Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metros could Atlanta overtake?
Washington D.C. (pop. 5.3 million) 99 46.92%
Miami (pop. 5.4 million) 121 57.35%
Houston (pop. 5.6 million) 48 22.75%
Philadelphia (pop. 5.8 million) 88 41.71%
Dallas/Ft. Worth (pop. 6.1 million) 26 12.32%
Chicago (pop. 9.5 million) 8 3.79%
Los Angeles (pop. 12.8 million) 5 2.37%
New York City (pop. 18.8 million) 7 3.32%
None of the above 50 23.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times

Advertisements

Hideous!

With that kind of soulless crap going on, NOBODY from that area has a right to say ANYTHING about Atlanta's sprawl. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,873,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Well they sort of disprove your claim of a dying city + region. There is $10 B dollars worth of costruction going in that 1 sq mile of a 5,000 sq mile region.
I'm not as concerned about population ,inmigration/outmigration figures as you are.

The Philadlephia area had its growth spurt 150 years ago. Its arguably the most mature region in the usa and doesnt need the moral support or the need of having 1 million people a decade moving here. Its beyond that.
When did I say that? I personally don't believe Philadelphia is a dying city, as there is a lot of new intown projects (that, yes, I already know about and your figures). New highrises, infill, etc. It's no longer a dying city and getting back. Most cities are doing this nowadays though. Just look at Houston's core, Atlanta's core, Los Angeles' core, Chicago's core, etc. All major US cities nowadays are reinventing their urban areas. Philly is no different.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Well they sort of disprove your claim of a dying city + region. There is $10 B dollars worth of costruction going in that 1 sq mile of a 5,000 sq mile region.
I'm not as concerned about population ,inmigration/outmigration figures as you are.

The Philadlephia area had its growth spurt 150 years ago. Its arguably the most mature region in the usa and doesnt need the moral support or the need of having 1 million people a decade moving here. Its beyond that.
No city needs the moral support or need of absorbing 1 million people - and it was a one time thing, in the last 8 years only. You are implying that it happens each decade. More superior attitude.

I'm glad Center City is doing well. Whats sad is it's a small area in a sea of abandonment and decay in a bombed out war zone.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. Let his feeble mind think that it is somehow elite so he'll feel better about his beloved city that is but a few years away from being Detroit.
Careful chief.

2000 census

Atlanta poverty rate- 24%
Philadephia-21%

Atlanta (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Philadelphia (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

LOL. By the looks of it , it may be quite a few years until it becomes Detroit. You dope.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:59 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,873,146 times
Don't act like Philly is heaven though. My neighbors just came back from Philly and they could not go outside by themselves without walking with their grandparents or cousins who lived in that neighborhood.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. There are articles all over the internet about it, I don't care HOW many statistics you pull out of your butt and manipulate to show differenty. You are well-known on this site for doing so.

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. It is right on Detroit's heels for dying a slow death.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM

I can promise you the poverty rate here has dropped drastically. There is more gentrification going on here than in any other City at the moment. We have demolished almost all of our Housing Projects, and are now considered a National Model for new mixed-income neighborhoods that have replaced them. Over 100,000 people have moved into the City Limits in the past 8 years. The very wealthy have never left the City, they are still here. Our major upscale shopping is done within the City Limits, not King of Prussia. You have no idea at all what you are talking about in regards to Philadelphia vs. Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

I'm glad Center City is doing well. Whats sad is it's a small area in a sea of abandonment and decay in a bombed out war zone.
Whats that old adage? Its better to be quiet and appear stupid than to speak and become stupid. You know absolutely nothing about the city of Philadlephia if you think it is Center City surrounded by a decayed bombed out war zone.

Parts of the city fit that description but other parts of the city would blow the chimney cap off of anything Atlanta has to offer. (Chestnut HIll,West Mt Airy, East Falls,Bella Vista,Manayunk,Cedar park,Spruce HIll Overpark Farms,Soceity HIll) 1/3 of the city is world class, 1/3 of the city is solid middle class, 1/3 of the city has seen much better days.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM

I have been there. I'm not buying it.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. There are articles all over the internet about it, I don't care HOW many statistics you pull out of your butt and manipulate to show differenty. You are well-known on this site for doing so.

Philadelphia is one of the poorest cities in the U.S. It is right on Detroit's heels for dying a slow death.
LOL. Providing a link from the us census bureau is manipulating data?

It is poor just not as poor as Atlanta. When the 2010 census comes out and the stats change for the better give me a holla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.