Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times

Advertisements

With job losses and recession talks becoming the norm in everyday conversations, people can easily become depressed and gloomy about the future of our great country.

Fortunately, America is still great! We have diversity, tolerance, freedom of speech, and so much more that countries around the world would die for. So while we may be in a recession, we will rise above and return to prosperity. After all, recessions are a normal part of the business cycle. It's sort of like a cold. You will get them every once and a while, but they always go away!

What do you love about the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I think the best years for the United States will be the next 8 years. Such an exciting time to be an American.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
One thing I like about America is that there is no dictator leading this country unlike some countries. The US is one of the most popular countries(if not the most) in the world. It seem like alot of other countries, you will find people wearing American brands like Nicky and Jordans for example.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
After all, recessions are a normal part of the business cycle. It's sort of like a cold. You will get them every once and a while, but they always go away!
Yeap, and this recession might be like the flu, and the Great Depression was like pneumonia.

Anyhow, to answer your question:

- The diversity. It's like the entire world packed into one country with the many cultures, races, and ethnic backgrounds.
- The scenery. All different types of geographical features from the Appalacians, Rockies, Pacific Northwest, Desert/rock formations in the Southwest like the Grand Canyon, California Coast, Florida beaches, and a lot more
- Variety of states that are like their own countries, and many cities/urban areas. It can be a good thing, though the downside is too much civic pride can cause rivalry with residents in other cities/states like we've seen on this forum
- The contemporary culture. I'm a bit of an entertainment buff, so I like being up to date on all the buzz in Hollywood and latest movies, TV shows, music, etc.
- Freedom. Although you still have plenty of strict laws, some more than other countries, it's a lot better than communist or fascist countries.
- Friendly people. Americans can have a reputation for being rude, selfish, or arrogant, but there are a lot of good-hearted, humble, polite, and respectful people as well.
- Sense of humor. Each country has a unique style of humor. I like Americans style. Many of them are sarcastic, and we can all relate to pop-cultural or political referances and share a laugh. Also, we have no problem laughing at our own culture or government in satirical comedy such as SNL.

I think America will be even better within the next decade. I think once the economy recovers we will have 90's-like prosperity.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
It seem like alot of other countries, you will find people making American brands like Nicky and Jordans for example.
fixed that for ya.

hahah in all seriousness I do love the country and can't wait to be back in 8 days!!!

After being in Canada my favorite thing is our CHEAP BOOZE. (20 bucks a 12pk of freakin' Bud Light?!! thank god Canada makes up for it with the weed) Oh, and don't we sorta run the world? I forget.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Another great thing about America is that you can rely on the government for protection. In most other countries you are guilty until proven innocent and the gov't will set you up to fall for someone else. Here. the gov't is for the people and by the people and you are innocent until proven guilty. I think that is how America gets a reputation for being a safe-haven for criminals.

We also have the strictest guidelines for health, food, and water. You ever drink the water in another country? It's not nearly as good as it is in America. Even in France I could taste the chemicals in the tap water. You ever eat in a restaurant in Mexico? DON'T!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
At this moment, I'm loving President Elect Obama, his wife and girls. I think they seem like a great family, and I'm excited to see what he can do to improve things in this country. I haven't felt this excited about a President in a very long time.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM

370 posts, read 1,016,207 times
Right now I love the ability to leave and visit European countries. But hopefully the next 4-8 years will be very happy and prosperous for us, but we're in a pretty big ditch

Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,388 times
I'll tell you what I don't like anymore. I hate how "special interests" run the country. We're not to far off from a "Dictatorship", we just disguise it much better and the everyday man just doesn't know it.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:41 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,960,276 times
I like that we have very varied landscape and climate. I love the fact that we have so many diverse cultures and different kinds of people.....I love the fact that our Interstates are always nice and smooth to ride on....yep, I love the U.S.A!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.