U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times

Advertisements

That mountain peak 100 miles away basically makes the skyline doesnt it? Holy smokes what kind of telescopic zoom did you have on your camera?

With that Nasa Gorilla zoom Seattle looks especially good. To the common eye, 175 degrees around its just Ok. Certainly not in the top 7. Not enough density.

You guys go gaga over these Johnny- come- lately vertical suburban office parks like Houston,Atl,Dallas which are attempting to pose as skylines. No offense but those skylines are a joke.

1.NYC
2.Chicago
3.SF
4.Philadelphia
5.Boston
6.Big drop off
7.Everyone else.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 81,507 times
I totally agree.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Its not so much the actual architecture that sets Pittsburgh's skyline apart, but its the approach. From the south its the most dramatic: thru the tunnel and WHAM- its right in front of you. From the east it is revealed a bit more slowly from left to right, as you come around a hill along the river bend.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I agree. NYC has no amazing architecture or breathtaking scenery. It's a concrete jungle with tall buildings, nothing that makes you take a second look. Here's a view of the NYC skyline:

Nothing that impresses me. Now the Denver skyline is breathtaking, the mountains really set it off.
I'll give you that NYC has no "breathtaking mountains" but in this picture alone, do you not see the amazing architecture. From Ceasar Pelli's world famous World Financial Center right next to the river, 40 Wall Street, the Woolworth Building? Are you crazy? NYC has consistently made Skyscraper history. Think of the Chrysler Building and The Empire State Building? Citigroup Center? Met Life Tower? The Seagram Building? The view you showed is not particularly flattering, but it's also not the entire skyline. The tallest buildings are in midtown. In my book New York and Chicago are the two Mega-Skylines with the most history.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,086,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustbeltRocks View Post
I'll give you that NYC has no "breathtaking mountains" but in this picture alone, do you not see the amazing architecture. From Ceasar Pelli's world famous World Financial Center right next to the river, 40 Wall Street, the Woolworth Building? Are you crazy? NYC has consistently made Skyscraper history. Think of the Chrysler Building and The Empire State Building? Citigroup Center? Met Life Tower? The Seagram Building? The view you showed is not particularly flattering, but it's also not the entire skyline. The tallest buildings are in midtown. In my book New York and Chicago are the two Mega-Skylines with the most history.
Wow, I agree! NYC, Chicago, and Seattle are stunning.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
"NYC has almost 80 buildings 500 feet and taller"

Tell me about Chicago, and Dallas, and the yawn from Utah and Hong Kong and the landfill.

80 damn buildings 500 feet and taller. You hear?

Now, don't mess with New York, dammit.
Umm, Chicago blows New York out of the water in terms of height, anymore. Not only does it have the tallest building in the hemisphere, and soon the second tallest building in the world, it has a total of 89 buildings over 500 feet and counting. Manhattan wins in sheer number of buildings, with some really notable ones, but Chicago is the inventor and innovator of the modern skyscraper.

Now, Dallas cannot compare to Chicago and New York or Hong Kong, those are the big three.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:26 PM

288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Default you have got to be joking......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
That mountain peak 100 miles away basically makes the skyline doesnt it? Holy smokes what kind of telescopic zoom did you have on your camera?

With that Nasa Gorilla zoom Seattle looks especially good. To the common eye, 175 degrees around its just Ok. Certainly not in the top 7. Not enough density.

You guys go gaga over these Johnny- come- lately vertical suburban office parks like Houston,Atl,Dallas which are attempting to pose as skylines. No offense but those skylines are a joke.

1.NYC
2.Chicago
3.SF
4.Philadelphia
5.Boston
6.Big drop off
7.Everyone else.

saying seattle is not dense
is like saying L.A. doesn't sprawl.

Seattle not top 7 in the US.....lol. Seattle is one of the top Skylines in the world and one of the top 5 in the US.......Best looking in the US IMO.

New York
Seattle
Chicago
San Francisco

after that there are some nice one's like L.A, Miami, Philly, and so on.

But really Seattle hands down is in a league of it's own, Along with New York (size and stature). I put Chicago up there only because of it's size and proximity to the water, very impressive from a distance, but ugly buildings.

Boston, I'm sorry does not have an impressive skyline at all. It does look ok, not bad, but comparing it to Seattle's beautiful big skyline, is a serious mismatch and unfortunate situation to put Boston in. It's like comparing this years Dream team to Team China. Not even in the same playing field.

Nice city though. The Celtics look good this year too.

Here is Boston

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

Old 10-20-2007, 10:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Whatever. That comment proves to me that you've never been into the downtowns of either of these cities. Lie if you want to, but I know you haven't.

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Houston
4. Atlanta
5. Dallas
6. Philadelphia
7. Charlotte
8. Miami
...all other skylines really say nothing to me.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:30 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Whatever. That comment proves to me that you've never been into the downtowns of either of these cities. Lie if you want to, but I know you haven't.

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Houston
4. Atlanta
5. Dallas
6. Philadelphia
7. Charlotte
8. Miami
...all other skylines really say nothing to me.
Umm... You forgot LA, SF, Seattle, and Pittsburgh.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Umm... You forgot LA, SF, Seattle, and Pittsburgh.
Lol, no. I really didn't.

Los Angeles would likely be my next choice, but SF, Seattle, and Pittsburgh?...:-|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or