U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM

29 posts, read 115,418 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a nice small-medium sized Southeastern town (excluding Florida) to move to. I hope to find a town with most if not all of the following criteria. If you have any ideas for me or know of a place for me, please give as much information as possible

-- mild-hot weather

--Of course, it has to look nice with trees and a good, natural landscape

-- good schools

--it has to be safe

-- preferably not but possibly a larger town or city as long as it doesn't have that big city feel to it.

--a town with a lot of character, tradition, history, and a sense of community that comes with many small towns

-- I want to live on or near a river or lake, not too close to the coastline

--good job prospects of course

I am coming from the Northeast (Massachusetts), originally from the Southwest (Texas), and then from the Southeast (Virginia). I don't like the Northeast at all and feel that 5 years is long enough to stay here. My favorite place to live and travel to has and is still the Southeast (excluding Florida). My parents were raised in the Southeast and tell me that they'd love to move back. I want to raise future kids in a town that they will feel is their home and that they are a part of it, like I did in my Virginia town. Feel free to give me towns that don't directly apply to my criteria and GIVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE!!!

I hope my post wasn't too broad. I'd be happy to provide any other info. if needed.

Thank you so much for your help!
Some samples of what I am looking for:
Nice Town:

Nice town from what I can see:

Nice big house with a big porch:
http://hardwareaisle.thisoldhouse.com/images/2008/06/30/_large_200801_edward_kidder_graham_.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,916,645 times
A couple of my favorites in the Southeast:

Cookeville, Tennessee

pop. 28,000, one hour east of Nashville

Oxford, Mississippi

pop. 14,000, 90 minutes from Memphis

Last edited by JMT; 12-02-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM

313 posts, read 1,146,369 times
I would say any college town in the south would be nice...but of what I've been to...

Athens GA!

Greenville SC, Ashville NC as well.

smaller towns:
Madison GA is awsome!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,250 times
Carrboro or Chapel Hill NC

Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 AM

835 posts, read 2,084,232 times
Where do your parents live? Try there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or