U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,278,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I see what you're saying, but although there is a lot of tradition in Big Ten football, I think the South is a lot more fervent in their support of college football. In the Midwest it seems that the people supporting college football teams are largely alumni of those institutions or college educated people who grew up near their favorite college football team. College football in the Midwest doesn't have the "blue collar" base that you would find with NFL teams (with few exceptions such as Ohio State and Notre Dame). In the South, everyone represents for their favorite college football team, no matter if they're an alumni or not.
The entire discussion was about the popularity of college football in the U.S. regions other than the Northeast. It is most popular in the Midwest and South regions, and I would include the Big12 in the Midwest with the Big Ten...and the Mid-American, Mountain West, and Conference USA have some teams there as well. Not really much diffferent than the South with the SEC and ACC and parts of other conferences.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
On a somewhat related note, here is a CommonCensus Sports map that shows pro. football team allegiances across the country. It's pretty notable how the Northeastern/Midwestern NFL teams tend to have more numerical support than the Southern NFL teams:

CommonCensus Sports Map
? When did the topic change to this?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Actually, I got to thinking. My theory made no sense. Many states have multiple NFL teams and other professional sports and are still very big on collegiate sports.

I know why the northeast is not quite as crazy about college football.

Itís because they generally suck at football. Wow, that's an obvious one.
Thank you. I agree.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it's not the "reason" though. I agree the best talent as a whole is found down there, but it's because football is taken more seriously at younger ages, which produces better players who go to colleges where football is taken more seriously, and round and round it goes.

the larger question is - why is it such a big deal down there? i don't mean it as a put down, as I LOVE football, but it blows my mind that high school football draws such a huge crowd.
Then why is college basketball much more popular "down there"? Same reason?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:03 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,780,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Then why is college basketball much more popular "down there"? Same reason?
? When did the topic change to basketball?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:04 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,577,242 times
College is for degrees. The NFL is for football.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,676 times
New England is a hockey mecca. All other sports take a back seat to hockey. Plus... only 2 popular major college football teams exist in the NE that I can think of...that being Boston College and Syracuse.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,986,984 times
Wow, this is some thread ...

Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
But watching something on television that is happening far far away does not make it part of your city's local culture. A fan can latch onto a team in another city, but a team gets a big popular following when it's playing in one's city, appearing on the local news, and in local parades, etc. I think it's fair to say that professional football became a bigger part of the culture of northeastern cities because it has, for generations, existed in almost every northeastern city. By comparison, the South has had a relatively low presence of professional football. Professional football has existed in some southern cities since the '60s. I think this is part of the reason many college programs have been built up so much and have achieved such huge followings.
Truth. Here's the argument right here (above).

Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,816 times
Penn State's is the anomaly in this thing but Boston College I can see getting huge because they're now getting more exposure because they're in the ACC now and plus they will play a lot of games in the Southeast (warm weather attracts talant). I really don't buy that "we focus on education more" argument because we all remember the 5 billion Scarlet Knight fans who materialized before our eyes when they had that one good year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or