Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:20 PM

14 posts, read 33,166 times

Advertisements

I've won the green card visa lottery!! It’s always been a bit of a dream to live in the USA and now I can, but there are quite a few questions which I hope you good people can help me with.

One problem is I live in Sydney, which beats all your cities hands down on the ‘best places to live in the world’ index. We have good working conditions, free health care, warm climate, low crime. If I was a disillusioned Californian like so many on these boards I’d say move here!!

So why on earth would I want to move to America? Well, I’m 46, I've worked hard to raise my daughter on my own, and I’m ready for a change. Why give up such an opportunity? America is so diverse, with such energy and contradictions. I think it would be a fascinating place to live. Also, its an opportunity for my daughter (15) to have the option to live and work here.

We love art and we'd love to live in New York but clearly you have to be very rich, on subsidized rent or prepared to do a long commute. So – sadly, that’s out. California is much closer to home but everything I read seems to say crime, smog, urban sprawl plus super expensive houses, unless you live in the desert.

I need to find a job (writing/editing/web work), and I’d love to be able to walk to it, or very short commute.

I like trains – hate having to get around by car everywhere. A good train system is very desirable.

We’re used to fresh real food too. We were shocked by the plastic food in downtown New York.

A good university, especially for the arts (we can’t possibly afford private)

I’m worried about being able to cope with your climate. I’d choose culture over climate but I think long, bitter winters would be a bit hard to take.

Somewhere that’s cultured, liberal, walkable, on a good train line, diverse cultures, lots of choice, great food, near water (ocean, river, lake), low crime, reasonable rents, has jobs, with a good State university, OK climate.

That’s all I’m asking for….

So – any suggestions, after you’ve stopped laughing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:30 PM

63 posts, read 343,084 times
Maybe San Francisco if you can afford it.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:36 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Check out the Crime Survey of 17 Industrialized Countries published by the Dutch Ministry of Justice and UN international crime comparisons data and you'll see that Australia is Number One for crime, including violent crime. The methodology used to collect and equilize the data is standardized and is explained in the survey. It treats each country with the same standards. Australia is number one for crime with Britain (England/Wales) next, The Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, and the U.S. comes in at 13th just behind France.
Americans are safer than Europeans and other westerners outside inner city zones and most of our murders (where we continue to lead by statistics) are committed (52%) in inner city gang-related violence. The vast majority of Americans are unaffected.
While I love Australia, like the people too, there's no way I'd trade living in the U.S. for it. There's simply no comparison and less reason for you to feel smug for it.

Last edited by MoMark; 01-25-2007 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 07:37 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
With a smug attitude like that, please stay home. Nobody wants to be subject to your insufferable whining over the inferiority of their city, which if they met you, I'm sure they would be.

...and don't, whatever you do, move to Chicago, least I run into you on the street and have to hear about our 'plastic food' and 'lack of culture' while you peer down your nose at me.

I'm a fairly well traveled individual and would never dream of stepping foot into another country with that attitude and expect any sort of hospitality.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 PM

63 posts, read 343,084 times
GreenCardWinner, makin' friends

Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
You might want to start over, as clearly some of the fine readers and contributors here found your post tasteless.

Frankly, I read through your post and thought I'd get back to it later and later brought these responses.

As I have a fair number of Australian friends, I'll write it off as tongue in cheek humour--without prejudice--and on the internet.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:45 PM

14 posts, read 33,166 times
Default Sorry

Hi, thanx ontheroad - you picked up the Aussie sense of irony.. but I realise it sounds like a big smug whinge and I didn't really intend to come across that way! Sorry - how do I take this post off and start again?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Goodo, lassie - Look to your right, you'll see a little boxie triangle thing (hit it) and send a message to have the post deleted. Just a brief request!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencardwinner View Post
Hi, thanx ontheroad - you picked up the Aussie sense of irony.. but I realise it sounds like a big smug whinge and I didn't really intend to come across that way! Sorry - how do I take this post off and start again?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
If it is in jest, then good luck to you. I'm sure you'll find a place you'll enjoy. Just disregard my previous post as just some yank who didn't get it ... I realize that sometimes the internet doesn't quite convey the spirit of a post (and lord knows I've had my tongue in cheek moments of my own that were lost on other people).

Old 01-25-2007, 10:23 PM

53 posts, read 204,343 times
The paris of the north is Montreal, Quebec. Go to skyscraperpage forum or urbanplanet.org for pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.