U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:01 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Louisville,Ky does have a nice skyline,very very impressive, and I think the new 61 story building they are adding is one of the nicest and most unique I've seen in this whole country.
I think Louisville is lovely. Nice skyline. Right on the river. Reminds me of Nashville a little.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats scary.

The two most recognizable skyscrapers in the USA are the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower.
No...just the Empire State Building, and probably not even that. Most likely the Chrysler Building and once the WTC.

You can pretend that everyone knows Chicago's skyline if you want, but the truth is, many people probably do not.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Hong Kong, Chicago and New York are the 3 most recognized skylines in the world. People always refer to them as the "big three"
I don't.:-|

The only reason I'm familiar with Chicago's skyline is because one of my favorite television shows takes place in the city. And if you gave me a picture of Hong Kong's skyline, I honestly could not tell you what city it is.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No...just the Empire State Building, and probably not even that. Most likely the Chrysler Building and once the WTC.

You can pretend that everyone knows Chicago's skyline if you want, but the truth is, many people probably do not.
Hilarious. And you, my friend, can pretend other people don't because you don't. It doesn't make international lists for nothing.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Hilarious. And you, my friend, can pretend other people don't because you don't. It doesn't make international lists for nothing.
Thank you. Im glad someone knows something about skylines and their rankings.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry I hurt your pride for your town, but it's the truth. I highly doubt that you could pick an average teenager or young adult off the street and show them a picture of downtown Chicago and they would know the city. They'd probably keep guessing after saying,"that's not New York?" Especially down here in the South.

And those international lists are compiled by people who obviously know their city skylines. But again, most people could care less.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Why the F not?

JC

Newark - looks really small from the air

??????????
It's because most people wouldn't view those two skylines as grand or and they don't really set themselves apart from any mid to small sized city skyline in America. They're both pretty small, but that Jersey City's tallest building looks nice.......
And to kind of prove my point, I haven't seen anyone of those skylines until now......

But hey, at least they both look better than this....

El Paso..... a city that is bigger in population, with a sucky skyline.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Sorry I hurt your pride for your town, but it's the truth. I highly doubt that you could pick an average teenager or young adult off the street and show them a picture of downtown Chicago and they would know the city. They'd probably keep guessing after saying,"that's not New York?" Especially down here in the South.

And those international lists are compiled by people who obviously know their city skylines. But again, most people could care less.
Hey guy. I'm from the south. I'd've been able to recognize Chicago from the time I was in elementary school. If kids around you can't, that says more about your school system than it does about Chicago.

You didn't hurt my pride. What you're saying is unverifiable and totally subjective. Therefore it is an opinion. Not a fact. And you're welcome to yours!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Hey guy. I'm from the south. I'd've been able to recognize Chicago from the time I was in elementary school. If kids around you can't, that says more about your school system than it does about Chicago.
Oh my God. You're not fooling anybody by suggesting that Chicago is that great and that important that everybody knows everything about it. There is only one city that holds that title, and that is New York. If there is a second city, it's Los Angeles without a doubt. Then Chicago.

And I highly doubt that it has anything to do with anyone's school system. It isn't like they give history lessons on Chicago.

Quote:
What you're saying is unverifiable and totally subjective. Therefore it is an opinion. Not a fact. And you're welcome to yours!
My exact sentiments towards you.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:28 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,525,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
You have got to be the biggest misinformed hater ever.....you are comic relief at this point.

Seattle has the most beautiful skyline in the U.S. and it is a very large and tall one. Anyone who visits Seattle in person will tell you the same. Quit hating on an icon like the spaceneedle, and the fact that a city has natural beauty, and it looks absolutely stunning. How ridiculous is that?

FYI Mount Rainier is in Pierce County Washington, located only 54 miles southeast of Seattle. It is the Highest peak of the Cascade Range, at 14,410 feet, and has a topographic prominence greater than that of K2. On clear days it can be seen as far away as Victoria British Columbia.
Aint this a gas? You're advanced enough to be using the Hubble gorilla zoom spacescope XLSC camera to snap pictures of Seattle with Mt Ranier in the background but you don't have a simple calculator to figure out the distance between Seattle and Mt Ranier.

I was closer with my 100 mile assessment . I'll give you credit you have one hell of a picture snapping aparatus

86 miles
Best of the Northwest: Seattle Visitors Guide (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/visitorsguide/centry.asp?ID=111 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or