as Alaska, looks to be absolutely beautiful, I have never been to the state & I could road-trip it up there from Atlanta stopping off at my parents place in CT, uncle’s place in Maine etc.

Criteria is that I will be traveling by myself (wife and daughter not interested) and would like to meet locals, have some great food & beer, go fishing, see wildlife & general exploration of a new US area.

Any ideas are much appreciated!!

Last edited by AtlantaCruiser; 11-25-2008 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
Logistically Maine makes a lot more sense for your time frame. I would think 10 or 11 days would be a short time to explore Alaska, where Maine even though it is larger that other New England States is still only around 35,000 square miles in area, half of which is taken up by the "North Maine Woods" and there is no regular towns in that entire area. I say "regular" towns because there is a small settlement in Clayton Lake area, but it is all logging company buildings and bunkhouse with no stores, gas stations, nothing for the public. The rest of the state can be wandered through and some real hidden gems to be found in semi-short distances from each other. To go from Dickey in the North to Portland area in the South is only about 8 hours drive time if you went straight through.

There are tons of small towns and villages that may just surprise you with the quality AND quantity of food you can find. Most of the coastal towns will have at least one charter fishing boat for either half day or full day fishing trips on the ocean. Most of the rivers and small streams will have at least Brook Trout in them. Best part is that the fish are used to having Moose walking through the water and you don't have to be so careful in your approach to the water so you don't spook the fish.

If you are politely friendly you will find all kinds of nice friendly people, Too loud and brash and you will not find as many. A better reception will be found in the smaller towns away from the tourist meccas. There is all kinds of wildlife to see in Maine as well. From lots of deer in the Southern part to tons of Moose in the northern part. Bear can be all over. Some people can go a long time without seeing a Moose, but your best bet for them is in Aroostook county. Not much of anything else up there in the way of tourism, but there are some beautiful areas, and lots of wildlife to see. For places to visit and places to eat, vist the Maine forum here on C-D. They are a good group over there and there is always a thread or three dealing with places to eat in different areas of the state.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,187,158 times
Maine.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,739,996 times
Maine

Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,473,007 times
Maine!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:58 PM

479 posts, read 1,291,718 times
I agree Maine is the place for you. Alaska is too big and less people around. Best to visit there with other friends, in case you get lost, you get lost together. No need to be lonely and suffer. LOL. Well Maine is much easier to travel.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM

327 posts, read 948,109 times
Maine is fun. If you go, go to Portland area, its a really nice city....oh and if watch bizzare foods with andrew zimmerman try to catch the Maine episode. I just saw it last night, it will defntly give you a good perspective of Maine

Old 11-25-2008, 02:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,725,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
I...and would like to meet locals, have some great food & beer, go fishing, see wildlife & general exploration of a new US area.
On my trips to Alaska, I have seen bears, a porcupine, a wolf, caribou, moose (one even came up to my campsite), whales, and quite a few bald eagles. Fresh salmon to be caught and eaten, and some nice local beer, and the people are right friendly.

10-11 days is actually a pretty good amount of time to see Alaska. Not all of it, of course, but you could see the Seward Peninsula, Anchorage, Denali national park, and Fairbanks.

Alaska is in its own universe in terms of overwhelming outdoors/wilderness/geography. However, if you go, it should be between June and mid-August...otherwise...COLD. If you are planning on traveling during autumn, New England is probably a better bet.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM

398 posts, read 1,163,139 times
I agree that it depends on what time of year you're going to be visiting. I personally would pick Alaska, but only because I've never been there and have always wanted to go. I don't know how much you'll be able to see in 10-11 days in Alaska, people who have been/lived there can help you more with that. If it's not enough time or if it's the wrong time of year, then definitely Maine. You can always visit VT and NH if you run out of things to do!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,403,660 times
Both are the two most beautiful places I have ever been in my life. Can't go wrong either way. Be sure to get to Bar Harbor if you head to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.