Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Vibrant states: negative comments dispute, rebuttal, newspapers, conversations, online forum

Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times

Advertisements

I have been on this forum looking at the posts for a few months and I notice a big trend.

In the economically and socially vibrant states when some one makes a critical comment it is defended with a long, relevelant and detailed rebuttle that makes lots of sense.

I know that in the lesser vibrant states and states that have larger problems then most and arent considered good places to live by a vast majority of people that the people tend to dimiss any comments critical of their state.
Its almost like they have no material to dispute the negative comments so they just ignore them or blame the person for not finding the right places to go or calling them naive.

It has been interesting to see the differences in how people respond to comments that arent exactly positive from state to state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:32 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Well if you go into different state forums being critical I'm amazed you haven't been flamed or possibly deleted.
"Treat others as you would like to be treated" is a good old saying.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM

199 posts, read 1,132,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Well if you go into different state forums being critical I'm amazed you haven't been flamed or possibly deleted.
"Treat others as you would like to be treated" is a good old saying.

I don't think he said *he* was travelling forums making negative comments, but reading threads in different state forums. I have only spent time in about 8 state forums, but I would agree with the OP that there is a general trend in responding to negative comments particular to each state in the way he described.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I have been on this forum looking at the posts for a few months and I notice a big trend.

In the economically and socially vibrant states when some one makes a critical comment it is defended with a long, relevelant and detailed rebuttle that makes lots of sense.

I know that in the lesser vibrant states and states that have larger problems then most and arent considered good places to live by a vast majority of people that the people tend to dimiss any comments critical of their state.
Its almost like they have no material to dispute the negative comments so they just ignore them or blame the person for not finding the right places to go or calling them naive.

It has been interesting to see the differences in how people respond to comments that arent exactly positive from state to state.
A lot of those states that you are calling vibrant or desirable are in a sort of denial at many levels. It is normal for them to reject anything they don't want to hear. It may be because it hits home personally to an area they know has some truth and threatens them in their daily lives at some level.

Not only on a forum like this but they react the same way to any information such as newspapers, conversations, etc. Their reaction is it is not happening around me. Places like MA and Boston in particular come to mind. Very few people want to admit the actual conditions they endure everyday. The politicans depend on it.

The other explanation might be those type people have a lot to lose and there is a defensive reaction to anything that threatens them to what is perceived potentially damaging their economic status. Like if people quit coming to this state, house prices will far even further and I personally am in a bit of a tight spot right now. They react and take negative comments very personal.

Also in a lot of those very reactive type state forums you probably have the type states that are unbalanced at some political or economic manner within the geography of the state. One particular region or area dominates the state and there are many underlying reasons for continuous conflict and battles for the lion's share of the economic advantage. A bit like a household that is in constant uproar, everybody at each others throats until an outsider enters the scene. We like our fights about local things we all agree on.

The people in those other type states have already accepted their condition as they find it. If more people move out of the state or don't want to come there so what? Like Ohio, the people understand the state is not one big homogeneous chunk of territory but a super varied state with many possible situations. If you want to bash this spot it might even be true, a fellow can just go over to here. Not all the eggs are in one basket, people in general do not believe everybody in Ohio has exactly the same living situations or feel threatened by whatever change that is occurring on an overall state level.

Then you go places like FL or NJ.

Florida has this built in conflict where they need the tourist / snowbirds but hate the Yankees and most of their problems are all self generated but blamed on the tourist / snowbird. Then it how to screw it all around to get the tourist / snowbirds to pay to fix up the mess made by the year round locals who in general have gone to many excesses. All without causing the tourist / snowbirds to quit coming, which they already have to some degree, which causes another round of blame game none of which is my fault (depending on who is talking). The politicians divide the people up into groups and pit them against each other in a game to further increase prices, taxes and their own wealth. If I lived there year round I would probably be mad at somebody too.

NJ even the politicians can't figure that one out, nobody is happy.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Don't know that this is unique to Florida, but it does seem that many (not the majority) tend to have a victim mentality. They become defensive at things that they consider criticsm rather than thinking about it and asking themselves- could it be true, in which case I should modify my behavior or, if not, could I be acting in a way that projects that perception, in which case I should readjust my actions. Instead the third option becomes their default position- you're a stupid jerk and your are wrong.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
since the Southeast and Southwest are considered the most vibrant economically and socially that is great to hear. All demographics point to that statement

Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
From what I've seen on this board, people in the South and the Northeast tend to be the most sensitive towards criticism, whereas people in the West just let it slide off their backs.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM

69 posts, read 394,105 times
Florida was quite unique to live in. I moved away for family reasons, but overall it was an enjoyable experience. I liked the fact that about everyone was from a different state or nation. But this did cause some tension, as sometimes the snowbirds would call the locals "idiots" or "redneck" while in fact, the locals were most likely from the state the snowbird was from. I don't know why people who moved or visit Florida assume other Floridians are natives, when chances are, they are not. I think the whole time in lived in Brevard County, 2 out of 10 people I met were true natives. I think in a state with such a huge percentage of residents born outside the state, conflict is worse than in a state mostly with natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.