U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,990,438 times

Advertisements

Most people prefer four seasons. I would not be happy in a tropical place. Maritime or pacific west is the best but also expensive. I could get a mobile home there but id rather have a real house. Weather isnt everything that id trade for a mobile home.

Ive been thinking about SE OH and WV but are those locations better than Oil city? Are they more expensive? I know theres more shopping and cheaper houses in Oil city than SE Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 09:10 PM

669 posts, read 2,945,281 times
No offense, but I'm not sure ANY of those locations are a good idea. Now I'm sure there are happy people in WV, happy people in SE Ohio and happy people in Oil City. And maybe it's a good fit for you. But those locations seem to be some of the most depressing-sounding places in the nation.

I know, and I think we all know -- you're DYING to escape the heat. However, in SE Ohio and WV, when it's a 10 degree windchill with blowing snow, you'll want the heat back. IMO, and just mine, it's easier to cool off in the heat then it is to get warm outside in the cold. Yes, you can bundle up, but that kinda makes you feel "temperate" rather then especially "warm. Heat, to me, is easier to beat, both indoors and out, whereas cold is a little tougher. Also, heating can be very expensive. Please don't tell us for the 500th time about your high AC bills -- I know AC can be killer too, but heat TENDS to be more expensive.

Maybe I'm wrong -- maybe you truly hate heat and truly love cold, how would I know? I do know that most people who live in 4-season climates don't love the winter. Winter tends to be dark, drab, cloudy, etc, and pretty ugly looking outside, except when there's snow. Cold, clear days to me are the worst. No benefit to it, because no snow, yet the awful, bone-chilling cold and wind is there. In fact, it seems when it's snowing, and not clear, the cold is more bearable. Makes no sense, but that's how it seems to me.

However, as much as you want 4 seasons, WV and SE Ohio and Oil City are pretty extreme examples of 4 seasons. It's similar to where I live near Philly - the climate is mostly up and down extremes. There are not too many "beautiful" weather days -- it's always too cold, too hot, too windy, or too something. For example, April, in my area, tends to be fairly mild one day, but then chilling the next. It's unpredictable. WV is probably the coldest of the states you want, mostly due to elevation. WV gets a lot more snow then the latitude suggests. It's also cold, gray and windy there in winter (in fact, pretty gray much of the year). One time, you said that means less sunburn, but you can still burn in the cloudy weather too. The point is -- very cloudy, gray, cold areas.

In all honesty, can you tell me WHY you are so desperate for a true, single family home? I know you want equity, and I know you don't want to rent, but I don't get WHY. What in the world does one person need 2000 sq feet for? Heck, one person should be able to comfortably live in, heck, 500, maybe 700 sq feet, not 2000. I'm not suggesting mobile homes, as I'm not a fan, but why is it not an option? Why are you so against everything besides single family homes?

Oh, and my major major argument here: In a place like Oil City it's not as though you're going to get a lot of equity anyway...

Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM

53 posts, read 285,269 times
I believe he needs the room for his collections. Not sure what happened to the second house he was going to buy just for those.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
No offense, but I'm not sure ANY of those locations are a good idea. Now I'm sure there are happy people in WV, happy people in SE Ohio and happy people in Oil City. And maybe it's a good fit for you. But those locations seem to be some of the most depressing-sounding places in the nation.
It is all in what floats your boat. "Depressing sounding" Sounding and talk is not a substitute for actually experiencing any place. I like going to WV, probably would not want to live there but it is mostly because I do not like how they manage the paperwork, taxes, types of hassles, some of the culture, etc. But you can find the "Right Place" with enough civilization to support a good life style.
Quote:

I know, and I think we all know -- you're DYING to escape the heat. However, in SE Ohio and WV, when it's a 10 degree windchill with blowing snow.

I do know that most people who live in 4-season climates don't love the winter. Winter tends to be dark, drab, cloudy, etc, and pretty ugly looking outside, except when there's snow. Cold, clear days to me are the worst. No benefit to it, because no snow, yet the awful, bone-chilling cold and wind is there. In fact, it seems when it's snowing, and not clear, the cold is more bearable. Makes no sense, but that's how it seems to me.

However, as much as you want 4 seasons, WV and SE Ohio and Oil City are pretty extreme examples of 4 seasons. It's similar to where I live near Philly - the climate is mostly up and down extremes. There are not too many "beautiful" weather days -- it's always too cold, too hot, too windy, or too something. For example, April, in my area, tends to be fairly mild one day, but then chilling the next. It's unpredictable. WV is probably the coldest of the states you want, mostly due to elevation. WV gets a lot more snow then the latitude suggests. It's also cold, gray and windy there in winter (in fact, pretty gray much of the year). One time, you said that means less sunburn, but you can still burn in the cloudy weather too. The point is -- very cloudy, gray, cold areas.
It sounds like your are describing Big City winter in Philly or maybe Boston.

