U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times

Advertisements

I prefer 4 seasons, so I guess the weather makes a difference in my choice. There is no perfect place to live, some places have decent summer weather and crappy winter weather. Some places have decent winter weather, and horrible summer weather. San Diego/LA and Honolulu are about the only places in this country with year round liveable weather. Would I move somewhere just for the weather? Heck no, especially if the place is a major downstep from my current location. Sunshine or snow wont buy you happiness if the folks are rude, the traffic/crime is bad, the food sucks and the whole overall vibe sucks. No point in living that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,088,354 times
i am more interested in the weather now that I am older and choose based on that now yes

Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,701,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sunshine or snow wont buy you happiness if the folks are rude, the traffic/crime is bad, the food sucks and the whole overall vibe sucks. No point in living that way.
Very true.

I'm gratefull that I live near a stellar pizza restaurant, 10 minutes walk from my house. Every pizza is made with fresh dough. No "cardboard" frozen crusts re-heated like at Dominos. Their dough is so delicious that I'm almost tempted to order a pizza with no toppings, not even cheese.

Traffic though very heavy at times is not horrible in my part of the GTA. Crime is generally low and some of my neighbours are friendly.

Only downsides (besides cold climate) for me are I'd like to see some more open, undeveloped fields and woodlands near by and that I can't afford to own a home here. (live with my parents still)

Besides that, it's pretty sweet here.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM

673 posts, read 3,752,199 times
I dont think weather is the most important, but its up there.

I lived in North Dakota and after two winters up there, I didnt know how much the weather impacted people's lives.

Seriously, I remember times where the first 30 degree day was literally a celebration after a month of single-digit high temperatures. I dont mind the cold, but that was just way too much and I like to run and how can one run when its below zero outside with strong winds.

My ideal weather is Ohio. It can be a little too cold in the winter-time though for my tastes but the summers are nice.
I love all rain there also, the air in Ohio always smells so nice and fresh and with all the trees and flowers.

I love the temperatures on average back in the front range Colorado where I am from highs average mid 40s winter and low 80s summer but the lack of humidity and lack of rainfall can make everything very dry and alot of people have to irrigate their sinuses daily.

I have to say ideally, I like a city with average highs in the 40s in the winter time and highs in the low 80s in the summer time. I also like a cloudy climate with lots of rain but a little bit of sun also.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:56 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,442,099 times
Weather is important to me. I couldn't take too much heat. Phoenix and Las Vegas are not options! However, I'm not sure I could take frigid winters, either. This is the problem with living in So-Cal my entire life! I have no idea what it would be like to live in an area where it gets really cold and grey for months at a time. The disparity between wages and housing prices means that when I leave Los Angeles, I can never come back. I'll have to be extremely careful. In fact, I may never leave this area even with all of my whining and complaining, because the weather elsewhere is scary!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,078,536 times
I wouldn't want to live in drastic winters or summers. I live in SoCal, but if I were to move, and I'm sure I will down the road, it will have to be west of the Rockies.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:51 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,930,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree!!! Give me cold over hot any day especially in the mountains
Amen to that sister!! I love the cold!! Guess that's why I'm in Minnesota. Anything at 30 below standing temp is getting a bit too cold for me. The coldest I've been in is 40 below with wind chill. It always cracks me up when people say, "Oh but it was only 17 below, so it really wasn't 40 below." My answer, if the wind is hitting your face...you will feel the effects of the 40 below. Thus it's just frigid!! I've lived in Florida and do not like extreme heat and humidity.

Lived in Portland, Oregon and it's very temperate. If it gets to 40 people start whining like crazy. I will say though it's a very wet 40 so it does get bone chilling. I talked to a friend today and he said they were on a two-hour snow delay because some of the upper elevations got snow. No snow in Portland, but they were on snow delay. I'm still laughing!! I did live there for 7 years so I know it very well. Give me cold and snow anyday!! And the weather gurus here say we're going to be hit with another 16 inches of snow in the next two days! Time to hunker down and enjoy some movies, popcorn and family fun.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,701,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I love the temperatures on average back in the front range Colorado where I am from highs average mid 40s winter and low 80s summer but the lack of humidity and lack of rainfall can make everything very dry and alot of people have to irrigate their sinuses daily.
What?!?
I never heard of irrigating sinuses...

We get some pretty dry air in winter, but usually only because of extreme cold. Like when it's in the single digits or lower the dewpoint can be below -10 F.

But normally the humidity never drops below 40%... I suppose that's one good thing about the Great Lakes climate.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Trust me, out west, especially in the summer, its a fight to keep your skin from cracking and bleeding. The lips chap, the nose bleeds, the throat feels like sandpaper,the hair cracks, LOL. If you live out west, conditioner, lotion, lip balm are the norm. I suppose you could get accustomed to it over time, but its pretty miserable.

I enjoyed your response to my post. Id agree there. Food makes the world go round, no doubt. When I vacation every year in areas of the country, it really makes me wonder how they get by, seriously. Its funny, when I have people visit us here, they go on and on and on and on about the food and how good it is. When family comes back to visit, the first thing they do is unpack the bags and head to the closest restaurant (not chain) they can find and they gorge themselves. LOL

Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,280,038 times
Weather is definetly a top priority. I HATE cold winters and snow that follows. I wouldn't live in any area that has frigid winters where the high is less than 50. I can tolerate hot summers much better than I can tolerate a long, cold winter.

Phoenix is a perfect fit as far as weather is concerned. It rarely has rainy days, no snowy days (actually we had 1 day it did snow down here this year), no ice, no sleet, and the temp is usually in the 60's and 70's during winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or