U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,768 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. First Post...

I've stumbled upon this site after conducting a google search for "Small Country Village near a lake that is a nice place to raise kids". Yeah, I was pushing the envelope there But, why not. It's what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, that search criteria doesn't return exactly what I'm looking for. So, I'm hoping someone sees this post and is willing to share that perfect place I'm looking for with me.

I think I'm in a unique position. I'm a freelance web designer and developer with aspirations of being a fine artist. I have clients in major cities that I've never met face-to-face. So, I'm thinking I can pretty much live wherever I want as long as I have an Internet connection. (Which includes wherever you are since you are reading this post).

So, picture this...

Small country-style home. Not too large - Not too small. Just the right amount of space for a family of three or four. Walking out onto the front porch - off to the side is a porch swing - where you enjoy lazy summer evenings - just relaxing and enjoying the company of friends and family. You look out over a nice piece of land with a tire-swing in the front yard. You picture your kids enjoying playing in the yard with their friends from the neighborhood. Perhaps your watching the sunrise in the valley or seeing a sunset over the lake. Walking into the village in the early evening. Stopping briefly to say hello to your neighbors who know you and your family. You appreciate the real value of your life - not measured in your salary or how big your home is or how many cars or Plasma TVs are in your home. But, in the knowledge that you are showing your son that "things" are not as important as feeling satisfied, content and happy.

That's what I'm looking for. I've seen it once before - while on my honeymoon in Ireland. The village of Blarney next to Blarney Castle where my wife and I visited, enjoyed dinner in a small local pub, met a few friendly people, then watched a soccer match in the town center. It was Perfect.

I'm hoping I can find that place here in the U.S. and I'm hoping one of you will share that place with me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:20 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,899,724 times
I think you just described Davidson, N. C.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,244,966 times
Actually, Asheville, North Carolina might fit it.

In some ways it's typical deep South, and kind of Mayberryish, but then again, it's also known for a very strong arts community and being a little funky (compared to Southern cities) as well. You can have a very rural country home with a big porch and all that, and in a few minutes be in the city center which isn't too large. But should the need arise to do something "big city like", you are only 1.5 hours or so from Charlotte, and 3 hours from Atlanta.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,344,452 times
Any small midwestern town. Not even kidding. It's like the 1900s in these towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.