You got to get out more into the Free World. SE Ohio got a very abnormal cold winter this time, like worse in 30 years, too bad I missed most of it. Some of the local boys looking a little shell shocked.

But normally it is nothing like you envision. If you get out toward Noble County when it is snowing can be just like a fairy wonderland. One trip toward Columbus I was out early in the morning last year just before Xmas and it had just lightly snowed, daylight coming on and snow was still coming down as a dusting. Took the smaller county roads "Short Cut" to a state road I normally take for like 20 miles or so, up and down hills, thru woods, nice curvy road, crusing along at maybe 20 MPH. Marvelous, never saw another car the entire time, snowplows still not out. Just a beautiful experience, you never could have in a metro area. You can't buy that type situation, picture book landscapes, was like they sell on TV ads, but you know it could never happen to you.

Small town, more rural SE Ohio is not like you describe. The snow typically stays white for very long periods. Winter is not generally harsh, lots of sunny days, many days of clear sky. Countryside can be glorious on a sunny day in winter.

SE Ohio is not a pretty extreme example of 4 seasons. There is a crescent shaped wedge of weather that hugs the river regions and gives a totally different weather pattern more like down in TN or KY in most situations. Winter is typically bad for two months but snows normally don't last long on the ground. Summers are about two months for the hotter weather, don't get extreme hot either. Northern Ohio or Ohio above I-70 tend to have much, much harsher winter. Summer in central Ohio can be bad. Can have very nice spring days, falls are nice. We do not get much bitter wind and cold, December can be very mild, was this year.

Quote:
In all honesty, can you tell me WHY you are so desperate for a true, single family home?
NAH will probably get a culture shock no matter where he goes out of FL. Oil City might just be a super good fit. That house he found for $14,800 might have been a super buy, the one with the single car garage. But only he will know what is right. Some of those post industrial towns you do have to have a bit of grit in your blood to appreciate but if they are not horribly beat up can have some charm.

Some of those older River Towns might be the new Renaissance at some future point. Stranger things have happened. Lots of people said the South end in Boston was history, sure seemed that way for a lot of years. You had to have the vision to see what it might become. Tho, a number of those towns are going to take a while and a lot of money but once it starts it gains steam those who had the vision become big winners. Might have to be young to wait that long.

Yes, if I were him, I would do the exploration type trip, if that looks good, rent for a few months to maybe a year to get my ears wet and also see some of the countryside. Visit all the areas of interest in WV / OH in various seasons to see if there is something better.

WV has a lot of appeal if you want to get away from the World. A tricky balancing act of not getting in there too far that you must trap for your dinner. Great place for little exploration type trips into out of the way places, looking for absolutely nothing. Be sure to top off that gas tank first. You have to want what it offers. It is what it is.

NAH may eventually fly the nest. Been a lot of hopping and flapping the wings. Question is still open what direction he will go and where the eagle will land.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:39 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,979,754 times
Very very important. I will not move to cities with bitter cold winters along with snow and sleet.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 AM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Quote:
Yes, you can bundle up, but that kinda makes you feel "temperate" rather then especially "warm."
That's almost exactly how it feels, though I'd never thought of it that way.
I'm okay feeling temperate most of the time, but I love "feeling warm".

Do you have any idea how many layers it takes to make 5 F feel more like 75 F?
For me, usually so much that it's almost impossible to move.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM

6,128 posts, read 2,544,308 times
Major necrobump, but I thought this was the weather forum, my bad

Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Weather does matter. I prefer 4 seasons, but can deal with the boring socal weather. My favorite days are 50 degrees or less, overcast, damp. Yep, I'm weird.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:13 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
I/we made it a priority (too big of a priority as it turns out), but in hindsight, that was sort of foolish and silly. Weather benefits/advantages in a new location won't pay the bills, won't make the local job market better, and won't help the cost of living. We were better off overall where we were before, even with the crappier weather.

So, weather has been downgraded as something we are concerned with, and will be less of a factor in our next move.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:27 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,270,983 times
We moved from a Sun Belt metro with a terrible climate, boring geography, and lousy outdoor amenities back to Colorado. I love not having to breathe stale, recycled HVAC air 24/7 for 3-4 months and being able to have the windows open at night throughout the summer. The COL is higher here, but we're in a much better financial position than we ever were down there. Our overall QOL has improved immensely.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 06-22-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or