Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM

4,382 posts, read 16,717,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
went to the inner harbor i take it? yea, that's what most do

the true underrated city here is Bmore. At Least Pburgh doesn't get a bad rep

Of course, pburghs beautiful and i love it

Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,577,593 times
Pittsburgh does get a bad rep. Perhaps ont he east coast they know about it, but in the west we just think of a gross industrial town. Since moving to the (South)eastern part of the US I have learned that is no longer so.

I'll say Miami exceeded my expectations, but that's cuz some NE peoples had basically called FLorida a huge craphole, so I didn't expect much. The food was awesome, I liked the Latin feel, and in the trendy part of town I even liked the Art Deco architecture.

Last edited by bluebeard; 12-07-2008 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Atlanta wasn't good of a town as I expected. All the good restaurants are on a "highway" 20-30 minutes out of town.
I have to say this is the first time I have ever heard this!

Next time you're in town, talk to a Concierge or some locals. I can assure you that 90% of the "good" restaurants are not 20-30 minutes out of town, and nowhere near a highway.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Yeah, that's the problem. The locals and I differ on our definition of "good" food. Unless the locals are on Buford Highway.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times
Not sure what you mean by that?

However, I happen to live adjacent to the Buford Hwy corridor, and you would be hard pressed to find more excellent authentic ethnic Asian choices in this entire region of the country.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's the problem. The locals and I differ on our definition of "good" food. Unless the locals are on Buford Highway.
The locals YOU ENCOUNTERED...not all locals are the same - many Atlantans enjoy high quality restaurants, read books, travel, etc. You should really know that one limited experience certainly doesn't define an entire city.

By the way, some of the best Asian food actually is found along Buford Highway where a large portion of Asian immigrants and Asian-Americans are living.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 PM

Well, I guess the locals don't have to live on Buford highway, but the best food I've had in the ATL area is all there. Truly authentic East, South Asian food can be found there.
Sorry I touched a sensitive spot. People who travel and read books often still have differing opinions than me. Yes, of course there are locals who share my taste in food. I hang out with some of them. But the majority have different opinions than me. The in-town area seems to be lacking in this, but I haven't scoured each little nook and cranny.
but here's the thing, when, say, a southerner would come to the Bay and complain about the food, or a NE person come and complain about bad pizza, I don't get all offended. They assuredly could find a place here or there in the metro area, but thats not the same thing, is it? just relax, I don't like Atlanta too much. I like an urban lifestyle, and most of the good food by my opinion is out of town. I have no problem if someone likes small town lifestyle and a certain type of food that couldn't be found in my hometown.

Last edited by bluebeard; 12-07-2008 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,502,207 times
Cities I was very impressed with were Philadelphia, Chicago, and Washington DC.

Some trully disappointing cities were Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:22 PM

142 posts, read 356,989 times
More Impressive - San Francisco, New York and Cleveland.

Worse - Philadelphia.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Well, I guess the locals don't have to live on Buford highway, but the best food I've had in the ATL area is all there. Truly authentic East, South Asian food can be found there.
Sorry I touched a sensitive spot. People who travel and read books often still have differing opinions than me. Yes, of course there are locals who share my taste in food. I hang out with some of them. But the majority have different opinions than me. The in-town area seems to be lacking in this, but I haven't scoured each little nook and cranny.
but here's the thing, when, say, a southerner would come to the Bay and complain about the food, or a NE person come and complain about bad pizza, I don't get all offended. They assuredly could find a place here or there in the metro area, but thats not the same thing, is it? just relax, I don't like Atlanta too much. I like an urban lifestyle, and most of the good food by my opinion is out of town. I have no problem if someone likes small town lifestyle and a certain type of food that couldn't be found in my hometown.
But hopefully they could announce it in a less offensive and judgemental manner. You certainly haven't "scoured" the in-town areas, because I could name 100 excellent restaurants in Midtown...

Quote:
America's Best Restaurant Cities
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. L.A.
5. New Orleans
6. Houston
7. Washington D.C.
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Las Vegas
http://www.forbestraveler.com/food-drink/restaurant-cities-slide.html (broken link)

I'm not offended by what you said...it just isn't true and you couldn't really know or form an opinion like that by visiting. But it really doesn't matter, say whatever makes you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.