U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 PM

297 posts, read 442,216 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ and I am a huge college football fan. I agree that people around here aren't really into it compared to the NFL. I am not an NFL or a high school football fan. I just love college football. It's probably the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, as weird as that sounds. The only person who I can really talk to about it is my dad since everyone else either doesn't know anything or just knows about Rutgers. I am a Rutgers fan but I like to know what is happening with every team. I'm moving to Iowa next week so it will be interesting to see the difference between college football support there and college football support in NJ.

A lot of kids from my high school wear Rutgers shirts and go to games but I feel like that is where their supports ends. Maybe I'm underestimating them but I feel like if I asked them what their conference realignment dream situation would be, a lot of them would be like, "What?"

ONE MONTH UNTIL COLLEGE FOOTBALL '10!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM

3,450 posts, read 8,149,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh really? Check out WVU's football schedule...

Coastal Carolina
Marshall
Maryland
LSU
UNLV
South Florida
Syracuse
UConn
Cincinnati
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Rutgers

Half of the teams WVU plays are from the South, while only five are from the Northeast...so the teams it plays are not "traditionally" from the Northeast.

West Virginia IS NOT a northeastern state in any way, shape or form. It may have ties to Pennsylvania, but so does every state that borders another one. I personally don't care and don't want West Virginia to be included in the South, but it's definitely not included in the Northeast...sorry. You may want it to be, but it's not.
Geez, there's some faulty logic in this post:

1) West Virginia has to play all of the teams in its conference; those are the last 7 teams listed in the schedule. WVU has no control over the fact that 3 of those schools are not Northeast schools or that the Big East added Cincinnati, Louisville, and South Florida to the conference a few years ago.

2) As was discussed at various points in this thread, there are relatively few Division I-A teams in the Northeast that aren't in the Big East, which means West Virginia needs to schedule non-conference games against non-regional schools. Penn State won't play them because PSU wants a few opponents where they can get 2-for-1 home/road game deals (so they can have 7 home games per season) and WVU wouldn't agree to a 2-for-1 with Penn State. Temple doesn't play them because West Virginia has more to lose than to gain from playing Temple AND WVU probably would want a 2-for-1 from Temple and Temple probably won't agree to that when a 2-for-1 deal with other schools, notably Penn State, makes more sense.

3) Marshall is an in-state rival to West Virginia, so Marshall's "region" makes no difference.

4) West Virginia and Maryland are bordering states and have a long-time rivalry (as Maryland has or has had with some of the other Northeast schools). I think this game is particularly big in WV's eastern panhandle and MD's western panhandle (areas that are quite similar to one another, not to mention across the Potomac River from one another). Also, Maryland is not a southern school; it is a Mid-Atlantic school. If you tell anyone who attends Maryland or lives near where the school is located that Maryland is a southern school, you will be mocked and laughed at. (For the record, I live about 5 miles from Maryland's College Park campus.)

In addition to the above, I'll also mention, as was noted previously, that back in the days prior to the Big East football conference, there was essentially an unofficial conference composed of the eastern independents - Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Syracuse, Temple, Rutgers, and Boston College. These schools played all or most of the other schools every year (and I miss those days, but that's an aside). Penn State didn't join the Big East Conference because there were conflicts at the sports administration level between Penn State-Syracuse and Penn State-Pittsburgh. (The Big East officially formed a football conference soon after Penn State joined the Big Ten though.) Boston College joined the ACC for money purposes, not rivalry purposes (and IMO their decision has been to BC's detriment). Temple was pushed out of the Big East due to uncompetitiveness and lack of commitment to football (both of which have turned around to a significant degree the last few years).

Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 AM

34,667 posts, read 33,667,394 times
I'll go with the answer "becausse the emphasis is on yachting."

Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
[quote=th3vault;643035
Generally though, I always got the impression that New England schools put the money into academics instead of athletics.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! It is college after all, right?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly! It is college after all, right?
I think that's a cop out and a bad excuse personally. You do have great academic institutions with great athletic programs. Examples are Texas, Michigan, Cal, Stanford, and UCLA.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,945,239 times
Just consider your school lucky. They don't have to play an SEC shedule.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think that's a cop out and a bad excuse personally. You do have great academic institutions with great athletic programs. Examples are Texas, Michigan, Cal, Stanford, and UCLA.
Good point...not to mention Miami, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Virginia, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Georgia, and many others. Having a great athletic program certainly doesn't cancel out great academics - it only enhances them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or