U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Reputation: 10115

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Of course, why wouldn't you say that? You've made no secret of your dislike for the Sunbelt.
Yes I dislike the sunbelt, but the sunbelt has NOTHING to do with a nice downtown skyline. While Houston's skyline is indeed nice, I just think Philly's is better, thats all I said. I cant help the fact that the sunbelt cities have uninspiring skylines, can I?

 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I cant help the fact that the sunbelt cities have uninspiring skylines, can I?
Considering that isn't a fact...
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Reputation: 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Considering that isn't a fact...
In YOUR opinion. Travel to, say, Italy and pop out some pictures of Houston, El Paso, Albuquerque, Phoenix, etc and see if they can identify the city. Most will scratch their heads while they guess. Now show em a pic of Chicago or NYC and they can ID them because they stand out and have magnificent skylines. In fact, alot of Americans probably would have a hard time telling Houston from LA from Atlanta from Charlotte (based on a architectural standpoint, not surroundings).
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 13,140,896 times
Reputation: 4453
how can las vegas not be a choice?
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Reputation: 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
how can las vegas not be a choice?
Scattered casinos dont really make for a skyline, although others would disagree. IMO, Vegas' "skyline" is probably the worst in the USA, its a hodgepodge mess of lights and rip-off architecture from REAL wonders of the world.
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Reputation: 3610
The fact that Atlanta is in the #2 spot is kinda shocking to me. ATL has a nice skyline for a city its size, but I don't think it's the second best in the nation. It might sneak into the top ten. It makes me wonder if the people who voted for it have been to many other big cities. I grew up in SC, and until I was 15 and went to LA, San Diego, and NYC, I thought Atlanta was it. After visiting some other cities in the US and the World, though... ATL still holds up, but not in the top spot.
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Reputation: 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The fact that Atlanta is in the #2 spot is kinda shocking to me.
Its quite obvious that a hacker did that.
 
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM
 
394 posts, read 205,487 times
Reputation: 58
atlanta #2?

and I dont know about beautiful, but NYC has to be the most impressive skyline in the world when it is viewed from a plane or far away
 
Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,243,627 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Its not quite that simple slugger. Read a couple books about the rise and fall of the big cities east of the Mississippi. "Being old" doesn't turn cities into slums,failed and ill-advised government turns cities into slums.

rainrock, I see you are two bananas shy of a fruit salad, so I'll just excuse your overly bias, territorial and far-fetched views on cities, skylines, and everything ells you have mentioned on this forum.

rise and falls of cities, way on economical, and social opportunity....spanned through eras coupled with corrupt law enforcement, and city officials........

crime, white flight, thus building up suburbs, reducing the population of the inner city, pushing dollars away from the core city, neglect of the inner city, by way of social, economical, and racial bigotry, results in slums.

Philly was once the most populous city in the US, and former US capital before D.C............eras- great depression, hurt the city, WWII brought it back, as jobs were established, (Cleveland, Cinci, Detroit, etc, relied heavily on industry).........era---Homes outdated built in the nineteenth century, that were inaficiant to (whites), and the fact minorities relocated up north from the south causing white flight, thus the creatation, of what we now know as suburbs, greatly causing the population to increase out of the city limits, and decline within.

era- US shifts away from industry, (outsourcing in now common place) jobs are lost, even more people leave these cities, as they are now considered unappealing. US shifts to (Tourism, Entertainment, Financial, and Technology,). Cities Leading in these catigories gain appeal, and massive population.

Gentrification – (Cabrini Green demolished – Chicago) / (Baldwin Village AKA the Jungle some Condo’s – Los Angeles)

Detroit, Cleveland, Cinci, Philly etc, still have slums because the, appeal, demand, and economy / jobs, aren’t there to meet the criteria, of what now looks to fill the inner city (Young Urban Professionals), and as long as that is the case, and minorities still occupy these area's it will remain this way untill, bigotry is demolished, along with the aging slums. Philly has the best chance right now.

Because of better weather, newer cities, more jobs, better schools, and less of a serious racial divide as back east, or even in the south (just to a much lesser degree), many Americans continue to move west, and also south to a degree (Atlanta, Austin, San Antonio, Houston etc.)

Then there is those who move just to get away from area's heavily populated by minorities, to those that are not, ie the Pacific Northwest.

Cities on the west that didn’t even register 30 or 40 years ago, now have populations bigger than cities that once were the most populous in the U.S. like (Philly, Detroit, Cleveland)

Simple minds might view this and find racial undertones, but what I'm saying is just pure facts. It happened and will continue to happen, it is weaved in americas fabric, and historical makeup simple as that.




Of course you wouldn't know anything about that,tucked far far
away in your north pacific cubby hole.
Born in the hood, in the Rainier Valley / Skyway section of Seattle, moved to Inglewood, CA (off Century and Crenshaw) as a child.....grew up in Compton, CA, (off Central and Alondra) I went from very tuff circomstances that you wouldn't last five minutes in, even to this day, and it's way tamer than when I was growing up. So don't tell me I don't know anything about impoverished neighborhoods, I grew up in them. Now I stay in Long Beach, CA part of the year- and most of the year on Mercer Island in Seattle.
 
Old 10-24-2007, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA / Los Angeles, CA
288 posts, read 1,243,627 times
Reputation: 113
Most Beautiful - Seattle



Most Impressive in size - New York

http://www.iloveny.com/_images_content/regions/large/large_NYCSkylineP.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top