U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM

893 posts, read 2,520,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
No, we're both state schools.
UMD and UDel aren't southern at all.
UB has a good football program. They beat us on a hailmary to win the MAC East and then won the MAC Championship last year.
Oh really. Thats good to hear. Hopefully UB gets better and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:59 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,158,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
No, we're both state schools.
UMD and UDel aren't southern at all.
UB has a good football program. They beat us on a hailmary to win the MAC East and then won the MAC Championship last year.
Don't remind me. And that loss may not have even been the worst loss of the season for the Owls in 2008 (I'm talking about the Navy game, which I attended).

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,940 times
Talking about the pagentry and atmosphere of college ball is great, but the SIZABLE MAJORITY of fans prolly don't go to games. Easier to watch on TV. I dunno about college games but pro are expensive unless your team REALLY blows.

I said this before in other thread, while the pagentry isn't the same in the pros, the Northeast and Great Lakes have their own legends equal in weight to the stories of Rockne, the Bear, etc. Both Football and Baseball serve this void. Those regions pro teams attract as feverish attention and loyalty as Alabama, the Vols or Gators do locally. Regional rivalries take the same air too, (Big City Chicago vs. Small town Green bay..Rival rust belt cities in Cleveland and Pittsburgh among others). Natural seeing as how pro sports got started in those large urban areas, it's their own tradition.

College football is moderately followed overall in those regions. Up here, in the Northeast and Chicago and Indiana the big college sport is BASKETBALL. The DC area is CRAZY about Maryland and Georgetown Basketball and Philly has the Big 5.

Last edited by waltlantz; 09-18-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,870,160 times
PA is big for college football...especially Penn State, and Notre Dame has a huge following here. But I still prefer the NFL.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
And of course I should have known when I saw the other thread that there was probably a thread just like it that was already on it's billionth page...so here is my stance in a nutshell.

Because there isn't as much football talent coming out of the northeast and new england as other parts of the country...so they can't really field teams with their own players from the region that are competitive.

Also:

College Ball

Tradition
Passion
Exciting
Loud
Charm
Rivalries
History

NFL

Comercialized
sterile
not true ties to the region or city

I will say the NFL has college beat with the playoff system...but that's about it.
But the bottom line is...college football = minor league. I like college football, but the reality is is that its the NFL's minor league....just like the International League and Pacific Coast League is to baseball.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,279,113 times
Well, Maryland has only two BCS teams (Navy and Maryland), but they're followed with passion. Pennsylvania also only has two, but if you think College football isn't big there then you're very sadly mistaken. People live and die by PSU football, and Paterno steals all of Maryland's recruiting prospects. 'Cuse and Army fans are pretty crazy in New York as well, and there's a Maryland-Rutgers game next week that should be a sellout easily.

Then again, C. football is still bigger in the Midwest and South where it's followed religiously (literally) and everybody is a fan. The SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 have the largest and most expensive football stadiums (these conferences have 15 of the 20 largest CFB stadiums). It makes you wonder when Alabama, the 5th poorest state in the country, builds and performs two expansions (at $47m and $80.6) to the 11th largest stadium in the country with a capacity of 92,000.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
It makes you wonder when Alabama, the 5th poorest state in the country, builds and performs two expansions (at $47m and $80.6) to the 11th largest stadium in the country with a capacity of 92,000.
Probably why Alabama will continue to be poor....rather than spending that money on academic scholarships or upgrades to academic buildings, they spend it on the football stadium.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Everytime I go to parts a New England and when I want to watch a game, i feel like the oddman out. I'm the only one that cares. Why is this??
It's because of the lack of local talent which in turn results in the lack of fielding good local teams. There's plenty of huge college football fans here though (like me)...

Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,236,494 times
Well let's clarify "huge." To me, when you say "huge college football fan", that means that you do not pay attention to any other team sports. Fall and Winter are college football season, Spring and Summer are college football recruiting season. There is no room for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL.

That's how I am, and I don't consider myself a "huge college football fan". I don't go to every away game, I don't have any college football tattoos, I have never shot or stabbed anyone over college football, I wouldn't pay $200,000 for a tailgating condo next to the stadium.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,158,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well let's clarify "huge." To me, when you say "huge college football fan", that means that you do not pay attention to any other team sports. Fall and Winter are college football season, Spring and Summer are college football recruiting season. There is no room for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL.

That's how I am, and I don't consider myself a "huge college football fan". I don't go to every away game, I don't have any college football tattoos, I have never shot or stabbed anyone over college football, I wouldn't pay $200,000 for a tailgating condo next to the stadium.
To me, that sounds like a huge college football fan who doesn't like other sports. I don't think there are that many "sports" fans like that for any sport (except perhaps fans who follow "individual" sports - auto racing, golf, tennis, etc.). Most sports fans I know (including myself) follow at least 2 sports very closely and a few other sports more casually.

BTW, I'd say doing any or all of the things mentioned above - going to every away game for your favorite team, having team tatoos, trying to kill someone because they badmouthed your team, or paying $200,000 for a tailgating condo next to the stadium - doesn't put you in the "huge" fan category, it puts you in the "obsessed" fan category.

Last edited by CHIP72; 09-19-2009 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or