Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Getting back to the pro football/college football discussion, I personally can't fully get into college football because of the lack of a playoff system. I just shake my head when people say a playoff system would minimize the importance of the regular season - I have yet to see an NFL regular season ruined or minimized because 12 teams out of 32 qualify for the postseason. In fact, the NFL regular season is enhanced because there are a limited number of games and relatively few playoff spots, factors that would be true (and in some ways even more true) if Division I-A college football had a playoff system. Additionally, NFL games usually are more competitive than college football games because the talent gap between most teams is fairly small (hence the "on any given Sunday" axiom).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Overall the South has slightly better talent than the North in producing football players. But, don’t act like the Northeast doesn’t produce anything. The #1 state that you love to hate on this site produced the best top notch talent in the 2009 NFL draft. New Jersey has seven first-rounders taken in NFL Draft
I'm not "acting like" anything, I'm posting the data, stating the facts.

Sure, Jersey had a good year in 2009. Each state has their up and down years. Let's look at the bigger picture, keeping in mind that NJ is the best the northeast has to offer in terms of home grown football talent.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/draft-history-graphic.htm
First round draft picks by state, 1990-2009, selected states:

New Jersey - 21
Pennsylvania - 17
New York - 8
Massachussetts - 4
Connecticut - 3
ME, NH, VT, MA, RI - 0

compare to:

Florida - 80
Georgia - 34
North Carolina - 24
South Carolina - 24
Louisiana - 23
Virginia - 19
Alabama - 17
Mississippi - 16

Old 09-11-2009, 02:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Yeah right, hockey is a girlyman's game. They hug and dance with each other more than throw any real punches.
Yeah, all those bloody fights and they're just dancing around with one another on the ice. I'd like to see you go against a hockey player if you think they aren't tough. I'm sure that might change your mind.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, all those bloody fights and they're just dancing around with one another on the ice. I'd like to see you go against a hockey player if you think they aren't tough. I'm sure that might change your mind.
Been there and done that.....had a kid from Mass (a hockey player) move into the neighborhood when I was 17, stomped him silly one day after school. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 09-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: This was explained in the DM I sent to you.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
And of course I should have known when I saw the other thread that there was probably a thread just like it that was already on it's billionth page...so here is my stance in a nutshell.

Because there isn't as much football talent coming out of the northeast and new england as other parts of the country...so they can't really field teams with their own players from the region that are competitive.

Also:

College Ball

Tradition
Passion
Exciting
Loud
Charm
Rivalries
History

NFL

Comercialized
sterile
not true ties to the region or city

I will say the NFL has college beat with the playoff system...but that's about it.

And before I go:

Leave it to city data to turn a thread about football into a thread about hockey...seriously?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
Our states schools also really aren't that big compared to southern ones. Except for PSU, Rutgers, UCONN and UMass Amherst.

I know at my school we are mostly a basketball school. Thats the season we live for.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Our states schools also really aren't that big compared to southern ones. Except for PSU, Rutgers, UCONN and UMass Amherst.

I know at my school we are mostly a basketball school. Thats the season we live for.
You forgot Temple, Pitt, Maryland, UBuffalo.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Because i'd assume hockey replaced that void, goes with midwest too.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
You forgot Temple, Pitt, Maryland, UBuffalo.
Temple and Pitt aren't state schools. Aren't they private? Aw yes UMD. But one can argue that UMD and UDel are borderline southern. But I forgot about them.

UBuffalo and UAlbany(Go Great Danes!) both are large. Actually I don't know why they don't have a better football program.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Temple and Pitt aren't state schools. Aren't they private? Aw yes UMD. But one can argue that UMD and UDel are borderline southern. But I forgot about them.

UBuffalo and UAlbany(Go Great Danes!) both are large. Actually I don't know why they don't have a better football program.
No, we're both state schools.
UMD and UDel aren't southern at all.
UB has a good football program. They beat us on a hailmary to win the MAC East and then won the MAC Championship last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.