Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Sort of Street Network Do You Prefer?
Grid-Shaped 37 80.43%
Haphazard 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Of course, you sir, Mr. ScranBerre have no clue what I'm talking about since you have never been west of the Missisippi River your whole life.
Why is it that you always have to address me in your posts with some sort of back-handed comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why is it that you always have to address me in your posts with some sort of back-handed comment?
I'll admit I can be a little mean at times, especially on the internet when you don't see the person you're responding to face to face. It was sort of my way at getting backatchya after some of your recent posts when you were totally bashing Phoenix even though you've never been there. Whereas in this post I was trying to explain how Phoenix "works." My point is suburbs come in many different shapes and sizes and differ a little bit between regions.

BTW, the problem you illustrated here with people in the neighborhood not having access to the nearby school isn't really an issue about grid streets vs "haphazard" streets. It's an issue about easements. The developer/city/county could have put in some kind of pedestrian path connecting the school with the neighborhood, but chose not to. I've seen a number of neighborhoods in suburban Denver that also have squiggly maze-like streets, just like the aerial shot you have pictured, but also have a little pedestrian/bike trail connecting into the school behind the neighborhood. I've also seen neighborhoods that were originally designed as grid networks with seemless connections between streets, but at some point in time many of the roads connecting to the arterial streets were closed and walled off, creating much the same effect as if they were designed "squiggly" to begin with.

Suburban subdivisions in the west also tend to be much physically larger than your typical subdivision in the northeast, and as a result tend to be planned better. Part of the appeal of "master planned communities" is amenities like bike/running trails, sidewalks, parks, open space, community centers/recreation centers, schools, and even retail centers are all designed in tandem with one another to make everything more pleasant. A great example of this is Highlands Ranch, CO (look it up and you'll see what I mean). I'm not saying you would like to live there, but if you did, you at least wouldn't have the problem of getting run over just when you want to go jogging.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
I much more prefer a grid. It's faster, easier to navigate, and "cleaner".

Old 11-28-2008, 02:35 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
I vote grid. It's part of a basic approach to civilization as much as the toilet is.

I despise trying to get around cities without grids. Most of the Southern states have those tangly, irritating streets. You have no idea where you're going and streets don't actually intersect, so you have all sorts of bizarre "drives" and "avenues" which don't actually act as such.

How many Pohick roads does NoVA really need?

Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times
Grids are easier and cheaper to build, easier to maintain, use less resources and can be made almost any size. (lots)
It is easier to navigate in grids. Grids provide better routes for mass transit, better views. (along main boulevards and avenues)

Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Grids, but I don't mind some haphazard streets like winding roads. But overall, I'd go with the grid. It's just easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.