U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM

612 posts, read 2,544,848 times

Advertisements

There is nothing quite as beautiful as crossing the bridge from Key Biscayne into Miami at twilight. One thing I miss about living in Miami was seeing that every day.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 AM

20 posts, read 107,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
There is nothing quite as beautiful as crossing the bridge from Key Biscayne into Miami at twilight. One thing I miss about living in Miami was seeing that every day.

Right on the money. That's one of the most scenic drives around.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 AM

364 posts, read 396,659 times
New York City- no where in the world like it!!! What other city has the popular slogan "I love NY" like NY? Because it's so great.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 AM

19 posts, read 191,845 times
sorry guys that I didnt put some cities in the poll but I didnt want to post a poll with 30 cities! It would be too much. You say: why not Las Vegas, Miami, Anchorage etc. but I could say: Why not Kansas City or New Orleans. I reckon that there are a huge amount of beautiful cities with marvellous skyline in the US - the poll contains one part of them.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
hazeleyedsoul87, I think you did the best you could, its impossible to list ALL the cities, there would be too many to poll. Just because a city has a nice backdrop, doenst make its skyline nice, dont know why people think that. Albuquerque arguably has the best backdrop in the USA, but its skyline is about as nice looking as horse crap.

And about Vegas, sure its lights are cool, but the skyline pretty? Hardly. Its a hodgepodge of low-rise buildings, spaced far apart, all MIMICKING some other part of the world. Im sorry but seeing a mini NYC skyline (complete with a replica Statue of Liberty), an Egyptian-themed pyramid, a 1/4 scale Eiffel Tower, a giant lion, a castle, a oversized circus tent, a micro-Venice, all mashed together in the middle of a wasteland desert is just horribly wrong. UGH. That skyline gives me a headache. Its all rip-off designs, arranged horribly, no historical aspects, its everything a nice skyline shouldnt be. LOLOLOL Is it interesting? Sure. But is it an ethereal beauty? No, its about the furthest thing from it. LOL

Old 02-28-2007, 09:13 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
While on the subject of skylines, here is a cool link:

http://www.diserio.com/top15-skylines.html

Not to get too far off subject, I think Hong Kong has a MAGNIFICENT skyline, maybe the best in the world.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 AM

19 posts, read 191,845 times
thanks Steve-o, my backup

ummm I've entered this site but I cant agree with most choices there. HongKong.... no. Skyscrapers are huge, massive, high there.... but it hasnt got something.... I'm not bewitched by these buildings, it doesnt create the nice atmosphere. But it's only my opinion

Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,503,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
http://www.steamtownmarathon.com/images/steamtowncopy.jpg (broken link)
Scranton

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2006/07/471807.jpg (broken link)
http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2006/07/471690.jpg (broken link)
http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2004/05/266745.jpg (broken link)
http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/sixwm/2006/07/471686.jpg (broken link)
Wilkes-Barre

NOTE: The shots of Wilkes-Barre are property of John W. Cahill. He's a photographer whom I admire greatly, and I hope to duplicate his wonderful skyline photos as soon as the weather clears up with various shots of the Scranton skyline.
Where is the bulding of "The Office" located?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM

30,205 posts, read 67,351,355 times
Unfortunately, "Dunder-Mifflin Paper" doesn't really exist. In fact, there aren't many "vestiges" of "The Office" anywhere in the Electric City. I've fielded many inquiries for people who wanted to do a day-trip to Scranton as like an "Office pilgrimage" of sorts, yet our local tourism promotion bureau hasn't really caught on to just how successful the show has become. The opening credit scenes are indeed in Scranton---the first image of a brick red tower looking-thingy is located on the NW side of Center City, the "Scranton Welcomes You" sign is located on the Central Scranton Expressway as you enter downtown from I-81 (although it has recently been replaced with a new sign), and there's a streetlight banner sponsored by the fictional "Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company" (I think Scranton Tomorrow, a local grass-roots organization aimed at improving the city's vitality funded it).

I recently heard back from a mother from Harrisburg who drove the 90 minutes or so up I-81 and took her daughter to Scranton because they were such fans of the show. I was almost embarrassed to have to tell them that there was really no reason to visit if one were merely looking for a Dwight-sighting (although Rainn Wilson was recently downtown for a meet-and-greet with local fans at the Steamtown Mall). There are supposedly plans to film some scenes for an upcoming episode live during the city's massive St. Patrick's Day Parade next month, but I haven't heard if that rumor has been substantiated yet. There's even a new Scranton-based group on Facebook selling Dunder-Mifflin green t-shirts for locals to wear should the cast and crew come to town in March. I'll be ready!

I think our city is missing out on a LOT of potential tourist traffic by not making the city more "Office-friendly" (perhaps filling up a vacant storefront with a museum of Office artifacts with a gift shop, encouraging downtown eateries to rename menu items to, per se, the "Jim and Pam Burger", paint a mural of the cast somewhere downtown, etc. With so many Office fans within a 2-3 hour drive (NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, CT), we could be looking at a huge financial windfall that would help to launch the city out of its debt. Then again, what do I know---I'm just a know-nothing college kid from the 'burbs (as I've been dubbed by a few others).

Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 PM

30,205 posts, read 67,351,355 times
By the way, that red clock tower thingy from the opening credits can barely be seen in my aerial photo of downtown. Look to the upper-right corner of the photo, just below the "P" in Providence Road. I believe the tower is visible on the edge of that building with the long black roof just to the right of the "Mulberry Street" text. The "Scranton Welcomes You" sign from the credits would be located "under" the photo---a bit further out from the city on the Central Scranton Expressway. A small portion of the University of Scranton campus is visible between Jefferson Avenue and the bottom of the photo. My coveted "Hill Section" that I've massively-photographed on the PA forum is located to the lower-right, just outside of the image's boundaries, as the city's downtown yields to the college campus and a rather large hill (hence the neighborhood's name). The white building just to the right of the "Spruce Street" text has a barely-visible mural of an aerial view of downtown painted on it. I think it might serve better as some sort of tribute to "The Office" that would face visitors as they enter the city via the Central Scranton Expressway. The park-like area dead-center in the photo is Courthouse Square, which is surrounded by a lot of restored historic architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or