Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 01:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
More impressive:
New York: Tall buildings, crowded Manhattan, liked Fordham Road in the Bronx too.
Stockholm: Beautiful buildings, international feeling, rich, safe
Worse:
Baltimore and Philadelphia: Deprives areas. Lack of culture. Very individual style of living there.
There's a first time for everything. In this case, it's somebody saying that Philadelphia and Baltimore lack culture.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Dallas Texas was a real treat to roll through a couple of years ago. I went downtown late at night in my 18 wheeler to p/u, and the buildings and architecture were really something. I can't really compare it to any other city.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
I used to be in love with Miami, after visiting i think its okay, not great.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Dallas Texas was a real treat to roll through a couple of years ago. I went downtown late at night in my 18 wheeler to p/u, and the buildings and architecture were really something. I can't really compare it to any other city.
Drove through Dallas several times at night as a youngster and thought downtown looked awesome - couldn't wait to spend some time there. Some years later, got my chance and found downtown Dallas to be one of the most disappointing downtown to actually be in.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel86 View Post
better than I thought:
new york city

lamer than I though:
washington DC
frisco
How was DC "lamer than you thought"?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
More impressed:

New Orleans - When I first went last year, I had moderate expectations and thought it would be a large Southern city with an urban culture and some unique quirks (only based on what I had seen in films). What I found was a city with THE most beautiful architecture in the U.S., THE best food out of any major U.S. city, friendly people, always something to do, and the feeling of Old South meets Europe which makes it one of the world's most unique cities

San Diego - In general I find California overhyped, so expected San Diego to be a materialistic plastic city with very little to offer for myself. Instead, it was beautiful, both in landscape and architecture, well-preserved, people were MUCH more friendly than in Los Angeles and San Francisco, and it wasn't as crazy liberal either.

Fort Worth - So much better than Dallas. Has a feel of "the South meets the West". Maintains its Southern and Texan culture (UNLIKE Dallas), has some beautiful women, a great historical section, friendly people, awesome food, and an enjoyable downtown.

Worse:

Seattle - This is a major U.S. city on par with Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, NYC, and LA? The famous "Pikes Place" market closed up at 6:00! At 8:00, when trying to find something for dinner, I was directed by two different people to a McDonald's, and when I asked for something more local, I was told that a bar would have some snacks if I wanted to walk 8 or 9 blocks down. This is a major city? What a joke!

EVERYTHING is expensive. They overhype the monorail which leads to downtown and nothing else. What is downtown? Nothing but a depressing area dominated by upscale department stores like Nordstrom's. No culture, other than extreme pretentiousness.

The feel of Seattle was as if Starbucks and Google collaborated to make some super-city filled with narcissistic yuppie pricks.

Some of the nastiest, most spoiled, arrogant people anywhere - Made NYC and Boston look like beacons of good grace and hospitality.

The city's excitement doesn't extend beyond the Space Needle, which is also, by the way, prostituted out by an overpriced restaurant, an overpriced ride to the top, and a criminally expensive parking lot built around it with parking goons waiting to extract more money from tourists a minute over their time allowance.

Seattle was a disgrace.

Funny, because I loved Portland.
I lived equidistant between Seattle and Vancouver for a year and would always prefer to head north because of some of the reasons you point out here. I found a lot of attitude in Seattle; pretentiousness, over-inflated egos. It's a pretty city and the more time I've spent there over the years, the more I like it. But I still think that the people are a bit high on themselves.

Pleasantly surprised: NOLA, NYC, Mexico City.

A bit let down: San Antonio & Denver--I probably had too high of expectations for Denver. I found it to be a bit trashy and provincial feeling downtown. I'd also thought it was closer to the Rockies. I get the sense, though, that like Austin, TX (where I lived a good while) there's a lot going on there and once you figure out the cool stuff you're good to go.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
More Impressive than I would have thought,...Phoenix

Not by virtue of its urban layout as Phoenix is the C-D whipping boy for sunbelt sprawl that gets hated on and scapegoated for not being urban enough. So when I visited Phoenix for the first time back in 2012, I had expected someplace akin to the 7th layer of hell. Instead I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of things. What I liked about Phoenix and its environs simply put, IT"S BEAUTIFUL. The landscaping, vegetation, and mystical Sonoran desert valley setting with scattered mountain ranges and colorful desert skies I found to be all rather captivating.

Yes it does take more effort to find the hidden treasures, good food, or nightlife but it is definitely accessible. Tempe and Scottsdale add a bigger picture of appeal that Phoenix relies on. Central Phoenix could use a lot of improvement, no question about it. Fortunately it is starting to move in that direction with the new light rail line and ASU campus, more investment is starting to show up and fill in the gaps along Central Ave.

I do really like all the new infrastructure, and it has the nicest and most aesthetically attractive freeway system I've driven on as they have a freshly minted look and feel. The Valley offers a decent and accessible quality of life that's not astronomically expensive. I just went back for a third visit last weekend and the place is really growing on me.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-24-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Above Expectations:

Seattle- Despite the cloudy skies nine out of the 10 days I was there. Downtown was very vibrant, Fairly nice people, Great Architecture and breathtaking landscape and to this day the best Chinese food I've ever had. Also the cleanest mass transit I've ever rode in.

San Diego- Lovely City, and very nice people. Balboa Park is breathtaking, Fashion Valley Mall is lovely. Great architecture also. And Coronado island is a gem.

Minneapolis- This one was a real shocker. Who knew!! The best of fly over country if you ask me.

Dallas/Forth Worth- It's not a wonder this area is growing like it is. The only disadvantage is the somewhat lackluster terrain. Tons to do and like much of Texas amazing food. Also their thunderstorms kick butt!

Atlanta- You can tell this city has taken strides to Put itself in the world view. Tons of attractions centered close to downtown. And very nice topography.

Denver- Love this town through and through. 16th street rocks!

Notable Mentions: Austin, TX, and Portland Oregon, and Los Angeles, DC

Underwhelming

Richmond, VA- It's that bad gritty feel that I don't care for. Yuck.
Reno, NV- bland and more bland. I would only fly here as a easy point of access to go skiing or vacationing in Tahoe.
New York -With the exception of Manhattan proper rubs me the wrong way. People aren't the nicest and it's too cold.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well then I was told different while I was down there. I also don't know why people's arms went up in a hailing way when standing looking at a bus when no cars were around lol. I believe you.
It does happen. I've done it in Chicago sometimes if I think the bus may speed past me. Maybe you just happened to be there on a day when people felt like there were a lot of inattentive bus drivers.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Indianapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.