U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

668 posts, read 2,085,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Someone from Chicago, chiming in on a New York thread. How typical.

The fact is, NYC doesn't attract just someone from Iowa, we attract the whole world. My landlord is Chinese, on any day, the falafel guy on Roosevelt Ave., is Eritrean, my barber is Dominican, and that is just to name a few.

The fact is, these people make New York what it is. NYC lost it's local idenity? More like Chicago is showing it's inferiority complex.
Who said this was an NYC thread? I see "other cities" in the title as well. And I'm not boasting about Chicago, I'm just saying most people who brag about new york city aren't even from there. They grew up the first twenty years of their life in Vermont or Pennsylvania or some backward a-$-$ boony and then at 21 move down to NYC and by age 22 are like "yeah NYC is t3h s3x & y0ur c1ty suckzz h8rdc0r3" but fail to mention that they are some suburban or rural kid who dreamed about the big city his or her whole childhood and now thinks they have everything "figured out" n use NYC to cover up their inferiority about their small sh1th0le of a town.

And I wasn't talking about foreigners either, which makes up the diversity of any large city, including Chicago and even the majority of Miami (where I'm currently at). Not just NYC. Last time I was in Manhattan it was full of hipsters and yuppies, and Harlem n Upper Manhattan seemed completely white washed. Excluding Chinatown, it seemed completely dominated by the elite white america. Even many areas of Brooklyn. Now how come I doubt a majority of these people were not raised in NYC and are just out of town suburban folk looking for a unique "city" experience? Hell, I hear New Yorkers themselves complain about gentrification all the time. The only people who like gentrification r the people doing the gentrifying, n that apply's to every city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
I honestly don't think NYC is as unique as some other cities are.

NYC and Chicago have always struck me as remarkably similar.

But there really are no other cities like Miami, DC, SF, LA....etc.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:15 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,972,368 times
Banx....

Harlem is "whitewashed"...?

That's it. I lost all hope in humanity.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 PM

668 posts, read 2,085,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Banx....

Harlem is "whitewashed"...?

That's it. I lost all hope in humanity.
It is alot more now than it was in the early 2000's or 90's. Give it another 10 years n see if ull be able to even recognize it.

Here, this sums up everything that I'm talking about:
#26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!) Stuff White People Like

and this more specifically on Harlem:
Curbed: Stuff White People Like: Harlem (http://curbed.com/archives/2008/09/08/stuff_white_people_like_harlem.php - broken link)

don't feel too bad though, the same crap is going on Chicago too.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,317,984 times
No way is london on nycs greatness. If invaders from outter space want to make a statement; their knockng over the statue of liberty not BIG BEN lmao. Tea and crumpets eating, may i praise the queen.............. wannabes. Get outta here

Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 AM

263 posts, read 732,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
No way is london on nycs greatness. If invaders from outter space want to make a statement; their knockng over the statue of liberty not BIG BEN lmao. Tea and crumpets eating, may i praise the queen.............. wannabes. Get outta here
Oh yeah! Looks like Futcha finally got lucky and had a child ^^! Anything, and I mean ANYTHING you can say about diversity and sports and dining? ... and culture and ANYTHING else concerning new york, you can say about Los Angeles, where I'm from. The thing right now that new york has that no one else has is the ability to whine for dollars like a baby- AND THEN TAKE IT! TAX FREE! NO CONCESSIONS! OUR MONEY, FOR THE TAKING! When was the last time YOUR CITY was subsidized by the entire country? When was the last time YOUR CITY received billions and billions of dollars meant to be infused into your economy? new york- the most dependant city by far in America. The most bailed out entity in America. Free money for a city that has to be saved time after time again. A city that can't stand on its own. A city that can't pay for itself. A city that isn't mature. Other than the smell, THAT'S IT!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Better/more PR exposure to national audiences. Seriously, the national news media sits in either NY or DC but what DC doesn't have is a large number of TV shows set in it, like they are set in NY. So, you have LA, that just has entertainment and you have DC that's just political news but NY has both kinds of national exposure.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM

^^^ Good Point. Everyone knows NYC. Major networks have their HQs in Midtown. A lot of shows are based in NYC, too.

To Banx: Upper Manhattan is changing, but not to the degree that you links are talking about. Anything usually about 145, and you're still seeing Harlem as it has been for decades.

To Oilpainter: NYC sends out billions of dollars to the Government and get little to nothing in return. In fact, the Gov. haven't gave NYC, any type of federal monetary package because of the fact NYC has failed in it's congestion pricing bid.

The only money NYC lobbies for, is more money to protect the city from another terrorist attack. Almost 3,000 people were slaughtered on 9-11, and we all don't want to see that happening again.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,190,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Other than that, we are the center of the universe.
In your dreams Junior. In your dreams

Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 AM

^^^ Boston calls it self the "Hub of the Universe". Rome is called the "Eternal City" and NYC is sometimes known as "Caput Mundi" literally, capital of the world. Ah, everybody wants to rule the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or