U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,978,609 times

Advertisements

America, dispite her good and bad, is still the greatest nation on Earth. America has always shown a history of progression. From civil rights, education, to rights of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,587,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
With job losses and recession talks becoming the norm in everyday conversations, people can easily become depressed and gloomy about the future of our great country.

Fortunately, America is still great! We have diversity, tolerance, freedom of speech, and so much more that countries around the world would die for. So while we may be in a recession, we will rise above and return to prosperity. After all, recessions are a normal part of the business cycle. It's sort of like a cold. You will get them every once and a while, but they always go away!

What do you love about the US?
Football.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 AM

55,696 posts, read 74,680,484 times
all the people that sound off about religion and life style would be jailed beaten or dead in the mideast.
i would not have any property if i lived in paris. my big treat would be a deux cheval ride to fountaine bleu on saturday and lil cheese and wine gathering at my 4th floor walk up 400 sq ft, apt on friday night thats it.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM

4,467 posts, read 8,446,541 times
I love that we have so much freedom here.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,877,448 times
W-I-D-E ... O-P-E-N ... S-P-A-C-E-S

...that we can all enjoy.

Or, looked at another way, 'privacy'... so the melting pot doesn't boil over.

To my knowledge the US is totally unique in it's vast and varied (protected) 'common areas'.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,163,751 times
1. The Constitution and especially the Bill of Rights.
2. Rule of Law, not Men, heavily influenced by the Magna Carta.
3. The fact we are a former British Colony, which gave us the elements responsible for 1 and 2 above, and, in general, the concept of Civil Society.

Sadly, reverence of these factors is increasingly criticized as "ethnocentric exceptionalism" and otherwise characterized as archaic, irrelevant and somehow at odds with "the Global Village." Poor education combined with increasing balkanization (at the expense of norming and assimilation) threaten the very roots of our unique society. As the song goes, you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,693,692 times
The vastness, the variety, the beauty of America. The diversity and the generally high standard of living we enjoy; the bounty of our land.

Relatively, we live in peace, harmony and safety. Sure there are some improvements we could make and are working on, but there are many places in the world where there isn't even a pittance of the things we enjoy and all too often take for granted.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,323,685 times
Owning machine guns and as much ammo as my cellar can hold.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,356 times
I love the fact that we still have the freedom to protest our government,that we can form or join groups to change government policies. Some believe protesting is un-American,that is un-believable

Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,802,610 times
I love how in the face of great adversity, like what we saw on 9/11/01, and Pearl Harbor, and in all the calls to action since the Civil War, that Americans of conservative, liberal, and all stripes between can band together and work towards a common goal. I am also proud that all Americans believe that a representative democratic republic like the one we live in may not be perfect but is the type of government which gives freedom and opportunity and the ability to express one's self.

We are a proud nation, and we will continue to be proud and it is this strength which has proven this nation so resilient to issues.

This economy and hard times on us are child's play to the Civil War. To the Great Depression, to the Great War and World War II, and to the spectre of nuclear holocaust ...

This is nothing. Quit hyperventilating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or