U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-19-2009, 03:59 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,012 posts, read 6,530,036 times
Reputation: 4125

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Polltical correctness and modern Liberal Fascism has rendered about every American University substandard these days. Opposing viewpoints are not to be tolerated by administration and faculty, and so the universities resemble indoctrination centers more than institutions of higher learning.
I challenge you to reconsider your opinion once you've visited some colleges. My alma mater of Purdue, for example, was quite conservative in outlook by the (slim) majority of students. That makes sense because the majority of students are from rural Indiana, which is conservative.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,183 posts, read 6,825,361 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Harvard.
i agree
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: West Seattle, WA
12,873 posts, read 19,561,945 times
Reputation: 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I challenge you to reconsider your opinion once you've visited some colleges. My alma mater of Purdue, for example, was quite conservative in outlook by the (slim) majority of students. That makes sense because the majority of students are from rural Indiana, which is conservative.
Having taught at three large east coast universities, I am well aware of the exceptions. However, I am also acutely aware of the rule.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: West Seattle, WA
12,873 posts, read 19,561,945 times
Reputation: 5776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
i agree
The truth about Harvard is that is has a mediocre undergraduate school that rides on the back of the reputation of its' graduate schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,390 times
Reputation: 14
I don't even know where to begin.

University Rankings, primarily USNews are primarily flawed because their top criteria, percentage-wise happens to be "Academic Reputation."

Puh-lease! That is the biggest cop-out in terms of actually ranking a university on anything objective, and should, from the outset, discredit said ranking, particularly when it accounts for 22% May I suggest 0%?

So, we have to start, then, with Ivy-League schools, particularly Harvard. Then we have to include schools in the Big Ten, which have long been seen, reputation wise as academically superior. Why? Stanford and Cal make the list, and near the top.

Schools that have artificially competitive admission standards because of statewide prepaid plans/rapid population growth that drive up competition. Can you say UF, and FSU? Maybe UMiami is over-rated too. UCF is probably under-rated, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Schools chronically under-rated: Try some academically successful schools out West when you look at National Merit Scholars per capita, Endowment per pupil, Student/faculty ratio...you know, the things that actually matter. How about University of Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico? You won't find any of those highly ranked in USNews. But look up the facts. I dare you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 6,068,631 times
Reputation: 2226
I don't know a thing about this subject but I'd venture to say Harvard, simply because it's always been the benchmark to compare against and it's the most recognizeable name in schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 01:50 AM
 
Location: West Village, New York
1,155 posts, read 1,472,709 times
Reputation: 1235
Going by the top 50 in the rankings published by US News...

Overrated: Dartmouth, Brown, Notre Dame, USC, Boston College, Brandeis, Lehigh, UC-Davis, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Irvine...All of these are great universities, but I don't feel they should be ranked as high as they are.

Underrated: UC-Berkeley, Michigan, UNC-Chapel Hill, UC-San Diego, Wisconsin, Illinois...These schools are all well known as great schools, but I think they are all even better than what their rankings suggest. It's nuts that Berkeley is not even ranked in the top 20, and that schools like Wisconsin and Illinois are not even in the top 40.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Athens, GA (via Pittsburgh, PA)
9,741 posts, read 8,764,532 times
Reputation: 8864
Any of the Ivy League schools. Graduates from those schools are largely responsible for the current condition of the United States.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Athens, GA (via Pittsburgh, PA)
9,741 posts, read 8,764,532 times
Reputation: 8864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it depends on where you go and the individual faculty member too. I doubt that colleges like Oral Roberts, Liberty, Bob Jones, Nyack College, Notre Dame and many others fit that bill.
Bob Jones University is bat**** crazy the other way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Clendenin, WV
3,733 posts, read 3,270,591 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Any of the Ivy League schools. Graduates from those schools are largely responsible for the current condition of the United States.
You couldn't have said it any better
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top