U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Actually, we're talking about skylines. And Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta murder Philadelphia and Boston in that department, so there. How do you like those apples?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 PM

288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Quote:
Well, rainrock, you have your opinions. But you are no connoisseur. No one crowned you the head of all things urban. Your views are not set in stone, and many people disagree with you.
I second that! I am one of the many who disagree with rainrock.

The topic is. “Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?” Not who has the oldest skyline 100 years or better clustered together without anything modern…

Labeling Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Atlanta and such as tall glass houses is interesting. The two towers in Philly are practically all glass. Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Atl, Even L.A. represent thriving cities that have wealth and boom right NOW, and are setting there marks right now, Funny things is, One of the cities you think has no history, “Seattle” Had the tallest building in the world outside Manhattan in 1914 check it.

Houston has multiple skylines, as does L.A. that spreads across a large area, with an impressive collection of buildings IMO.

Dallas has a good skyline

Seattle is one of the best in my opinion after NY.

Chicago and San Fran are the others.

I can respect anyone putting up a fuss for New York, Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco for the top spot, but saying Philly and Boston blows most cities out of the water is nothing short of hilarious………. delusional at best.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times
Quote:
Seattle is one of the best in my opinion after NY.
not to me. chicago and miami should duke it out for #2.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 AM

4,449 posts, read 7,517,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
I can respect anyone putting up a fuss for New York, Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco for the top spot, but saying Philly and Boston blows most cities out of the water is nothing short of hilarious………. delusional at best.
It all comes down to personal appeal and to what you're accustomed - hardly being "delusional." I personally like density and older architecture, whereas other may like the "sprawled out" look with overwhelmingly modern architecture (Atlanta, Houston). However, saying that "two glass" buildings is all that constitutes the Philly skyline is a gross misrepresentation.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It all comes down to personal appeal and to what you're accustomed - hardly being "delusional." I personally like density and older architecture, whereas other may like the "sprawled out" look with overwhelmingly modern architecture (Atlanta, Houston). However, saying that "two glass" buildings is all that constitutes the Philly skyline is a gross misrepresentation.
The downtowns of Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston are not sprawled out. They are dense, and have their fair share of old architecture.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
The downtowns of Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston are not sprawled out. They are dense, and have their fair share of old architecture.
Hang out there, then go immediately to Chicago or New York. I do this with some frequency, and the difference is marked.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
To me, this doesn't look like verticallity and
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r308/haynesy6/46771565_l.jpg (broken link)
if you're going to post pictures, at least post recent ones

Old 10-23-2007, 03:49 PM

288 posts, read 1,243,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
For the size, and how old Philly is, it's skyline itself is a gross misrepresentation as is Boston's. The two glass towers in Philly are the only one's that stand out to me IMO. I'm more into impressive and breathtaking skylines myself, That WOW you, which is what the topic of this thread is.

People around the world and the US come into NY, Seattle, San Fran, etc. to see their downtowns and experience them, because they are icons and attractions, with notable, recognizable famous, and world class places to see. No one is using vacation time to check out Philly or Boston's skyline, they are just not on that level. (The cities themselves might be another story)

Atl, Houston, and L.A. are quite spread out yes, but L.A. and Houston still have a nice collection of buildings, and they look impressive. (I'm sorry Atl, I do love you, but your collection of buildings really don't impress me)

The fact that their cities are so huge and spread out, is why they get hated on, but if you took their multiple downtowns and condensed them into the size of most other downtowns, we would be comparing them to some of the top cities. On the other hand Dallas, and Seattle are very dense.

Also concidering all of the cities mentioned have larger populations than Seattle, some double and quadrupal, and Seattle has a bigger and more renowned skyline than Philly, Boston, Houston, Dallas, and a ton of other cities with bigger populations in itself is very impressive. When you are in Seattle, and view the skyline, it looks like it would be on a city of 1 to 2 million plus. Although the metro is quite big with close to 4 million.

From a pure beauty standpoint its almost a mismatch comparing Seattle to anyone in the US outside San Francisco and Denver because it has a mountain in skyline view with the space needle, an icon in the foreground, not to mention a skyline that looks breathtaking, and enormous from that angle. Water on two sides, Elliot bay, and Lake Union, skyscrapers going up steep hills that put them 1000's of feet above sea level. Because the downtown is situated in almost a natural amphitheater sorrounded by Hills, you can view downtown 360 ways altering its appearance completely from each viewpoint.

For WOW factor!
I am amazed when viewing manhattan. My first time there I couldn't believe it, nothing short of amazing in pure size........NY is tops, numero uno, GARGANTUAN

Seattle comes next,......Coming in on a ferry from the islands in Puget sound will make your jaw drop, absolutely beautiful and imposing. The skyscrapers on the hill look ridiculously tall. You are doing yourself a huge disservice not visiting these two cities.

The only thing that hurts Chicago to me, is that their buildings are rather ugly, The skyline view itself is very impressive, large, and beautifuly situated on the lake, a must see.

San Francisco and the bay in general is gorgeous, very simular to Seattle, with the water, steep hills, and natural beauty, plus the golden gate bridge.... a must see.

I love L.A.'s buildings, and Miami is starting to look very good.

NY, Seattle, San Francisco, and Chicago is the four downtowns I believe everyone should take vacations and visit, they are tops, and very special in the US. I can almost garantee after visiting those four cities, and seeing them in person, you will be amazed and in awe of all four. Don't get me wrong. I love some other cities, L.A., Houston, Twin Cities, etc. I even like philly (mostly for its music scence) But NY and Seattle completely without a doubt do it for me. I've seen them a million times, and I'm still like WOW. Two must see's!

I'm currious to see how the Chicago spire is going to look in their skyline. I'm not really sold on it yet, but it does look imposing and modern and I like that.

Also the WTC projects in NY, (Very nice collection of buildings)

The Trans Bay in San Francisco, (This one is going to be hot)

And the Heron twin Towers in Seattle, Two very futuristic looking towers

Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 PM

395 posts, read 1,221,310 times
I was thinking about this for a while and figured in terms of skylines, there is a big difference between just beautiful and substantial.

I think the most substantial and "in your face" skylines of America are as follows:
1.)NYC
2.)Chicago
3.)San Fran
4.)Seattle
5.)Los Angelas
6.)Houston
7.)Philadelphia
8.)Miami
9.)Boston
10.)Dallas

I think the most recognizable is different as well. When you see a skyline (im not talking about skyline junkies either) you automtically know BOOM, thats __. In no particular order:
NYC - of course
Chicago - no brainer
Dallas - reuinion tower
Seattle
San Fran
St. Louis - the arch
Washington DC
Philly - yes, philly
Las Vegas

Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM

570 posts, read 1,813,577 times
Show the average person a skyline picture of most any city including Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, LA and they will not be able to tell you which city it is.
NYC, Chicago, SF, STL, Denver (because of the mountains) have features that set them apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or