Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Urban or Suburban??
Urban 130 65.66%
Suburban 68 34.34%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:27 AM

10,163 posts, read 20,702,778 times

Advertisements

I'll take city living any day. Living in the suburbs is like living in a cemetery, only instead of rows of granite headstones that all look alike, it's rows or town houses or cookie cutter homes. The only signs of life are when someone charges up the lawnmower/leaf blower/snow blower, or the barking dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
After yesterday--definitely Urban.

I live in Oakland but my sister, her husband and 4 kids live in Moraga-a really rich suburb on the other side of the hill. Anyway she and her husband are in North Carolina attending to his ailing mother while I am watching their kids--which means I take her son(16) to football practice yesterday. Anyway, I sat in the bleachers where some of the parents were and seemed are sooooo shallow, materialistic and vain. All they talk about is tanning beds, expensive cars and jewelry, whose boinking who, plastic surgery and their home renovation nightmares.

No thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'll take city living any day. Living in the suburbs is like living in a cemetery, only instead of rows of granite headstones that all look alike, it's rows or town houses or cookie cutter homes. The only signs of life are when someone charges up the lawnmower/leaf blower/snow blower, or the barking dogs.

That's far from the truth. I have tons of people walking around in the neighborhood. There are 2 playgrounds within 2 blocks of me, and any time of the day you can find at least 10 kids playing on them. I have as many people walking on the sidewalk in front of my house as I did when I lived in the city.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,326,118 times
N.Y.C. suburbs are quite different then other suburbs in the us.. becasue ny is such a large city, the big city vibe can still be felt in the burbs

Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
^^Right, which is my point to this person that not all suburbs are the same.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 AM

466 posts, read 977,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Hmm. I live in the suburbs. The houses next to me look nothing alike, nor do any on our street. Weird.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM

17 posts, read 16,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Hmm. I live in the suburbs. The houses next to me look nothing alike, nor do any on our street. Weird.

I know where you live and who you are and its quite bland.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,596,663 times
Suburban entails getting into the car and driving every time you need a quart of milk or candy bar.
That is the downfall of America.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 31,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Suburban entails getting into the car and driving every time you need a quart of milk or candy bar.
That is the downfall of America.

No Doubt

Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,702,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's far from the truth. I have tons of people walking around in the neighborhood. There are 2 playgrounds within 2 blocks of me, and any time of the day you can find at least 10 kids playing on them. I have as many people walking on the sidewalk in front of my house as I did when I lived in the city.
No it's not far from the truth, not in the suburbs I've lived in, especially the newer ones. Some of the older suburbs have more variety and a little more activity, but for the most part, you need to drive everywhere to get anywhere. I prefer the convenience of the city myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.