U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:30 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,667,587 times

Advertisements

So what is the point of this post? Are you trying to insult NAH, Blue Springs VA, or both? Did you really make time on your trip, just for the sake of insulting a person and a town? How many hours did you spend on this?

The pictures you took were pretty good. I hope you submit them to city-data. It seems you are trying to demean the town of Blue Springs, but it doesn't look as awful as you make it out to be. It's certainly not Beverly Hills, but it's not the slums of Camden, NJ, either. I hope you spend more time enjoying the amenities of where ever you live, and less time trying to insult people and places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,814,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
So what is the point of this post? Are you trying to insult NAH, Blue Springs VA, or both? Did you really make time on your trip, just for the sake of insulting a person and a town? How many hours did you spend on this?

The pictures you took were pretty good. I hope you submit them to city-data. It seems you are trying to demean the town of Blue Springs, but it doesn't look as awful as you make it out to be. It's certainly not Beverly Hills, but it's not the slums of Camden, NJ, either. I hope you spend more time enjoying the amenities of where ever you live, and less time trying to insult people and places.
I don't think he was trying to demean either. And it's Bluefield, not Blue Springs. If you've read many of NAH's posts, he goes on and on about areas of which he knows little and repeats himself over and over with inaccurate information. Then, he'll flip flop and repeat the exact opposite of what he stated elsewhere. He states opinion as fact and rarely responds to other's questions. He drones on and on, yet I think he kind of grows on you.

When someone questions his statements, he just keeps repeating them. The OP made a road trip to one of NAH's Camelots and is providing his feedback and pix, which NAH and others were interested to see.

There are several of us who are looking forward to hearing about NAH's trip to Oil city. He has always lived at home, does not own a car and does not have a job other than a fledgling web graphics busness- he's just starting out and is quite naive. I think we are anxious to vicariously experience his new paradigms as he ventures out in the world to test his theories.

He makes me laugh some time, crazy other times, but I have to say that I admire his tenacity. He is not easily discouraged. Maybe a number of us wish we had a little of NAH's tenacity and naitivity in us.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:11 PM

15,595 posts, read 35,299,091 times
I'm still confused. I'm sure it would look nicer in the summer when everything is green. But they have paved streets! You definately would not like Alaska. Many places have similar up's and down's as they are located on the side of a mountain or large bluff area over looking the ocean. But alot of unpaved streets.
Your paradise may be someone else's junk yard and visa versa. Thanks for the pictures...as I don't ever recall seeing any from Virginia before. But I still have this uneasy feeling about the point of this thread. Tell me you did not make that trip, just to bash another persons moving there? And who's to say you only took pictures of certain areas and not everything?

Old 02-26-2007, 05:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,464,052 times
Looks like a cute small town to me. I wouldn't choose to live so close to my neighbors, but that doesn't bother many. I'd choose to live in the hills and the valleys away from neighbor closeness.

I moved to the country in TX from Burbank, California where I lived from the time I was 14 months old until 28 years. Trust me, it does NOT take long to get adjusted to small-town living. It is wonderful. I'm not sure, but I think NAH is young. I was young at the time, 28, with two small children. I will NEVER live in a city again. Rural is the only way to go for me, then and now as I approach my sunset years.

Isn't it supposed to be gloomy in most places in the winter? If you think that sky is black, you should see the Texas sky when spring thunderstorms are upon us. Sometimes it even turns green, very scary.

Great pictures as I wanted to see what Bluefield looked like. Thanks!!

Good luck to NAH on your continued search. Perseverance will pay off in the long run.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM

Ok...I'm not familiar with this NAH guy or his history. It just struck me wierd that someone would go out of thier way to make a trip like this. I mean if the guy is that young...perhaps just ignoring him would suffice? Rather than road tripping for pictures and degrading the town? That sounds a little odd in my book.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,814,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Ok...I'm not familiar with this NAH guy or his history. It just struck me wierd that someone would go out of thier way to make a trip like this. I mean if the guy is that young...perhaps just ignoring him would suffice? Rather than road tripping for pictures and degrading the town? That sounds a little odd in my book.
You just gotta read NAH's posts to appreciate this thread. Click on his name and read some. He finds these places with 50k homes and goes on about how you should spend no more than 25% of your income on housing. We all really want to believe that could be possible, I think, but know better. But, then, what if he is right? But we know he isn't. But what if he is... Ya just gotta read them.

I don't know the OP, but would bet anything that if Bluefield was really great, he would have loved to have reported back with that info.

NAH has a website that promotes "mating" for procreation only. Not sure what is up with that, but he went to the trouble of making a website about it- how many of us follow through on our big ideas?

Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,079,069 times
NAH is trying to flesh out his fantasies and he's clearly a young man whose desire to become a homeowner is deep. He's in an area of depreciating, but still too expensive homes with withering property taxes and home insurance costs and he's simply projecting on this site.
I did the same thing when I used to fantasize about owning a home, which I almost thought would never come true. Now I've owned three and I'm in a beautiful home owned free and clear.
But when I was doing what NAH is doing, the internet wasn't an option. There was no one to share my fantasies and questions and learned data with.
I say if you are tired of his posts, stop reading them. Leave the kid alone. He's got dreams. Once he's out in the world and looking at things himself, I think things will snap into perspective and he'll be able to ascertain reality from fantasy.
Then again...who knows...he may end up world-famous and the Donald Trump of his generation and very successful. Stranger things have happened.
I think it's pointless trying to force what you think is reality on someone. You can point out in reply to a specific posting your view, but to start a thread where the premise seems to be jumping another poster...
I think that's uncalled for.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:46 PM

hereinfla...I think I'll just take your word for it!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,732,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Naw, I don't hate anything in Canada, just ain't going anywhere near it in winter. Too many Friends North of the Border seem to agree. Half of Canada seems to be in Florida.

