U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,183,587 times

Advertisements

I would say Houston.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 PM

16 posts, read 15,263 times
Exceeded- Las Colinas,TX
Disappointed- Clarksville,TN

Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 PM

746 posts, read 721,928 times
I was very impressed with Kansas City, MO. I was expecting the city to be quite flat, so I was really surprised to see that it is very hilly! The architecture and the different districts also impressed me such as Downtown, the River Market, and Country Club Plaza.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:49 PM

1,230 posts, read 976,037 times
I was more impressed than I expected with SF. Boston underwhelms me.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,273,308 times
Birmingham, Alabama kinda disappointed me, not going to lie. Actually, the whole state of Alabama didn't impress me at all. Sad to say, but some of the stereotypes are still true down there. Outside of Birmingham, I saw a billboard saying, "Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white." Seriously? Alabama already has a horrible reputation from the Civil Rights Movement, and these kind of billboards still exist? Besides that, and I don't want to offend some, but Birmingham seemed rather trashy, redneck-ish, and unprogressive.

Tupelo, Mississippi was more impressive than I thought it would be. You always hear horror stories in regards to Mississippi, and it's the poorest state in the nation as we speak. However, speaking for Tupelo, it was pretty nice! Very clean, not trashy at all. Looked like a comfortable area, a little sleepy but rather pleasant!

Last edited by JayJayCB; 11-01-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM

2,235 posts, read 5,366,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I was very impressed with Kansas City, MO. I was expecting the city to be quite flat, so I was really surprised to see that it is very hilly! The architecture and the different districts also impressed me such as Downtown, the River Market, and Country Club Plaza.
I couldn't agree more. I visited KC this summer and thought it might be pleasant enough but rather dull. On the contrary, I really fell in love with the city.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,112,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Birmingham, Alabama kinda disappointed me, not going to lie. Actually, the whole state of Alabama didn't impress me at all. Sad to say, but some of the stereotypes are still true down there. Outside of Birmingham, I saw a billboard saying, "Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white." Seriously? Alabama already has a horrible reputation from the Civil Rights Movement, and these kind of billboards still exist? Besides that, and I don't want to offend some, but Birmingham seemed rather trashy, redneck-ish, and unprogressive.
The places you'll see the stereotypes are likely the small, rural areas, not so much Birmingham itself. Also, if you get off the interstates and stay away from the ghetto, you can find some really beautiful scenery.

Anyway, for my list....

Least impressive:
Houston, TX. Seemed kinda run down, trashy and boring.
Tulsa, OK - Like Houston except worse. Absolutely nothing interesting to see.

Most impressive:
Phoenix, AZ. I was expecting nothing but flat and dull, but it was actually pretty nice.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:48 PM

52 posts, read 77,065 times
More impressive: DC, NYC, San Fran
Less impressive: Pittsburgh

Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Lived in Chicago in the 80s. But never ceases to impress me on visits in how clean its downtown is an how its architecture just seems to all fit together and its lakefront.... How can you not be impressed with a beach and tiki bar right off its main shopping street...Michigan Ave. I sure was with crystal clear water.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:05 PM

122 posts, read 248,533 times
I would say I was really impressed with Charlotte NC. Very! I had no idea that it was such a happening place. I really liked the downtown area with all the restaurants. One city that I was super disappointed with was Phoenix AZ. I have been there twice. Once for a vacation and once for business. Both times I was let down. Sure Phoenix is BEAUTIFUL but that's it! Downtown seemed to be DEAD no life to it. Super boring place I couldn't wait to get out of that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.