U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 PM

69 posts, read 272,877 times

Advertisements

Nashville's skyline is very underrated, especially with the bell south building (aka the batman building)

Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 PM

56 posts, read 190,089 times
I think its obvious that New York and Chicago have the biggest most breathtaking skylines. However, the third biggest, Houston, I like even better as well as Pittsburgh and San Francisco.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 PM

7,828 posts, read 12,346,555 times
I think Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas have the most impressive skylines, followed by Chicago, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. (Yes, Vegas at night!!). In fact, the movie RoboCop, which takes place in Detroit in the future was filmed in Dallas because during the 80s Dallas's skyline was considered very futuristic. Its still quite impressive.

In general, southern and southwestern cities have flashier, more modern skylines. The New York City skyline is big but its rather ugly, a lot of stone, brick, brown buildings. Its kind of similar in Baltimore (though this is beginning to change), Philadelphia, Boston, and other cities in the Northeat and the Upper Midwest.

Many foreign cities like Tokyo, Toronto, Sydney, and Hong Kong have better skylines than New York. Yes, a lot of people think NYC when they think of America but New YOrk City is an old city, unlike the real modern places elsewhere in the country. Like in Houston its all glass and steel which I believe is a lot nicer looking than masonry buildings. The Enron building is actually very good architecturally.

Downtown Los Angeles and Century City have some nice looking buildings, once again my personal taste alone. Miami is also not bad.

Chicago has an amazing skyline, especially matched with the lake, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. If only it wasn't so cold....

Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 AM

7,828 posts, read 12,346,555 times
Thanks for the link. I always thought Chicago had a great skyline. I've flown through O'Hare so many times on plane stops and teh view is always impressive, coming in across the lake and seeing all the amazing buildings, esp. the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Center, not to mention the lake shore. And I always fly in the summer so its always bright blue.

In that link what I found really cool was more so the lake than the buildings. Especially that pic with those huge WAVES. True story here (though off topic)...my friend is a lifeguard over the summer at a beach in Maryland and he said they had this competition where some ppl from Chicago won and I was just....its a lake, they have waves there? And he told me everyone was surprised to find that out too.

Chicago definitely beats NY both in the skyline itself and the natural setting, except for the weather. But its actually prettier than Los Angeles! But no offense at all, why is Chicago the second city when LA is actually #2 in terms of population?

Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Thanks for the link. I always thought Chicago had a great skyline. I've flown through O'Hare so many times on plane stops and teh view is always impressive, coming in across the lake and seeing all the amazing buildings, esp. the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Center, not to mention the lake shore. And I always fly in the summer so its always bright blue.

In that link what I found really cool was more so the lake than the buildings. Especially that pic with those huge WAVES. True story here (though off topic)...my friend is a lifeguard over the summer at a beach in Maryland and he said they had this competition where some ppl from Chicago won and I was just....its a lake, they have waves there? And he told me everyone was surprised to find that out too.

Chicago definitely beats NY both in the skyline itself and the natural setting, except for the weather. But its actually prettier than Los Angeles! But no offense at all, why is Chicago the second city when LA is actually #2 in terms of population?
Glad you enjoyed the link!

As for the weather here, its not that bad. Its really similar to NYC, but I think our summers are better, and we dont have any nor'easters to worry about either. However, when the winds get whippin, they can create some decent swells on Lake Michigan. Theyre not Hawaii-like waves, but pretty decent! Too bad I dont surf. LOL

Chicago has always been known as the "second city", even though its population is smaller than LA's. NYC is always the first, Chicago second, in terms of skyline, big-city life, etc. LA just doesnt offer that. LA is a different story altogether.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM

6,984 posts, read 14,115,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
LA is too spread out to have one major DT. i live on the coast and it takes 2+ hours to get to DT on any day, on a quiet day. if u added up all our skylines & buildings, it would be huge. theres century city, long beach, wilshire blvd., hollywood, santa monica, irvine, el segundo, newport, oxnard. most ppl that can afford to make a business building or can work in one want to be somewhere safe in a nice area. DT LA gets hot, dirty, hobos, traffic, far, ugly scenery in summer. that's why long beach has grown amazingly fast. i mean fast as lightning. some very tall buildings there for the cit size. also the
US Bank tower us the tallest west oh chicago. we cant go much higher b/c of safety concerns for earthquakes. ppl here are ashamed of it, but when we realize how many DTs there are, we don't get that sad. there are many buildings throughout all of LA that have just gruoped together become an second, thrid, fourth, etc. DT

Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,331,876 times
Chicago is called the "second city" because after the fire, they rebuilt chicago as a "new city", so it was the "second city" on that site. It has nothing to do with population

Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
Chicago is called the "second city" because after the fire, they rebuilt chicago as a "new city", so it was the "second city" on that site. It has nothing to do with population
Thats true, but noone uses the phrase "second city" about the rebirth, more because we are always in NYC's shadow.

I dont like Chicago's nicknames, noone can seem to agree about them. LOL "Windy City"? Ugh. Same goes for "Chi-town". Noone here calls Chicago "Chi-town". Lets just call it Chicago and be done with it. LOL

Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,773,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats true, but noone uses the phrase "second city" about the rebirth, more because we are always in NYC's shadow.
But only as can be expected. In a good way. Don't you know how powerful and revered the city of Chicago is?

Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
But only as can be expected. In a good way. Don't you know how powerful and revered the city of Chicago is?
I guess not. Ive lived in the area most my life, so Im kinda oblivious to it I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or