U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,878,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

That's B.S.

College football predates NFL football.
But that's what it has evolved into, a minor league for the NFL. Players pick a school based on their ability get noticed on national TV and go to the NFL. The corporate-sponsored bowl games, the biased rankings, etc. Its all about the $$$.

You want a more pure level of football...go watch a Div III game, those guys are doing it for the love of the game and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,929,039 times
I see both sides of the argument. I really just keep up with G-Tech (and the ACC) in college football but I do keep up with all of the NFL. I get the fact that in college football there's usually two sides to choose from in the state and with me I used to sort of look down on college football until I went to a Vols game when I lived in TN a couple of years ago and it was loud and lively. I like the NFL a little more because that's the high-quality football with better overall talent. The thing about the NFL I like is that they're ran correctly and I like college football because you get to see the standout and pick their game apart.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,799,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Loyalty to their school? Yeah right....then why do so many bail out early for the NFL? Div. I-A college football exists for one reason, as a feeder to the NFL. You might have a point if you were talking about Div. II or III, but I-A? No way. The almighty dollar rules Div I A college football, and most of those players are taking up scholarships they don't even deserve, especially at a lot of southern schools, where reading isn't even a requirement.
Alot of those guys at those southern schools are the reason why MOST of your northern NFL teams are good. There the ones fueling the Big Leagues. Everybody has to start somewhere. They werent born NFL players, and thats why we like college football so much down here. But I still love the NFL a little tad bit more.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Bottom line is that college football is basically the minor leagues. I think the question should be flipped around, and we should ask why people in the south and the midwest go nuts over what is basically minor league football? Here in PA, Penn State football is big, but its still not as big as the Eagles or Steelers.
here's the reason why. It's because in college football, the tradition is better, the pageantry is better, the rivalries are better, the atmosphere is better, and the game is more pure and better than the NFL. The fans are more into the game at college games compared to the NFL. I LOVE the NFL, but it does not touch college football in those regards.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,781,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Alot of those guys at those southern schools are the reason why MOST of your northern NFL teams are good. There the ones fueling the Big Leagues.
Good to see that southern schools have some useful purpose.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,934,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
1) The Northeast is home to some of the United States' biggest cities, and perhaps more importantly these cities in many cases have metro areas in multiple states. New York and Philadelphia (3 primary states for each) are the best example of this, and Boston is the primary city for 5 1/2 states.

2) The Northeast cities are very close together, so they tend to think in terms of rivalries with each other than with rivalries between states. Stated another way, pro sports rivalries have always meant a lot more in the northeastern states.

3) Most Northeast states are very small in geographic size. The small sizes limited the geographic scope of college teams' fanbases (with the exception of Penn State, which not coincidentally is in one of the two largest northeastern states).

4) Most northeastern states (in particular New York state) do not have big land grant universities. The land grant universities are usually the schools that have the big time college football programs. In New York state, there are a bunch of State University of New York schools, dispersing the state's students away from one big university and into a whole bunch of smaller ones.

5) The state university of New Jersey is not called New Jersey State or the University of New Jersey. It is called Rutgers. Most people don't realize Rutgers IS the State University of New Jersey.

6) Penn, which was a football power in the first half of the 1900's, deemphasized football in the late 1940's/early 1950's and joined the Ivy League.

7) Football is less popular in New England than any other part of the country.
Alot of good points here. Not many people know that about Rutgers. I have no idea about points 6 and 7 but I will take your word it lol.

Also not sure if anyone mentioned it but the large number of Pro teams in America's smallest region pretty much put a Pro team within a few hours drive of even most rural areas. At least for the last few decades.

I count Boston, NYC/NJ(2 teams), Philadelphia, Baltimore/Washington, Pittsburgh and Buffalo/Toronto. Syracuse and I believe Penn State? - two of the stronger college teams happen to play in the "gaps" between the above cities.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM

87,071 posts, read 102,785,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
here's the reason why. It's because in college football, the tradition is better, the pageantry is better, the rivalries are better, the atmosphere is better, and the game is more pure and better than the NFL. The fans are more into the game at college games compared to the NFL. I LOVE the NFL, but it does not touch college football in those regards.
Pure? Are you familiar with the CU football sex scandal? And they are just the ones who got caught! Also a number of arrests recently, mostly for things like DUI.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM

87,071 posts, read 102,785,508 times
OK, I just read through the whole thread. Here are some of my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Generally though, I always got the impression that New England schools put the money into academics instead of athletics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Because they focus on academics and culture. Sports to them are superficial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
they would rather give a full scholarship to someone who is academically talented and not based on how high they can jump or how fast they can run.
All very self-righteous and sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Northeast NFL Teams: 1. Patriots 2. Jets 3. Eagles 4. Giants 5. Bills 6. Steelers 7. Ravens

South NFL Teams: 1. Panthers 2. Redskins 3. Falcons 4. Jaguars 5. Dolphins 6. Saints 7. Bucs
8. Titans 9. Cowboys 10. Texans

West NFL Teams: 1. Chargers 2. Cardinals 3. 49ers 4. Seahawks 5. Raiders

Midwest NFL Teams: 1. Bears 2. Vikings 3. Packers 4. Lions 5. Rams 6. Broncos 7. Chiefs 8. Bengals 9. Browns 10. Colts

There are more NFL teams in the South and the Midwest than in the Northeast...and those are the two biggest college football fan areas also.
The Broncos are a western team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, i find this whole "WE ARE PENN STATE" thing to be weird....

who's this "WE"??
Only the eastern half of the state. The western half goes for Pitt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
What are you talking about? The most physically fit cities in the country are in the Northeast and some of the most devoted, insane, and obnoxious fans in sports are in the Northeast. Sports here are a way of life fom Boston to New York to Buffalo to Philly.
The most physically fit city in the country is Denver, I believe, according to most of these "lists".

Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,597,719 times
I just can't understand how in the world you can say you love NFL but hate college football. That's about like saying you love pizza but you hate tomato, cheese, pepperoni and all the other ingredients that go into it or I love cars but I despise auto factories. Northeasterners (with the exception of Pennsylvania maybe) are hypocrites. How can you sit there and say I love the Giants, Patriots, Redskins, etc. etc. but hate college ball when the guys you're cheering on to take your team to victory are all products of big Universities in the SEC or Big 10, Texas, Ok, etc. The NFL stars you love so much would probably be insulted to hear you bashing the college sport and schools that molded them into the players they are today. With out these places you're beloved NFL would not exist plain and simple or it would exist at a level of play that no one would want to see.

Besides you'll never see the type of excitment and enthusiasm you see in the stands at big time college games anywhere else.

I think it all boils down to alot of people in the Northeast love NFL because there are a lot of really good NFL teams with long tradition in the North East and they hate college ball because their college teams for the most part really bite.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,799,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Good to see that southern schools have some useful purpose.
It is useful. I agree Irishtom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or