U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,406,201 times
Reputation: 857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Don't remind me. And that loss may not have even been the worst loss of the season for the Owls in 2008 (I'm talking about the Navy game, which I attended).
Well the Navy game was probably worse, because coach could've just done a kneel down and punted to Navy with like 15 seconds left in the game. Fortunately, I was not at the Navy game, nor the UB game, but I had the displeasure of listening to both (and crying afterwards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
PA is big for college football...especially Penn State, and Notre Dame has a huge following here. But I still prefer the NFL.
College football is especially big in PA amongst people who didn't graduate from HS. They loooooooove their Nittany Lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
People live and die by PSU football, and Paterno steals all of Maryland's recruiting prospects.
PSU takes everyone's recruits. All of the Philly kids want to play for Penn State. It sucks, because we have kids right down the street we can recruit, but once PSU offers, we're done. Not that we don't lose a ton of kids to UMD too :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well let's clarify "huge." To me, when you say "huge college football fan", that means that you do not pay attention to any other team sports. Fall and Winter are college football season, Spring and Summer are college football recruiting season. There is no room for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL.
That is one of the most absurd and laughable statements I have ever read in my 12 years on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well let's clarify "huge." To me, when you say "huge college football fan", that means that you do not pay attention to any other team sports. Fall and Winter are college football season, Spring and Summer are college football recruiting season. There is no room for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL.

That's how I am, and I don't consider myself a "huge college football fan". I don't go to every away game, I don't have any college football tattoos, I have never shot or stabbed anyone over college football, I wouldn't pay $200,000 for a tailgating condo next to the stadium.
I think you can still be a huge fan without ignoring other sports. I follow the Sox, Celts, and Pats but I'm still constantly following all news on Clemson...to a lesser extent also UGA. I have followed West Virginia's current running back, Noel Devine, since he was a sophomore in high school.

I follow recruiting to a pretty good degree. I would pay $200k+ for a tailgating condo if I had the money to do so. I'm only 24 though so I haven't built up the funds yet.

People who don't follow other sports just b/c they love college football too much, have tattoos of their team, and constantly get into serious fist fights over CFB aren't "huge" college football fans...they're "huge" losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
Reputation: 6075
I think its because there's so many good Pro Football teams in the Mid-Atlantic & New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,277,228 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think its because there's so many good Pro Football teams in the Mid-Atlantic & New England.
Yeah, I know the Redskins and Ravens are by far the best football teams the world has ever seen (it goes beyond unimportant things such as stats and win percentages). The thing is you have terrible, embarrasing teams like the Steelers and Giants in this region also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Chicago
721 posts, read 1,573,177 times
Reputation: 449
Because they prefer to watch Polo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yeah, I know the Redskins and Ravens are by far the best football teams the world has ever seen (it goes beyond unimportant things such as stats and win percentages). The thing is you have terrible, embarrasing teams like the Steelers and Giants in this region also.
Weren't these 2 teams the winners of the Super Bowl in 2009 & 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 PM
 
294 posts, read 580,426 times
Reputation: 145
LOL this thread is amazing... a real insight into some of the boorish southern hicks and their retarded "college football is god" mentality. We like other sports in the North because we are a more sophisticated culture up here. It's more interesting to follow multiple championship quality teams in many different sports competing at a very high level, then to be completely obsessed with one sport year round. Talk about booooringgggg... so there's your answer, in a nutshell.

Oh and to the idiot ITG southerner, yeah I bet you beat up a hockey player... a little kid in school that plays hockey LMFAO!! Hockey players would absolutely kill players from all other sports except for football and rugby players. I watched my pens win the cup this past year (the greatest trophy in sports) and I must say I feel sorry for all of you southerners that miss out on this fast and exciting sport. Yes, even the simpletons that bash everything northern yet can't spell their names thanks to their comprehensive southern edumacation.

Thanks for the laughs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 AM
 
Location: MI
1,068 posts, read 2,860,415 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
LOL this thread is amazing... a real insight into some of the boorish southern hicks and their retarded "college football is god" mentality. We like other sports in the North because we are a more sophisticated culture up here. It's more interesting to follow multiple championship quality teams in many different sports competing at a very high level, then to be completely obsessed with one sport year round. Talk about booooringgggg... so there's your answer, in a nutshell.

Oh and to the idiot ITG southerner, yeah I bet you beat up a hockey player... a little kid in school that plays hockey LMFAO!! Hockey players would absolutely kill players from all other sports except for football and rugby players. I watched my pens win the cup this past year (the greatest trophy in sports) and I must say I feel sorry for all of you southerners that miss out on this fast and exciting sport. Yes, even the simpletons that bash everything northern yet can't spell their names thanks to their comprehensive southern edumacation.

Thanks for the laughs!
What an epic fail of a post. The SEC has 168 National Championships since 1933 in several sports, football, basketball, men and womens' indoor and outdoor track, swimming and diving, baseball, tennis, gymnastics, etc. Even the Northeast's pro teams wouldn't amount to squat if their rosters were not full of former players from conferences like the SEC, Big 10 and the Big 12.

Hockey players tough? Haha...... Look at the candypants clowns in this vid, that's not a fight. They might as well put a twister mat down and dress them in tutus to toughen it up a little. I've seen better fights at the shuffleboard courts in FL with 2 senior citizens going at it toe to toe.

Hockey Fight Of The Year!!! Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM
 
5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
Reputation: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Weren't these 2 teams the winners of the Super Bowl in 2009 & 2008?
Not to mention the Steelers have won something like Six Stupor Bowels while the Giants have Three Stupor Bowels under their belt. Someone is obviously clueless about which NFL teams are at the top of the pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,277,228 times
Reputation: 569
Geez the sarcasm was really lost on you guys. Obviously the Steelers and Giants are accomplished teams, but I still hate them anyway, especially the Steelers. I actually dont mind the Giants that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top