U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times
Reputation: 2784

Advertisements

Northeast NFL Teams: 1. Patriots 2. Jets 3. Eagles 4. Giants 5. Bills 6. Steelers 7. Ravens

South NFL Teams: 1. Panthers 2. Redskins 3. Falcons 4. Jaguars 5. Dolphins 6. Saints 7. Bucs
8. Titans 9. Cowboys 10. Texans

West NFL Teams: 1. Chargers 2. Cardinals 3. 49ers 4. Seahawks 5. Raiders

Midwest NFL Teams: 1. Bears 2. Vikings 3. Packers 4. Lions 5. Rams 6. Broncos 7. Chiefs 8. Bengals 9. Browns 10. Colts

There are more NFL teams in the South and the Midwest than in the Northeast...and those are the two biggest college football fan areas also.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 12-05-2008 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Reputation: 70844
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I'm sure someone said this already and I'm too lazy to look.

It's because they have a crapload of NFL teams. They don't have to gravitate towards college sports as much.
That makes the most sense...highly populated areas with professional teams in close proximity. The ones in the rest of the country tend to be spread out over greater land mass.

This whole, "Oh, we're so snooty awesome b/c we spend money on academics instead of athletics..." garbage; hey, that stuff is not mutually exclusive! You can do both.

And college basketball is pretty big up there, so how does that work out for your little theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times
Reputation: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
what does Georgetown have to do with football?
Um, where did I mention Georgetown and football? I was listing highly regarded academic institutions and powerhouse athletic programs. No football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Reputation: 5637
I think it's because the Northeast, historically, has always had a large number of pro teams. Most of the NFL teams in existence in the Northeast have been there since the 1910s, '20s and '30s. For a long time, the Washington Redskins were "the only pro football team in the South." In fact, the Redskins fight song used to end with the line, "Fight for old Dixie!" (It now ends, "Fight for old DC"). It wasn't til the 1960s that other teams started popping up in the South (Dallas, Miami, Atlanta). And only recently that teams have arrived to cities like Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville. So while many kids today in the South are growing up with pro teams in their cities, their parents didn't have pro teams around. I believe that's a major reason college and even high school football are "more important" in places like the South than in the Northeast.

I think college football is slowly, very slowly, becoming of more interest in the Northeast. Syracuse (though lousy lately) has always been a big draw. Penn State and Pitt are big. Rutgers (the birthplace of college football) has put a lot into building up its football program in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Cortland, Ohio
3,323 posts, read 9,572,329 times
Reputation: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Northeast NFL Teams: 1. Patriots 2. Jets 3. Eagles 4. Giants 5. Bills 6. Pirates 7. Ravens

South NFL Teams: 1. Panthers 2. Redskins 3. Falcons 4. Jaguars 5. Dolphins 6. Saints 7. Bucs
8. Titans 9. Cowboys 10. Texans

West NFL Teams: 1. Chargers 2. Cardinals 3. 49ers 4. Seahawks 5. Raiders

Midwest NFL Teams: 1. Bears 2. Vikings 3. Packers 4. Lions 5. Rams 6. Broncos 7. Chiefs 8. Bengals 9. Browns 10. Colts

There are more NFL teams in the South and the Midwest than in the Northeast...and those are the two biggest college football fan areas also.

Pirates????? I think you mean Steelers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,461 posts, read 7,526,734 times
Reputation: 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ;
There are more NFL teams in the South and the Midwest than in the Northeast...and those are the two biggest college football fan areas also.
It's not that simple, however. As lammius noted, most of the professional football franchises in the South are much newer compared to those in the North. They are much more embedded in the culture and have larger fan bases compared to those in the South (save, perhaps, the Dallas Cowboys).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
334 posts, read 1,179,995 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I think it has more to do with like the others said, there aren't as many large flagship land-grant schools in northeast. Plus they have more pro teams.

I love college football, and even California isn't really into it. It is more of a midwestern/southern thing.
I would't say that's true. Cal and Stanford are huge in my neck of the woods, and same with USC and UCLA down in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times
Reputation: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Pirates????? I think you mean Steelers!
God, can't a ***** make a mistake? Jeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Cortland, Ohio
3,323 posts, read 9,572,329 times
Reputation: 1512
No need to get your panties in a bunch. I was just pointing out the mistake. Besides, you can call them whatever you want..........i'm a Browns fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Think about it. 120 major college team, each one with players all within a 4-year age cohort, each one carrying about 40 players who play a significant amount of time. That's over 1,000 players within each age cohort,, all of them under 22, with very little experience or maturity.

Major League baseball, for example, has almost no players at the age of college players, and only about 100 players in each age cohort, all of whom have about 5 more years of experience than college football players. For MLB to be as poor as college football, talentwise, there would have to be 300-400 teams. How good would that be? College football, in terms of quality of play and skill level, is about the equivalent of the very lowest level of minor league baseball. The Lowell Spinners. In fact, almost exactly the equivalent of the Cape Cod League, which is college level players under age 22.
Your argument would be true if college football were designed to have parity. But in reality, there's a huge difference between SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 talent than Temple or Utah State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top