Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

I'd guess some place in Hawaii, California, or coastal Oregon. Most of those places have a high cost of living, but not all.

In Hawaii Hilo seems to have a fairly low cost of living. Hilo might be warmer than you want, but I'm not sure. Lanai City, Maui is also below average for cost of living and a bit cooler than Hilo if I'm reading it right. (Despite having the name "city" in it it seems to be a moderately small town with a Filipino plurality)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lanai-City-Hawaii.html

Honolulu county seems to be pretty expensive, but the rest of Hawaii comes out less so going by the site.

In California Santa Maria looked within average cost of living. Although their unemployment and crime rate is a bit above average, but maybe within bounds.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html

Coos Bay, Oregon is maybe cheaper than the towns listed previous. It's a bit on the cool side, but doesn't seem to get below 40 too much and its snowfall amount is below national average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Coos-Bay-Oregon.html

(I know much of what I'm listing aren't really "cities", but there's going to be less variety if I limited to that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
LA, San Francisco, San Diego... Just stick with the west coast.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
The Florida Keys, Southern California, Hawaii.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
FL keys summer are hot and the sun is very strong. The worst sunburn I've ever had was in the keys... in MARCH.

It's 8:20AM and the temp in Key West is 84F, feels like 91F, 72% humidity. That is HOT. It is not even summer yet. It's slightly cooler than the rest of FL, especially inland, but... to most people I think they would say that is hot w/ a summer that lasts 7-8 months w/ temps over 85.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Bluefield, WV
Elevation 2900ft

Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Title says it all. 50 degrees and 60 degrees in the winter sounds nice, but then I think about how much I hate humidity and high heat. Any spots inthe USA?
Here in Portland, OR, it isn't that bad. We are very mild almost all year, and probably in the top 4 or 5 cities in the nation in terms of overall mildness when it comes to our weather. We are usually between 40-50F in the winter day and night, and between 75-90 in the summer day and night. Rarely--maybe a dozen times a year or so, do we go outside those ranges.

The thing is however, you would need to put up with a LOT of cloudy, drizzly days. It is overcast here about 98% all day and night from Oct through June, but about 10% from July to September. Our summers are usually dry, however, we will have a couple of days where the humidity from the night sticks around during the day, but those are far and few between.

We are also an hour from the mountains, and an hour from the coast, with LOTS to see and do anytime of the year, but OTOH, we have currently, one of the worst economies in the nation, and if you're lucky enough to find a job, better than a 50% chance it is in sales, or working through a temp staffing service ( with no benefits. )

Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
LA, San Francisco, San Diego... Just stick with the west coast.
This assessment would be correct. I'll add Portland and Seattle to that list too.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Hawaii is VERY humid. While you'd never have to worry about snow there, you would certainly need A/C on all the time!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Maybe Northern Florida. Certainly not the Keys, or South Florida.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Maybe Northern Florida. Certainly not the Keys, or South Florida.
Northern FL is still rather muggy. You have to go farther north even north of Atlanta, and I might even add, further north than Tennessee, before you start escaping the Gulf moisture that surrounds that area. Ohio is still humid, but a much less extent than within 800 miles of the Gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.