U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,097,897 times
Reputation: 4553

Advertisements

Angelenos don't think so. We are the second city in our minds.

 
Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,764 posts, read 16,877,837 times
Reputation: 9324
Default Vancouver,British Columbia1

Greetings.....

For US cities, my vote goes to San Francisco & Anchorage. I lived in both areas for brief periods of time. I especially loved coming into San Francisco via the Golden Gate bridge near sunset. The sun reflecting off of the white buildings was just magnificent!

The awesome natural setting of Anchorage is rivalved only by Vancouver, British Columbia.

If Canadian cities were to be included, I would pick Vancouver....hands down, over any city in the world.

Best Wishes....Franco
 
Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Orlando Florida
1,352 posts, read 5,793,986 times
Reputation: 411
I love the skyline of MIAMI ....Nowhere and i mean nowhere not even NY can beat that sunset that you see everynight behind Miami's fast growing skyline...with that beautifull water in front.....of coarse New york is the biggest because of how long theyve had to build buildings and it is an awesome skyline but just on looks I love Miami's skyline.....looks more modern to me




my second favorite downtown skyline is San Fransisco....i like cities by the water but not by grey water




for reference i got these pics off of photobucket.com

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 06-07-2007 at 02:20 AM..
 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Angelenos don't think so. We are the second city in our minds.
In many ways, Los Angeles is indeed the second city. But I'm sure others would agree when I say that L.A. shares that title with Chicago from time to time.
 
Old 06-07-2007, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Reputation: 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I love the skyline of MIAMI ....Nowhere and i mean nowhere not even NY can beat that sunset that you see everynight behind Miami's fast growing skyline...with that beautifull water in front.....of coarse New york is the biggest because of how long theyve had to build buildings and it is an awesome skyline but just on looks I love Miami's skyline.....looks more modern to me
Other than the low building (first pic) in the foreground (looks like a convention center or something?), there is not one single building in that skyline that is attractive. Theyre all sticks and they all look the same, but with varying heights. Yawn.
 
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,852 posts, read 8,995,231 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
In many ways, Los Angeles is indeed the second city. But I'm sure others would agree when I say that L.A. shares that title with Chicago from time to time.
Look what happened when Houston tried to copy L.A.'s plans (until recently)--we are spread out. We may have the 3rd largest skyline but nothing to show for it unless all the major business districts are all in that frame. The only way it can be impressive is that everything is located downtown. We are always the fourth city though.
 
Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Look what happened when Houston tried to copy L.A.'s plans (until recently)--we are spread out. We may have the 3rd largest skyline but nothing to show for it unless all the major business districts are all in that frame. The only way it can be impressive is that everything is located downtown. We are always the fourth city though.
You got that right. But it's an issue about getting our developers to start building upwards, and bringing everything back into the city. Yes, moving more things downtown, which would probably be the easiest thing to do because if you already have a great downtown, then the other skylines will just be a plus. A unique plus, exclusive to Houston, at that. That's making the city more centralized. Something that no other city in the Sunbelt seems to be doing well. But we can be the first if plans are smart.

Last edited by mpope409; 06-07-2007 at 10:37 AM..
 
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
A unique plus, exclusive to Houston, at that. That's making the city more centralized. Something that no other city in the Sunbelt seems to be doing well. But we can be the first if plans are smart.
I don't understand this. What actually do you mean by this? Are you saying that Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami, aren't trying to centralize their buildings in the downtown area. Because if so, you're very wrong.
 
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't understand this. What actually do you mean by this? Are you saying that Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami, aren't trying to centralize their buildings in the downtown area. Because if so, you're very wrong.
You understand exactly what I'm saying, Spade. You just couldn't help but to pick a fight. Miami maybe, but Dallas and Atlanta, no. Dallas already missed its opportunity of being centralized when it scattered half of everything all over North Texas. And Atlanta is only about one eleventh of its entire metropolitan area. Then again, I think there are no other major business districts in Northwest Georgia which leaves everything outside of Downtown and Midtown largely residential. So maybe I should have disincluded Atlanta...kind of...

Still, no other city will do it better than Houston in the scope of things.

Last edited by mpope409; 06-07-2007 at 11:40 AM..
 
Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,370 posts, read 12,981,245 times
Reputation: 5354
Default Seattle

Maybe not the MOST breathtaking but pretty nice imo.





Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top