U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 4,141,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Because they focus on academics and culture. Sports to them are superficial.
Unfortunately, this is much of the feeling that I got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,221,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
In the Northeast we're all about the big time, not little league... Take it from a future college football player.
I'm guessing you'll be headed to the NFL, as well?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,728,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I'm guessing you'll be headed to the NFL, as well?
I wouldn't want to. It's said that NFL players have a shorter life span from all of the hits which take a toll on your body.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,728,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Because they focus on academics and culture. Sports to them are superficial.
What are you talking about? The most physically fit cities in the country are in the Northeast and some of the most devoted, insane, and obnoxious fans in sports are in the Northeast. Sports here are a way of life fom Boston to New York to Buffalo to Philly.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:43 PM

2,227 posts, read 4,141,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
What are you talking about? The most physically fit cities in the country are in the Northeast and some of the most devoted, insane, and obnoxious fans in sports are in the Northeast. Sports here are a way of life fom Boston to New York to Buffalo to Philly.
True, regarding major league sports, but College football is not as popular in the northeast as it is in the midwest or south (except in parts of Pennsylvania and parts of Upstate New York)

Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM

29 posts, read 115,491 times
Football in the northeast sucks and there aren't really any good teams

Old 12-06-2008, 06:10 PM

29 posts, read 115,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Unfortunately, this is much of the feeling that I got.
That isn't really the major reason. It's mostly because they just suck at sports in general

Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,104,385 times
The Northeast has lots of talented basketball, baseball and hockey players. But football has always taken a back seat to the above three sports at least at the college level. Aside from BC, UConn, Syracuse, Buffalo, Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Penn State there isn't a lot of Div. 1 college football teams in the region. And yes, more emphasis is placed upon academics by most Northeastern institutions of higher learning than sports.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 PM

18,660 posts, read 27,118,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theamericanguy View Post
Football in the northeast sucks and there aren't really any good teams
Yeah...this is probably it. The quality of the game is much higher in the south. When the offseason ends in the Northeast (and Mid-Atlantic for that matter somewhat), it's time to bring out the basketball or the lacrosse sticks. But in the South, football is still played. After the season, Spring football, than 7 on 7's, than multiple all star games. It's 365 days down south.

In Texas there are a couple sayings about football.
There are only two sports. Football and Spring Football
There are two seasons in Texas. Football season and the offseason.

When you look at the SEC championship game, more of those players are from the Southeast. You won't get that type of quality of talent or quality of games with Northeastern teams.

Now when it comes to the basketball, got to give it up to the Northeast on that one.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,587 times
I am a student at Boston College, I have been a life long fan and with many of my friends, the majority of them dont like college because of reasons I dont understand. I was a senior in 2006, my high school would have about 9.000 people show up to a home game In New England that in a real lot When i went to one of my brothers game this year there was about 300 people at it. I asked my father and he said it was like that every single game. Football is just a pro thing here in New England and there is no explanation. I dont think that the schools spend more money on academics in the north but we have a severe brain drain. Alot of peope are educated in the new england and once they have there degree they leave. I was recruited by many SEC schools for baseball and a few ACC schools for football. I wanted to leave because lets face it im from the DR and I dont like this winter weather. And there is really only 1.5 good teams to root for in NE, BC and UNH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or