I would just move to somewhere in Ohio or stay in Canada for 9 months and join the crowd in Florida for the nasty months.
LOL!

Nasty-cold months = early October to late March (Normally)

Sometimes nasty cold starts in late September...

Sometimes nasty cold is consistent until mid June...

July,
and a week before and after the month is the only time individual nasty cold days is not normal.

I've had fingers turn purple and hurt real bad boating around August 20 th.
(52 F, 15-25 mph wind and constant sideways-blowing rain all afternoon)

Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,638,144 times
Default Yup, it is hard to do a guy a favor anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I don't think he was trying to demean either. And it's Bluefield, not Blue Springs. If you've read many of NAH's posts, he goes on and on about areas of which he knows little and repeats himself over and over with inaccurate information. Then, he'll flip flop and repeat the exact opposite of what he stated elsewhere. He states opinion as fact and rarely responds to other's questions. He drones on and on, yet I think he kind of grows on you.

When someone questions his statements, he just keeps repeating them. The OP made a road trip to one of NAH's Camelots and is providing his feedback and pix, which NAH and others were interested to see.

There are several of us who are looking forward to hearing about NAH's trip to Oil city. He has always lived at home, does not own a car and does not have a job other than a fledgling web graphics busness- he's just starting out and is quite naive. I think we are anxious to vicariously experience his new paradigms as he ventures out in the world to test his theories.

He makes me laugh some time, crazy other times, but I have to say that I admire his tenacity. He is not easily discouraged. Maybe a number of us wish we had a little of NAH's tenacity and naitivity in us.
Yup, you got a good memory. This lil trip was the result of my own personal curosity and repeated requests from NAH and a few others. Originally I had planned on stopping on the way down to Florida but I got there too early in the morning it was just getting light, plus it would have screwed up my planned trip schedule, so I begged off and rescheduled it for a try on the return.

Didn't work out that bad, I got in there on a Sunday about 11:00 am, there was no snow on the ground and the weather was super cloudy but not raining. And it really was in WV and the place really is called Bluefield. Pretty bad when they accuse you of bad motives and don't even know what the place is called and then claim you are flaming or bashing. H,mmm that seems to cut both ways, especially when they don't have a clue what is being discussed or even the ability to read what is written. Way back when was a fancy mining type town, has a history. The one thing that peaked my interest one of my neighbors knew all about the town back when it was more in its hey-day. His advice is stay far, far away, usually he knows this region very well and don't get it much wrong.

In fact you can stream the local TV station and read the two newspapers on-line. That managed to turn up the fact that particular county had a high number of heroin users in treatment, plus other assorted facts. Some times you just got to see it. Was used as a dumping grounds to house some of the people from the Katrina disaster. Still it is difficult to get a sense of what the place is really like, even if you do a sky view fly over on the Web, most things are misleading. NAH made many claims about how cheap it should be and would not hear any comments to the contrary. Hence the hands on visit.

The few photos really don't give a true sense of the place. It is like a couple of towns, sort of joined in a fashion. The shopping district is at the top of a big hill sort of flat ground, there is a mall and like a strip of stores along the highway, some more modern houses up there. Then you go down a long hill, along that slope is probably the better part of town, mostly all brick houses, some look very fancy, probably the ones that sell for $200K or so. Not too rocky, laid out more like your typical urban setting.

Then at the bottom of this long hill it goes into some steep curves and you come out into what is the old town business district, plus the old housing districts. Things are a bit jumbled, everything is displaced in elevation to everything else. All built around the topography demands of the old days. The type of place where every lil inch of your "Turf" probably counts. The rougher parts of town have this way of making you a little uneasy.

The thing back when this was discussed a lot more was only the house price counted. In fact I doubt NAH has the price points correct, the better sections of town probably sell for good money, it is the older sections that are cheap, probably for the reasons that you can almost feel.

The super big negative from my viewpoint is the town is just so isolated from any other larger population center in any direction. Might not be my cup of tea if houses were a fraction of their present price. Tough to judge a place like that on first impressions but I doubt spending a lot of time would increase my opinion. You are in areas of good mountain ranges, getting off the only freeway in the area might prove to be like a lot of WV roads, narrow, windy, long and usually up hill. Nice to do it once but I never want it as my normal path in any state.

I got a feeling this NAH Oil City adventure trip might not come off. He has done this blowing very hot on a place and then getting cold feet. I will be up in that area in a while. Got to ask my BIL what he knows about Oil City. He has been all over that area of PA. I might even pop over to see it first hand myself. Never really get the true sense by any other method.

I still think NAH is made for Shadyside, OH. Or maybe even Bellaire, OH. The Wal-Mart is not that far away. Bellaire might even have something in brick for $50K with a basment. Large houses were very popular in those areas back a ways. In a pinch maybe could still do Chester, WV, that monster brick mansion might still be available. I got a feeling Oil City is going to be a bit on the dense packed side of things. Bellaire does get coverage in the regional newspapers, nothing usually too gross. Few folks stealing this or that, some drugs but nothing really bad seems to happen. The couple of times I read the Oil City papers they seemed to have some things going on. Oil City has been the hot city for the longest on any Paradise. At some point it is just going to have to be explored by somebody.

Now I guess I will get bashed for trashing the cream of PA's Paradise, O' Well those are the breaks when you actually see it up close and personal, the warts sometimes shows.

Like the news media, you get to spin the story your way if you go and take the film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.