U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Urban or Suburban??
Urban 93 68.89%
Suburban 42 31.11%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,637,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I hate most suburbs. They're all alike. Tons of traffic. A car (or SUV) is a must. Cheap look alike housing developments. Hideous strip malls with the same stores. Target, Walmart, Applebees, Home Depot etc. Time magazine had a picture of 3 suburban streets in different parts of the country and they all looked exactly the same. The story was quite interesting too.
There are some suburbs that are an exception. Here on Long Island, there aren't endless strip malls with chains. A lot of mom and pop type places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,681,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There are some suburbs that are an exception. Here on Long Island, there aren't endless strip malls with chains. A lot of mom and pop type places.
The NYC metro is a very old metro, building growth ended a long time ago so this area is very unique compared to other present booming metros.
Like you'll never find a neighborhood wal-mart or Home Depot in my area, you'd have to be on a highway. The highway is where all those suburban stores are built. (this is why NNJ probably gets a bad rap, since they build all the uglies on the heavily driven highways) but the inner neighborhoods are some of the cutest around.

A lot of the blue collar suburban cities and towns here are like laid back urban neighborhoods. Some of these suburban towns in the NYC metro are even some of the most densest cities in the country.

And even the up-scaled suburbs of NYC (LI,NNJ,WESTCH,SWCT) have a unique feel. It's never repetitive in the nyc metro, that's why i love it.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,572,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Do you prefer urban life, or suburban life??
Urban life, though I also enjoy being out in the suburbs and great nature. Rather live in a high rise condo than a house in the suburbs ( but possibly could make a great vacation home).

Though this my opinion, one who won't have any children, and as I notice many decided suburban base off of raising a family etc...

Last edited by timeofseasons; 08-25-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,589,477 times
I like a little of both, I guess that's why I live in a small city.....a small town atmosphere with more amenities and convenience than small towns or suburbs....but not the hustle and bustle of big city life.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 PM

337 posts, read 375,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I hate most suburbs. They're all alike. Tons of traffic. A car (or SUV) is a must. Cheap look alike housing developments. Hideous strip malls with the same stores. Target, Walmart, Applebees, Home Depot etc. Time magazine had a picture of 3 suburban streets in different parts of the country and they all looked exactly the same. The story was quite interesting too.
What an awful generalization, for the most part. The car part is true, but that's a good thing. Having a car is fantastic.

No suburbs here look alike at all. The one I live in is an older suburb where no houses look alike at all. We have a very nice waterfront on one of the great lakes.

Another couple suburbs in the Rochester metro have beautiful villages right along the Erie Canal.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,676,814 times
All suburbs are alike. They all are full of chains, big boxes, and they are all spread out and auto oriented.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
All suburbs are alike. They all are full of chains, big boxes, and they are all spread out and auto oriented.
Try getting out some more. You're wrong.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,676,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Try getting out some more. You're wrong.
Are you serious? 99% of suburban areas surrounding a core city have the exact same amentities, no culture, and it's hard to tell the difference between them. I bet where you live there is a home depot and a lowe's and a best buy, target, and walmart right around the corner isn't there. If you lived in a big city I would have no idea what's around the corner because they are all unique. Suburbs are not unique and you know it.. So your tellin me that your suburb is transit oriented?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? 99% of suburban areas surrounding a core city have the exact same amentities, no culture, and it's hard to tell the difference between them. I bet where you live there is a home depot and a lowe's and a best buy, target, and walmart right around the corner isn't there. If you lived in a big city I would have no idea what's around the corner because they are all unique. Suburbs are not unique and you know it.
As unique as cities? No. But there are differences between each and every suburb in the Rochester area, and I know that's the case with most cities.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,637,278 times
Quote:
Are you serious? 99% of suburban areas surrounding a core city have the exact same amentities, no culture, and it's hard to tell the difference between them. I bet where you live there is a home depot and a lowe's and a best buy, target, and walmart right around the corner isn't there. If you lived in a big city I would have no idea what's around the corner because they are all unique. Suburbs are not unique and you know it.. So your tellin me that your suburb is transit oriented?

You should try visiting the NYC suburbs. From the NJ shore, to the gold coast mansions of Long Island, the quaint villages in southern CT, to the mountains in the Hudson valley...and very different from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.