Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 PM

82 posts, read 88,152 times

Advertisements

I'm laughing that Portland even won in those categories. I'm not saying that any of it is true. I love Portland's cityscape, but sorry, it does NOT beat San Francisco. I don't care how many people responded, if there was a poll out there that said Gary, Indiana was safer than Portland because people felt that way, I would laugh at that crap too.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 AM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Theres that picture again - the one taken with the Hubbel zoom lens. Looks like Mt Ranier is 2 miles from Seattles skyline yet in reality its 110 miles away.

Just my 2 cents but any city that relies on a rock formation and an antenna to make its skyline cant really be taken seriously.
You have got to be the biggest misinformed hater ever.....you are comic relief at this point.

Seattle has the most beautiful skyline in the U.S. and it is a very large and tall one. Anyone who visits Seattle in person will tell you the same. Quit hating on an icon like the spaceneedle, and the fact that a city has natural beauty, and it looks absolutely stunning. How ridiculous is that?

FYI Mount Rainier is in Pierce County Washington, located only 54 miles southeast of Seattle. It is the Highest peak of the Cascade Range, at 14,410 feet, and has a topographic prominence greater than that of K2. On clear days it can be seen as far away as Victoria British Columbia.

and who ever even put Portland, OR on a skyline poll has got to be kidding. Portland has no skyline. Most major cities have suburbs with skylines the same size as Portlands. Get out of here with that one.

Obviously people who think Boston and other non notable skyline cities, have a more beautiful skyline than Seattle, are either bias to a delusional degree or never seen for themselves how impressively stunning looking almost unreal Seattle's skyline is. Breathtaking. Just like NY, when you see Seattle in person, you are like WOW! matter fact double WOW! Pictures only tell half the story. (although it is pretty clear to see Seattle looks gorgeous)

If you are able to travel, Seattle is one of the cities in the US you have got to see.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:07 AM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Default Two best on the west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
I totally agree, but I would say most beautiful is a toss-up between Seattle and San Francisco.
You can definitely throw San Francisco in there. (one of my favorites)

Seattle is just so breathtaking, it edges out San Francisco to me, because it has more height, but San Fran is right after Seattle IMO and it looks very beautiful also.

Seattle

San Francisco

Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
ha is that water supposed to be Blue? and like I said I dont think Manhattan will win awards for beautiful as I have seen other city skylines and they are much more impressive , but just by the sheer size and amount of buildings no city in the world can compare to Manhattan
Why yes, that water is blue

Well I do think manhattan wins awards with their skyline in beaty, thats my opinion so stop acting like your opinion is the only right one

No, NY does not have the most buildings in the world!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:43 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
In YOUR opinion.
Exactly. I have my opinion and you have yours. Which means there's no way it could be a fact.

Quote:
Travel to, say, Italy and pop out some pictures of Houston, El Paso, Albuquerque, Phoenix, etc and see if they can identify the city. Most will scratch their heads while they guess.
Yeah, I love the way you threw Houston into a mix of cities that have absolutely no skyline. You and I both know Houston is better than that.

Quote:
Now show em a pic of Chicago or NYC and they can ID them because they stand out and have magnificent skylines.
Don't be so sure of that because I'm positive that most members of my own family could not point out the Chicago skyline (in order to do so, they would have to know what the Sears Tower looks like, which I'm sure most people could care less). But of course they could point out NYC. Who doesn't know that skyline? That's the only skyline guaranteed recognition.

Quote:
In fact, alot of Americans probably would have a hard time telling Houston from LA from Atlanta from Charlotte (based on a architectural standpoint, not surroundings).
You're right. But that's simply unfortunate for Houston. It has nothing to do with its skyline, which is great.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
This is a neat list.

15 Best Skylines in the World

Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Don't be so sure of that because I'm positive that most members of my own family could not point out the Chicago skyline (in order to do so, they would have to know what the Sears Tower looks like, which I'm sure most people could care less). But of course they could point out NYC. Who doesn't know that skyline? That's the only skyline guaranteed recognition.
Thats scary.

The two most recognizable skyscrapers in the USA are the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Funny thing about that: A lot of people think they could recognize the Sears Tower, but when given the option point to the John Hancock Center. Still, between those two buildings, Chicago is easy peasy to recognize.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
Hong Kong, Chicago and New York are the 3 most recognized skylines in the world. People always refer to them as the "big three"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
This is a neat list.

15 Best Skylines in the World

Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Hong Kong, Chicago and New York are the 3 most recognized skylines in the world. People always refer to them as the "big three"
San Francisco's skyline is far smaller but its probably more easily recognizable then either HK or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.