U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM

23 posts, read 217,683 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, where do you guys think is the best place in the U.S for boating and watersports? It would have to be warm all year round, very nice clean lakes, etc...

Might be kind of a hard question to answer but I was wanting some opinions. Specific towns and lakes would be nice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,246,684 times
Myself i've mostly gone to kinkaid lake in southern il, been to lake of the ozarks not that great of a place, been to a few tx lakes many moons ago didn't like those, table rock & bull shoals in missouri/arkansas those are nice.

always wanted to go to lake powell, that looks like it would be a neat lake.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM

15,595 posts, read 35,289,970 times
Skilak Lake in south central Alaska. It is glacier water and quite cold even on a 80 day like these. But we still use it for boating and water sports. First shot is from my island property, the second has the island in the background. You just get real good quick, and try to avoid wipe outs! The lake is 10 miles long and over 5 wide. It's completely surrounded by and part of, a federal wildlife refuge. There will never be homes built around it, other than limited privately owned on the one of many islands. It's like a paradise...just with cold water! And in the winter, it freezes over, so there is great cross country skiing or snowmachining.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,509,853 times
I second the Ozarks, particularly in the area around Branson , Missouri. Tennessee seems to have some nice water as well from what I have heard.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:54 AM

3,116 posts, read 7,161,335 times
I was going to say "Minnesota" (land of 10,000 lakes and 10,000 taxes and also the namesake for the LA Lakers), but then you said that you wanted warmth all year round.

An interesting and related question, is, in what metropolitian city area in the continental US with a population of over 1,000,000 people would you be most likely to find lakefront houses at relatively low prices (compared to similarly situated lakefront houses in other city areas) within a forty-five minute drive of downtown? My guess would be Minneapolis, again.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,720,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason213 View Post
Just wondering, where do you guys think is the best place in the U.S for boating and watersports? It would have to be warm all year round, very nice clean lakes, etc...

Might be kind of a hard question to answer but I was wanting some opinions. Specific towns and lakes would be nice.

Thanks.
What do you consider warm, for the warm all year part?

I'm assuming you want to do watersports year-round, so you'd probably want to stick to places with winters above 65 F.

There are some small lakes in south Texas and some other parts of the southwest that might be nice, but Florida would probably be the best.

Of those places, Lake Okechobee in southern Florida would probably be the ultimate year-round-warmth lake, with January's averging close to 75 F. It's the huge "hole" missing on the map in of the east-central part of southern Florida.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:32 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Id agree with Cold Canadian, Lake Okechobee is HUGE and offers the best weather for watersports. Other places have lots of lakes, but are too cold for you, including the SW. If you wanted a place just based on quality and quantity of lakes, WI or MN are your best bets.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:44 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,629,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Of those places, Lake Okechobee in southern Florida would probably be the ultimate year-round-warmth lake, with January's averging close to 75 F. It's the huge "hole" missing on the map in of the east-central part of southern Florida.
Well Florida should be the right answer but it might be more complicated.

Many of the lakes might have water quality issues. In particular dissolved mercury. Many might also have other various forms of contamination. Depending on who you talked too, claims the fish were not safe to eat. Some of the mercury pollution is natural, a lot of it due to garbage incineration type plants.

I was just in Florida and went out on a number of the lakes in the Sebring area. Most of the water is not all that clear. Mostly muddy bottoms, the water was warm enough in February to go swimming but didn't see many people in the water. Some folks water sking. We threw all the fish we caught back. Apparently some of those more southern located lakes also produce hydrogen sulfides, they water lawns from the lakes, can smell the stuff in the air.

Most of the Florida lakes depend heavily on rainfall. Lots of lakes to choose from. Maybe it is finding one with a sandy bottom and not many people around. I didn't see anything like really clear water anywhere I went.

Lots of negative comments by the locals about what has happened to Florida in the recent years and who is to blame. Everybody is looking for that last unspoil'd Paradise and strangely enough some of them thought it was around the general Sebring area. Number of folks bailing out the Keys for the area.

The one chuckle was one of my relatives bought up the subject he had heard they were now going to require a boat driving license like for a car. Duh, it sure ain't your daddy's Florida any more. I guess that license thing was going to be resolved by further investigation.

Maybe some of the lakes out west but anything fed from snow melt is going to be one cold dip, no matter the air temperature. Could be that typical criterion conflict again. Everybody wants what used to be Paradise, those that found it a while back screwed it up big time, either by pollution, money messes, regulations, etc.

Progress has been tough on finding the right spot for anything.

Those that still have Paradise, may not be saying.

Might have to ditch the part about warm and year round and settle from something a little more to the North.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM

788 posts, read 3,770,797 times
Default Lake Tahoe, NV and CA

It doesn't fit your critieria of being warm year round (it gets cold and snow there), but my goodness is it BEAUTIFUL and quite large. Wonderful place to visit.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:52 PM

23 posts, read 217,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post

The one chuckle was one of my relatives bought up the subject he had heard they were now going to require a boat driving license like for a car. Duh, it sure ain't your daddy's Florida any more. I guess that license thing was going to be resolved by further investigation.
We have that in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.