U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM

5,645 posts, read 7,448,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkboy View Post
thanks but looking for things to match my criteria, not you're ideal place. Thanks tho!
lmfao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,808,811 times
Quote:
-COASTAL
-WARM YEAR-ROUND
-IS NEAR A DOWNTOWN AREA
-SAFE
-HAS GATED COMMUNITIES WITH LARGE HOUSES
-GOOD FOR FAMILIES
-GOOD SCHOOLS

if you know of such a town, please reply!
Tampa Bay, FL

Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Quote:
-COASTAL
10 out of 10. Easy access to several nice and distinct beaches on the Atlantic Ocean.

Quote:
-WARM YEAR-ROUND
8 out of 10. It'll get below freezing for a week or so each year.

Quote:
-IS NEAR A DOWNTOWN AREA
7 out of 10. Not far from Jax downtown, but that ain't really a great thing. As far as big city amenities and attractions go, Jacksonville's downtown gets a C minus. But you're also not far from St Augustine...and as far as small city, historic downtowns go, St Augustine gets an A.

Quote:
-SAFE
7 out of 10. Pick the right area. Do the right thing. And be smart. Then you'll be pretty safe.

Quote:
-HAS GATED COMMUNITIES WITH LARGE HOUSES
10 out of 10. I think Jacksonville is among the capitals of gated communities. I can't imagine there are more than one or two cities in the US that have as many of these as we do. And Ponte Vedra certainly has its share. What is most typical of such a neighborhood? Golf courses and tennis clubs, right? The ATP (association of tennis professionals) tour and the PGA (professional golf association) are both headquartered in Ponte Vedra.

Quote:
-GOOD FOR FAMILIES
9 out of 10. Pretty family friendly. Jax in general is family friendly.

Quote:
-GOOD SCHOOLS
8 out of 10. This is very much personal opinion, I believe...but people often point to St. Johns County (Ponte Vedra) as the part of Jax with good schools. Also plenty of good private school options in the region, and strong magnet programs in Duval County, although your kids would have to be both accomplished and fortunate to get in.

Quote:
if you know of such a town, please reply!
I just did, geez.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM

668 posts, read 2,085,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
Boca Raton,FLA
2nd that.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 PM

193 posts, read 429,455 times
Charleston, SC?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Savannah, GA

Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,527,672 times
Rockport Texas - It doesn't need gated communities - I often leave my door wide open. Its warm all year round however its 59 today (Dec 4) and I will probably stay indoors all day lol. Its 24 miles with no traffic to Corpus Christi. I've lived all over the US and picked this place- its really nice. I also like El Paso for a contrast (desert v ocean)

Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,455,565 times
my ideal town-

90% women
lots of alcohol
and nuthing to do

Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 PM

409 posts, read 1,366,712 times
Palm Harbor, FL

Is a gulf coast town. Its a safe, higher income area with lots of large houses in gated communities. It is a suburb of Tampa/St. Pete that has A-Rated Florida schools (most florida schools suck). It is centered in the Tampa Bay metro area and is within a half hour drive of both Tampa and St. Pete. Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island which are both top rated beaches by "Dr. Beach" are within 10 minutes of anywhere in Palm Harbor.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
I'd suggest a suburb of Houston, but the best suburbs are inland and not close to downtown. The areas that are truly coastal are either industrial or touristy and thus don't have very good schools.

I can't think of anywhere else on the Texas coast that has the schools and big houses in gated neighborhoods you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.