U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,406,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
1) The Northeast is home to some of the United States' biggest cities, and perhaps more importantly these cities in many cases have metro areas in multiple states. New York and Philadelphia (3 primary states for each) are the best example of this, and Boston is the primary city for 5 1/2 states.

2) The Northeast cities are very close together, so they tend to think in terms of rivalries with each other than with rivalries between states. Stated another way, pro sports rivalries have always meant a lot more in the northeastern states.

3) Most Northeast states are very small in geographic size. The small sizes limited the geographic scope of college teams' fanbases (with the exception of Penn State, which not coincidentally is in one of the two largest northeastern states).

4) Most northeastern states (in particular New York state) do not have big land grant universities. The land grant universities are usually the schools that have the big time college football programs. In New York state, there are a bunch of State University of New York schools, dispersing the state's students away from one big university and into a whole bunch of smaller ones.

5) The state university of New Jersey is not called New Jersey State or the University of New Jersey. It is called Rutgers. Most people don't realize Rutgers IS the State University of New Jersey.

6) Penn, which was a football power in the first half of the 1900's, deemphasized football in the late 1940's/early 1950's and joined the Ivy League.

7) Football is less popular in New England than any other part of the country.
Fantastically well written post, CHIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
To add to CHIP's post, the University of Buffalo has only been a D1 Football program for about 10 years and is one of the SUNY University Centers in NY State. Syracuse is a private school and Army/West Point is a US Military Academy.

As for the New England states, UConn is in a similar boat as Buffalo in terms of recently going D1 about 10 years ago and being the only State University that plays at that level in that part of the Northeast. Boston College is the only other D1 in New England.

Then Pennsylvania has 3 in Pitt, Temple and Penn State.

Rutgers is it for NJ.

Besides including West Virginia and maybe Navy and possibly Maryland, that's it.

Now, I will say this, on the D1-AA level or the Subdivision level, there are some very good teams in the Northeast. Formerly the Atlantic 10 Football Conference, the Colonial Athletic Association has a lot of teams from the Northeast that make the playoffs on that level. Check out UMass, New Hampshire, Maine, Hofstra and Delaware. Colgate in the Patriot League has been pretty good, along with Holy Cross, Fordham and Lehigh.

There are also some very good D2 and D3 Football programs in the Northeast too.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Villanova, as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Villanova, as well.
Yes, how can I forget them too. Do you know if LaSalle still plays Football too?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Nope.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Yes, I'm a Temple fan, because that's my school. Don't even go there...I've heard it all. Nothing you could say to bash our lack of success would be new.
Hey! No bashing here.... just curious. I have no beef with Temple, and actually saw a little progression for a moment there this season. Just keep it civil with my Ag's and all is good!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,863,763 times
Bottom line is that college football is basically the minor leagues. I think the question should be flipped around, and we should ask why people in the south and the midwest go nuts over what is basically minor league football? Here in PA, Penn State football is big, but its still not as big as the Eagles or Steelers.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Bottom line is that college football is basically the minor leagues. I think the question should be flipped around, and we should ask why people in the south and the midwest go nuts over what is basically minor league football? Here in PA, Penn State football is big, but its still not as big as the Eagles or Steelers.
What does it matter? Some people just think cucumbers taste better pickled.

Personally, I like seeing kids out there who play for loyalty to their school. They don't just wander around to various cities across the U.S., hired out to whomever is the highest bidder.

Plus, I know that the Gamecocks aren't going to pick up and move to Toronto if somebody important gets pissy. They aren't going to blackmail the city of Columbia, threatening to leave if a new stadium isn't built.

Plus, there is tradition there, even though we've always sucked. The team has been around for over 100 years, and all our rivals have been around for 100 years, too. "The Gamecock" was General Sumter, a revolutionary war hero, which my hometown was also named after. What the hell is a Carolina Panther?

Last edited by le roi; 01-07-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,863,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Personally, I like seeing kids out there who play for loyalty to their school. They don't just wander around to whomever is the highest bidder.
Loyalty to their school? Yeah right....then why do so many bail out early for the NFL? Div. I-A college football exists for one reason, as a feeder to the NFL. You might have a point if you were talking about Div. II or III, but I-A? No way. The almighty dollar rules Div I A college football, and most of those players are taking up scholarships they don't even deserve, especially at a lot of southern schools, where reading isn't even a requirement.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Loyalty to their school? Yeah right....then why do so many bail out early for the NFL?
"So many" don't. Only a small fraction of them leave early. The vast majority of college players are kids who don't go to the NFL.. even in the SEC.

Quote:
Div. I-A college football exists for one reason, as a feeder to the NFL.
College football predates NFL football.

As far as I'm concerned, the NFL exists in order to give former college players something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or