Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
For at least 20 years now, it's been common to refer to "Boswash," as a single urbanized entity--virtually a single metropolitan area--stretching from Boston to Washington, DC. So we've all been annexed!
No, that's a megalopolis.

Metropolitan Areas are way more interdependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM

The last major consolidation was Providence being combined with Boston, it surpassed the 15% threshold of commuters headed into the Boston MSA.

A fast approaching consolidation is Stockton, CA as it currently sends about 13% of its workers to the SF CSA. I think that could happen as soon as 2010-maybe a few years after.

Also, Stockton and Modesto are fast becoming more and more interdependent jobwise, their combined population is 1.1 Million so I think by 2020 they might be combined as one MSA and part of the greater SF CSA.

Other than that, further out I see Monterey and Santa Cruz(already part of the Bay Area) perhaps combining and in the North Bay, Id say Lake and Mendocino Counties are good candidates to be combined with the Bay Area.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
NYC and Boston metros are becoming very close - nearly touching. I think there is only one small county in Connecticut (Tolland) separating the NYC metro from the Boston metro.

As for Boston being annexed - it'll never happen. Big difference in culture - and CT is the mutt.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
What is the latest categorization of Baltimore and Washington? The last I saw, maybe a couple of years ago, they were still two separate MSA's which together were the principal cities of a CSA. If and when these two form one MSA, that might be a candidate. Otherwise, I would think it would be somewhere in the Sun Belt. I don't really know, but I'll throw out another possibility. This would be southeastern FL, if I've heard correctly that Miami and Palm Beach have recently merged into one MSA.
Actually, Baltimore and Washington was considered one MSA until the Census 2000 when the Census Bureau split the two apart.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
What about Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, and Aurora? Could it be considered the Front Range Metro?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
What about Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, and Aurora? Could it be considered the Front Range Metro?
Denver, Aurora and Boulder are already part of the same 'Combined Statistical Area'

Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

A fast approaching consolidation is Stockton, CA as it currently sends about 13% of its workers to the SF CSA. I think that could happen as soon as 2010-maybe a few years after.

Also, Stockton and Modesto are fast becoming more and more interdependent jobwise, their combined population is 1.1 Million so I think by 2020 they might be combined as one MSA and part of the greater SF CSA.
Montclair, do you have any statistics on the amount of cross-commuting between Stockton and Sacramento? To my eye that would appear to be the more likely MSA consolidation. But I guess if the Bay Area has the stronger job lure, maybe Sacto will miss out.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Montclair, do you have any statistics on the amount of cross-commuting between Stockton and Sacramento? To my eye that would appear to be the more likely MSA consolidation. But I guess if the Bay Area has the stronger job lure, maybe Sacto will miss out.
Yeah,
Sacramento is logically better positioned to add Stockton but the worker flow is just much stronger west than north.

Stockton to Sacramento: 7,141 daily workers in 2000

Stockton to the Bay Area: 34,117 daily commuters in 2000

Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
NYC and Boston metros are becoming very close - nearly touching. I think there is only one small county in Connecticut (Tolland) separating the NYC metro from the Boston metro.
That's not true. The NYC CSA only includes the three westernmost counties in CT (Fairfield, New Haven, and Litchfield), none of which are part of the core NYC MSA.

The Boston CSA doesn't extend into CT at all (the western extent is Worcester county and RI), and the MSA doesn't even reach Worcester.

Eastern CT (Windham, Tolland, New London, and Middlesex counties) has a much lower population density than the rest of the state, and in fact this area (in addition to western RI) forms the only real rural "gap" in the BosWash corridor.

So as for Boston not being absorbed by NYC - I agree with you completely.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
I hope Hartford doesn't sprawl east. That stretch from Hartford to Worcester is a beautiful and unspoiled stretch in the Bos/Wash Corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.