U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,731,055 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, I was not overly impressed with Denver. There was nothing that wowed me about it at all.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,731,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Minneapolis Minnesota exceeded my expectations.
Missoula Montana was the biggest letdown.

Actually all of Montana is a big let down.
People have a lot of romantic notions about Montana. The wide open spaces, the cowboys, the horses, whatever else....
I've lived here for a few years and I'm over it. Moving in a few weeks. Just took a roadtrip yesterday for something I had to do. There were a bunch of horses out in the middle of the highway. lol Nope, not a backroad somewhere... the HIGHWAY. A major US highway that goes all the way down through Arizona. Not even at night do they lock them up. It was comical though. They finally cleared the road, but I thought I'd be going 20 mph behind 10 horses all the way to my destination.

Ironically I will be living very near Minneapolis! lol
Always nice to have that beautiful city nearby for culture and entertainment. Even their Como Park Zoo in St. Paul.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,377,477 times
I have generally been subject to view cities by their stereotypes and consensus before visiting and because I expected something great of them, I was trememndously underwhelmed with: San Diego (all I really liked was the Coronado Bridge and Bay), Austin, Atlanta, Portland (but to be fair I grew up there so it was just way too familiar), Denver, Memphis, Jacksonville, NYC and SF (these two are obviously very great cities, but they are very trafficked and dirty too and that was disappointing to me)

I expected these cities to be pretty rundown or otherwise not like them so I was pleasantly surprised when I visited: Chicago, DC, Miami, LA, Dallas, Houston, KC, and Orlando where I ended up (I can see why some would be underwhelmed though because even living here, there are large expansive areas of suburban type development. My answer to that would be to check out Thornton Park or Winter Park).

Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 AM

56,802 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I have generally been subject to view cities by their stereotypes and consensus before visiting and because I expected something great of them, I was trememndously underwhelmed with: San Diego (all I really liked was the Coronado Bridge and Bay), Austin, Atlanta, Portland (but to be fair I grew up there so it was just way too familiar), Denver, Memphis, Jacksonville, NYC and SF (these two are obviously very great cities, but they are very trafficked and dirty too and that was disappointing to me)

I expected these cities to be pretty rundown or otherwise not like them so I was pleasantly surprised when I visited: Chicago, DC, Miami, LA, Dallas, Houston, KC, and Orlando where I ended up (I can see why some would be underwhelmed though because even living here, there are large expansive areas of suburban type development. My answer to that would be to check out Thornton Park or Winter Park).
Taking a look at them on streetview and they look like many villages you see here in Upstate NY. Nice, well kept and dense.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:13 AM

2,112 posts, read 5,286,203 times
Living up to potential
Chicago...never ceases to impress me.
St. Louis...impressed me people wise...nicest overall people I have met and some beautiful areas west of town. For its location and history, it certainly does alright.
Charleston...gorgeous and I love the people.
D.C....aside from the people who I CAN'T STAND, the city is very impressive and I love the Metro.
Indianapolis...great little downtown with great parks. Also has a great canal area. Can't say much positive for the rest of the city, but the extreme inner core is a wonderful start.
Pittsburgh...can we say making a huge comeback? PNC, biotech, great companies, great philanthropists throughout its history, etc. Great downtown that is continuously being improved and great cultural amenities/higher learning, perhaps its greatest asset.
Boston...anyone who hasn't been there needs to go. Now.

Not quite living up to potential, but lots of potential:
Atlanta...despite horrendous planning, there is something to be said for its visionary leaders and location. It will be on Chicago's level someday, methinks (might be 40-50 years, but it will be there).
Jacksonville...has almost more potential than any city I have been in or lived in, but horrible leadership. That is thankfully turning around. Downtown is not as dead as some people would have you believe and it has great old bones and a great, compact grid.
Savannah...the next Charleston, getting there fast and with a much larger port
New York...my favorite large American city, but it's too much of a welfare state and it shows. The 80/20 rule definitely applies to who is supporting who in Manhattan. It needs a drastic cleanup.
Philadelphia...has tons of problems...see NOLA below, but Philly has been cleaning up, has some nice areas, and has the same type of history as Boston, just not showcased as well.

Does not live up to hype:
Miami...too many criminals (white and blue collar and gang), too ostentatious, and not my style. A dense and urban place in many areas of S FL, but ruined by the experience/people.
Orlando...I don't even look at Mickey when examining Orlando. It is growing too fast and not in a good way.
Dallas...deadest downtown I have ever been to, especially for a city its size. Growing up in FL, Dallas's flat terrain puts FL's to shame, and I'm not a fan of the foliage.
New Orleans...one of the most unique cities with the densest most walkable bones has a major smell, seediness, and crime problem. Racism still persists and outside of what visitors and students at Tulane see is the ugliest city in America.

SO many more cities could go into each of these categories, but that would take forever.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM

4,131 posts, read 4,786,457 times
Pittsburgh-I hated this city with a passion went there this past weekend-OMG it has changed-I love it!
Denver-I love it-beautiful place
Tampa/St. Pete-one of the worst cities I've ever lived in-rednecks everywhere, crime, high unemployment

Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 AM

208 posts, read 572,650 times
More Impressive: Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati. VERY nice cities overall. I found these to be vibrant cities/metros with tons to see and do that were just overall...nice with potential to be even better. From a lot of people's opinions, one wouldn't think that without visiting.
Pittsburgh has come a long way and hopefully the other "rust belt" (I hate that term honestly) cities that have had bad luck can take a page from their book and have a revival.
I liked Rochester, NY also.

Not impressive: Atlanta and Dallas, just didn't strike me. Orlando is very overrated also, IMO. It's easy to get blinded by the touristy-stuff. That can go for any city in Florida in my book, having been around the state. I was kind of let down by Seattle also.

Last edited by clj2; 09-28-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,825,484 times
More Impressive: San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Washington DC

Least Impressive: Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, San Antonio

Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM

267 posts, read 765,648 times
More impressive:
New York: Tall buildings, crowded Manhattan, liked Fordham Road in the Bronx too.
Stockholm: Beautiful buildings, international feeling, rich, safe
Worse:
Baltimore and Philadelphia: Deprives areas. Lack of culture. Very individual style of living there.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,603,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Actually all of Montana is a big let down.
People have a lot of romantic notions about Montana. The wide open spaces, the cowboys, the horses, whatever else....
I've lived here for a few years and I'm over it. Moving in a few weeks. Just took a roadtrip yesterday for something I had to do. There were a bunch of horses out in the middle of the highway. lol Nope, not a backroad somewhere... the HIGHWAY. A major US highway that goes all the way down through Arizona. Not even at night do they lock them up. It was comical though. They finally cleared the road, but I thought I'd be going 20 mph behind 10 horses all the way to my destination.

Ironically I will be living very near Minneapolis! lol
Always nice to have that beautiful city nearby for culture and entertainment. Even their Como Park Zoo in St. Paul.
Isn't stuff like that of why people do move to Montana? Wild horses and such? I think it is kind of unique and sets it up better over other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.