U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM

75 posts, read 249,648 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I guess hometown voting doesn't count but I moved from Omaha to Minneapolis 4 years ago, before ever visiting, and man was I impressed! I thought it would be a larger version of Omaha, kind of a Kansas City of the north, but Minneapolis really is one the greatest american cities! Great downtown, nice homely neighborhoods, scenic location on the river and the numerous lakes, also Saint Paul, a second city and also quite impressive downtown, a great nightlife and very educated, and extremely friendly population. It's also very clean and rather safe.

So, if my vote for Minnie doesn't count I'll take another city. I was very pleasantly surprised when I visited Norfolk, VA in May (though Virginia Beach is not that great), it has a small but nice downtown, some very nice neighborhoods and great historic architecture. Also Richmond, VA is very nice, but I expected it to be, so I'll go for Norfolk with much more impressed than I thought.

A city that I was less impressed with than I thought was Chicago. Not that it is a bad place, it's a great city, I just expected it to be more like New York, less like super-Minneapolis. I really liked the Loop, Chicago River, and my sister lives in a really nice older neighborhood, but in general my impression of Chicago was "nice" not "wow" and I just expected it to "wow"

Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 AM

166 posts, read 537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corcorangirl View Post
So, if my vote for Minnie doesn't count I'll take another city. I was very pleasantly surprised when I visited Norfolk, VA in May (though Virginia Beach is not that great), it has a small but nice downtown, some very nice neighborhoods and great historic architecture. Also Richmond, VA is very nice, but I expected it to be, so I'll go for Norfolk with much more impressed than I thought.

A city that I was less impressed with than I thought was Chicago. Not that it is a bad place, it's a great city, I just expected it to be more like New York, less like super-Minneapolis. I really liked the Loop, Chicago River, and my sister lives in a really nice older neighborhood, but in general my impression of Chicago was "nice" not "wow" and I just expected it to "wow"
I know what you mean about Chicago in a sense. I've been to NYC, Chicago, Philly, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Indianapolis, and Memphis (just the major cities I've spent time in). I can honestly say that Chicago is my second favorite city after NYC. The problem is that many people who visit it think it is just like NYC, when, while there are some similarities, the city has its own vibe. It has a lot of ethnic and religious diversity (Blacks, Poles, Jews, Italians, Irish, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Asian Indian, etc.) in and around the city and has many cultural amenities, but it is much slower paced than NYC and much less dense (though Chicago is still a very densely populated city, just not to NY standards). Anybody expecting any city to be like NYC is going to be thoroughly disappointed.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM

932 posts, read 1,691,748 times
Most impressed: Phoenix (live here), Chicago, Honolulu, Virginia Beach, Washington D.C (atleast the Mall)
Least impressed: L.A, Orlando, Charlotte, Richmond, San Diego (love Sea World though)

Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
More impressive: Charlotte, Ft. Lauderdale, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Omaha, St. Louis, San Antonio.

Less impressive: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Dallas, Memphis, Phoenix, Raleigh, Reno, San Diego, San Jose, Washington DC.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM

71 posts, read 99,838 times
Impressed: Chicago, Madison, Baltimore, Philly

Let down: Some what Dallas, L.A, Virginia Beach

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,675,454 times
Impressed:

Baltimore: Great Inner Harbor, awesome downtown, and cool city neighborhoods. I was expecting to go into a warzone.

Cincinnati: Since moving to Ohio I have fallen in love with that city. Beautiful landscape, great urban neighborhoods, dense, some of the best architecture in the country.

Portland, Oregon: This city knows how to do transportation right, and should be a model for the majority of American cities, great food, friendly people, and beautiful scenery.

Not Impressed:

Indianapolis: I was expecting a great downtown with what I was told back home in Philly (most people thinking it was a cow town), but the downtown was very bland and suburban away from the Circle and Canal Walk.

Pittsburgh: Being from Philly, I never really went to Pittsburgh that much, but another city I heard so many great things about, and it didn't really live up to the expectations.

Phoenix: I was expecting for a city of its size (supposedly bigger than Philly) to be very big, with a lot of great neighborhoods to explore, but I found a downtown that is sort of dead after 5, and it seemed to sprawl for miles upon miles.

Memphis: Really liked the historic architecture in the city, but many parts of the city seemed very run down. I did like the southern vibe though.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM

459 posts, read 1,124,701 times
More impressed: Milwaukee
Less: Charlotte and Atlanta -- WAY overhyped

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corcorangirl View Post
Hmm, I guess hometown voting doesn't count but I moved from Omaha to Minneapolis 4 years ago, before ever visiting, and man was I impressed! I thought it would be a larger version of Omaha, kind of a Kansas City of the north, but Minneapolis really is one the greatest american cities! Great downtown, nice homely neighborhoods, scenic location on the river and the numerous lakes, also Saint Paul, a second city and also quite impressive downtown, a great nightlife and very educated, and extremely friendly population. It's also very clean and rather safe.

If the Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves left then Minneapolis would be nothing more than a cold Omaha. Seriously, I'm in agreement with you on this. The Twin Cities turned out to be better than I ever expected while Kansas City has turned out to be far worse than I ever expected. I even lived in Omaha for a while and cannot find as many negative things to say about that place as Kansas City.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,183,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
If the Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves left then Minneapolis would be nothing more than a cold Omaha. Seriously, I'm in agreement with you on this. The Twin Cities turned out to be better than I ever expected while Kansas City has turned out to be far worse than I ever expected. I even lived in Omaha for a while and cannot find as many negative things to say about that place as Kansas City.
'Least we will still have the NHL and D-1 hockey, football, and basketball

Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I was actually thoroughly surprised by Omaha, much nicer and decent walkable downtown, lots of rolling steep hills than I was expecting, along with park system, river, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.