U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,745,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Not true in Pennsylvania...Penn State draws over 110,000 for a big home game......and about 105,000 for any home game.
You got that right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM

110 posts, read 78,509 times
I just read through this whole entire thread and not one person mentioned the real reason why college football is more popular in the northeast than the south.... the answer is because of WEATHER. Kids start playing football at an earlier age in the south because of weather, which overall translates to slightly better talent in the south than the north. However, I also noticed how this turned into a bash the northeast thread. So, let me ask all of the southerners….. Why hasn’t the south produced any NHL players? The answer is because they all come from the Northeast, Midwest, Canada or another country. Maybe that is because the south is worried about producing the most Nascar drivers?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
It has a lot to do with where the talent is. The northeast is completely bare when it comes to football talent. Even the midwest, where football is popular, schools choose to come south to Florida and Texas for many of their college players.

http://www.mapgameday.com/ResultsbyState.pdf

This is from 2008, and for just a few examples of how many Division 1 football players were recruited from each state:
New Jersey high schools produced 50
New York high schools produced 24
Massachussetts high schools produced 7

Ohio high schools produced 146
Pennsylvania high schools produced 79
Illinois high schools produced 63

Florida high schools produced 358
Georgia high schools produced 158
Alabama high schools produced 95
Louisiana high schools produced 82
Mississippi high schools produced 74

you get the picture. It is hard for the northeastern schools to compete with their local talent. Boston College has 7 potential in-state prospects to choose from, LSU has 82. You can add up the entire northeast and it is about as talent-rich as the state of Georgia.
Overall the South has slightly better talent than the North in producing football players. But, don’t act like the Northeast doesn’t produce anything. The #1 state that you love to hate on this site produced the best top notch talent in the 2009 NFL draft. New Jersey has seven first-rounders taken in NFL Draft

Last edited by HudsonCounty; 09-10-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
"So many" don't. Only a small fraction of them leave early. The vast majority of college players are kids who don't go to the NFL.. even in the SEC.

College football predates NFL football.

As far as I'm concerned, the NFL exists in order to give former college players something to do.
So many don't simply because they are not good enough to leave early. Trust me, if they were good enough to be picked in the draft then they would bolt to the NFL too. What about Jared Cook, Emannuel Cook and Captain Munnerlyn leaving early? I would rather watch a regular season NFL game over the National Championship in college.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,860,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
I just read through this whole entire thread and not one person mentioned the real reason why college football is more popular in the northeast than the south.... the answer is because of WEATHER. Kids start playing football at an earlier age in the south because of weather, which overall translates to slightly better talent in the south than the north. However, I also noticed how this turned into a bash the northeast thread. So, let me ask all of the southerners….. Why hasn’t the south produced any NHL players? The answer is because they all come from the Northeast, Midwest, Canada or another country. Maybe that is because the south is worried about producing the most Nascar drivers?
Who really cares about hockey except those that are so bored up North with cabin fever they would watch the crap? I remember when the Lightning came to Tampa Bay, they couldn't give those tickets away. The South isn't the only region that is worried about producing Nascar drivers....15 of the 43 starters for the next race are from the Midwest, Northeast, and Canada.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Who really cares about hockey except those that are so bored up North with cabin fever they would watch the crap? I remember when the Lightning came to Tampa Bay, they couldn't give those tickets away. The South isn't the only region that is worried about producing Nascar drivers....15 of the 43 starters for the next race are from the Midwest, Northeast, and Canada.
My parents go to games often in Ft.Myers and the Everblades are very crowded. We went ice skating last winter, and the rink was packed.

Give me a break with the cabin fever cr*p...you assume everyone is miserable up north?

I wonder who would win in a fight...a Nascar driver, or a hockey player, hmmmmm

Old 09-10-2009, 06:33 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,757,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My parents go to games often in Ft.Myers and the Everblades are very crowded. We went ice skating last winter, and the rink was packed.

Give me a break with the cabin fever cr*p...you assume everyone is miserable up north?

He is partially correct though. Hockey is not really that popular in America. It is a fun sport to watch but nowhere near as popular as college football.

I would take a college linebacker over both the hockey player and the nascar driver.... at the same time no less

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't underestimate Nascar drivers. They have to behave in the politically correct world of Nascar, but most of them came up the ladder via shorts tracks and fighting is quite common there.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Nascar drivers are probably tough in a way that they're not afraid of speed and hitting other cars, but it doesn't mean they're physically strong. You don't make contact with your physical bodies.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Nascar drivers are probably tough in a way that they're not afraid of speed and hitting other cars, but it doesn't mean they're physically strong. You don't make contact with your physical bodies.
Yeah right, hockey is a girlyman's game. They hug and dance with each other more than throw any real punches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or