U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM

658 posts, read 2,224,006 times

Advertisements

just wanted to know from born and raised southerners
cause it seems evrybodys moving to the south these days
where are you moving or are you still staying in your hometown and hope that alot of the transplants will finally go back home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,092,635 times
sadly, the transplants are all going back home so we have to make them welcomed. There are some, like many professional blacks whose families were from the south and they see it as the mecca to return because they can afford homes, there is exploding job opportunities and many of the old south issues are gone. The rest are retires whom we like and people moving to the suburban areas of big cities like ATL, Charlotte, Raliegh during.

we have to embrace change but keep our values intact

Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,674,758 times
Well, I was born and raised in the south, but am a transplant where I live now. I don't really plan on moving, although I do miss TN sometimes. I know not everyone in my town/area will move "back home" and if that happened, we'd almost have a ghost town.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:57 PM

469 posts, read 2,557,223 times
Born and raised in Mississippi, now live as far south as you can get without being in the Gulf of Mexico. It's odd suddenly seeing all these Michiganers and Nebraskans in Gulfport (seriously, has the entire population of Detroit moved to South MS?). I do hope that all together we can make a good thing even better.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM

325 posts, read 1,297,331 times
I always wondered if there were any towns up north in which southerners have flocked to? You know, maybe a town in upstate NY where everyone's from the South and they have Dale Jr. bumper stickers, 4 wheelers, hunting dogs, and they eat grits with sausage gravy and listen to Bocephus.

Just a thought based on the northern exodus into my area (NC). I'm just pokin' fun at all the transplants, no hard feelings.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,789,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
I always wondered if there were any towns up north in which southerners have flocked to? You know, maybe a town in upstate NY where everyone's from the South and they have Dale Jr. bumper stickers, 4 wheelers, hunting dogs, and they eat grits with sausage gravy and listen to Bocephus.

Just a thought based on the northern exodus into my area (NC). I'm just pokin' fun at all the transplants, no hard feelings.

I can tell you from experience that most Metro-Detroiters are from the 'south'. (W.Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama and Mississippi)

Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post

lol that would be pretty cool

Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I can tell you from experience that most Metro-Detroiters are from the 'south'. (W.Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama and Mississippi)
wow why detroit i dont get that

Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,789,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
wow why detroit i dont get that
Auto manufacturing jobs. Lots and lots of people 'immigrated' to the metro-Detroit region and typically retire back to where they came from. (da south)

People nowadays are second or third generations 'removed' from the 'south', but still have strong roots (family and friends) there still.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,674,758 times
I know that many years ago, lots of southerners moved to places like Chicago...or to the steel mill areas. There just wasn't a lot of industry in the south at the time to keep them here. But times and things change so I doubt there's been a big South-to-North exodus in recent years. (But it would be fun to see a diner in the north having grits and sausage gravy with biscuits!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or