Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Should Greater NYC Be Called?
Tri-State Area 43 78.18%
Quad-State Area 12 21.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:07 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I wouldn't consider a four hour roundtrip commute easy. Scranton might *technically* part of the NYC metro, but Hartford (in northern CT) is technically not, and they are the exact same distance from Manhattan. The furthest town in CT where people commute to Manhattan is Milford or Southbury in CT - both about 1.25 hours from the city. A huge portion of southern CT's residents commute to NYC daily though, as with NJ. I don't think THAT many from PA commute in, though I could be wrong. I view Scranton as a metro area of its own.

You know you're from outside the NYC metro when you refer to the city as "the big Apple"
Well Scranton is not part of the "metro area." It has its own metro area (along with its sister city of Wilkes-Barre). Unbelievably though if you drive just twenty minutes outside of Scranton via I-84 you are in Pike County, and hence in the ever-expanding New York MSA, even though a lot of people in Pike County rely upon Scranton for their shopping, dining, nightlife, and employment concerns. Monroe County now has over 10,000 daily commuters who head eastward on I-80 daily. If that trend continues it, too, should be annexed into the NYC MSA, which will put the NYC MSA only twenty minutes from Wilkes-Barre, PA as well (scary, huh!?) LOL!

I probably should clarify that Scranton is not officially part of the Pocono Mountains---it is merely the "hub" city to the northwest. There is a regional NEPA sub-forum here on City-Data, but that was only formed because I don't think the Administrator was going to justify creating a separate sub-forum for the Poconos and for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre when they abut one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
just because ppl are crazy enough to commute to NY from PA doesn't automagically make it part of the "tri state" area. Hell, I live about 25 minutes from the PA border and I don't consider it part of my personal "metro".

Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Not all of Jersey and CT are a part of the metro because those states stretch further away from NYC than the part of PA that will make it the Quad-State.
Not true. Hartford and New London (in eastern CT) are exactly the same distance from NYC as NEPA and are not part of the NYC metro.

I agree that just because some people are crazy enough to do the commute, doesn't mean it's part of the NYC area. It just means they prefer to spend less and live outside of the metro.

I worked in lower Manhattan for 18 months while I was an intern and I have yet to meet anyone who commutes from PA. I know one guy who lives near Philly (Croydon) and works for my company (based in Manhattan) but he telecommutes. I only met him a few times because he said that with the traffic, the commute to NYC would be over 2.25 hours each way - and Philly is closer to Manhattan than NEPA. Does that mean the metro area should annex Philly?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
If someone is going to commute from Pa, to NYC, they wil most likely end up doing that by train. I think eventually, NEPA may be considered to be part of the NYC area, but it is still geographically too far to be considered a true suburb of New York.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Not all of Jersey and CT are a part of the metro because those states stretch further away from NYC than the part of PA that will make it the Quad-State.

The fact is, commuters are coming from PA to NYC and even from Philly to NYC. My father worked with 2 guys about 6 months ago before he switched jobs who commuted to Manhattan all the way from Philly every day.
If you were to pay attention to what I am saying, you would understand that I CLEARLY think that the borders of PA are too far to be a part of the metro area. AKA, I obviously do not believe all of Jersey or all of CT are a part of said area. And to continue, since you obviously need me to spell it out, I consider the areas that are a part of the metro to be limited.

Do you understand me now?

No one's saying people don't regularly commute from PA to NYC. I'm just saying I don't think PA is a part of the metro area.

Convince someone on the fence; I have my opinion.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
definitely tri-state area

i think people commuting from PA are crazy

Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
My fiance teaches in eastern Queens. He has a few co-workers who commute from eastern PA. Now THAT'S a commute

Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Among my coworkers, there's a whole colony that commutes daily from the Poconos to New York City. That sounds absolutely insane to me, but I haven't heard of anyone quitting their jobs because of it.

And incidentally, just because numbers of New Yorkers relocated to northeastern Pennsylvania, I don't consider that to be a part of the metropolitan area. The whole question of metropolitan areas is beginning to get out of hand. Before you know it, some paper pushing bureaucrat will start lumping entire states together. To forestall such lunacy, I would like to propose that there no longer be metropolitan areas. There's this city, and that city, and whatever happens to be in between. Period.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
definitely tri-state area

i think people commuting from PA are crazy
Well thousands of people are doing it though. Hell, just look at how popular the NEPA forum is.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well thousands of people are doing it though. Hell, just look at how popular the NEPA forum is.
oh, i know! there have been segments in the news about large groups of folks commuting to the city from bucks co...and other parts of eastern PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.