U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:21 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,987,009 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy reading threads about other cities as I am in relocation mode. Not that I don't like Chicago, I just want to do and see something different.

One thing that I keep seeing on just about every forum is it seems there are many people that just don't like where they live.

The threads that are the worst are when someone moves from NYC and tries to compare it to Beechwood,Ohio. How can you comapre two cities? It cannot be done. That's what makes each place so different and unique. No, Beechwood does not have NY style pizza and street vendors.

If I relocated to a small town in S.C. I sure as hell will not be comparing it to Chicago. That does not make any sense. So what if it does not have a great steak house or 24/7 public transportation with non stop activities. That's the trade off for a more affordable,safer place.

Make the best of where you are. IF it's to expensive, move somewhere where it's not but don't comapre it to the place you left.

There is no utopia!
Be Safe

Ron

Last edited by Ron.; 12-06-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,452,655 times
Nice post. I will probably be moving out of Texas in two to three years, not because I dislike Houston or Texas, but because it will be time for a change, so I can commiserate, especially about comparing places. Some of that is inevitable and human nature, but people can be pretty unrealistic. That's why it pays to do your research, which is what I'm doing and why I won't be moving for two to three years!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,987,009 times
Yes, I can understand. I've been looking for places for sometime now. Where ever I go, I'll enjoy it, no doubt. I can always hop on a plan and visit Chicago, no biggie.

Good luck in your search.

EDIT: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Nice post. I will probably be moving out of Texas in two to three years, not because I dislike Houston or Texas, but because it will be time for a change, so I can commiserate, especially about comparing places. Some of that is inevitable and human nature, but people can be pretty unrealistic. That's why it pays to do your research, which is what I'm doing and why I won't be moving for two to three years!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,212,299 times
i am.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,159,527 times
I am SO happy with my location. 4 real seasons with things to do in each of them, and a real sugar sand beach for those nice Summer days.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM

668 posts, read 2,085,689 times
I hate everywhere and everyone in it. Maybe one day I'll find my perfect utopia, but probably not. Until then, I'll keep on traveling.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,808,811 times
I'm unhappy with where I live. I've never lived outside of Texas and would love to move to the Northeast and eventually settle down in the Northwest.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:30 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I hate everywhere and everyone in it. Maybe one day I'll find my perfect utopia, but probably not. Until then, I'll keep on traveling.
Me too...I hate people, places, and things - basically I hate nouns.

Keep on travelling and hating! There is so much in the world to see, experience, and hate.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
i am.

Me too...if I wasn't happy, I would do everything in my power to move elsewhere.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:28 AM

7,412 posts, read 12,945,544 times
I live in a small town of maybe 2500 people. I love small town life. I have lived in small towns all my life (so far!). We're a little over an hour from Nashville, Tn. if we want to go somewhere. For shopping, or just a day out, there is also Paducah, Ky., about an hour the other direction on I-24 from here. We're 10 miles from the Land Between the Lakes, a 170,000 acre national recreation area, between Kentucky Lake, the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River and Lake Barkley. In the LBL there is hunting, fishing, biking, hiking, 4 wheeling, mudding, bald eagles, and elk and bison range, and quite a bit more.
Cadiz may not have a Walmart, but there is a Fred's and a Dollar Store, and 3 groceries! lol Small town living might not be for everybody, but it's done fine for me for 52 years now. Why change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or