Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:38 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What characteristics make NYC different from all other U.S. cities?
Honestly? ...everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
After SF its the most self-absorbed city in the world.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
After SF its the most self-absorbed city in the world.
And given everything those two cities offer - they have reason to be. I've been to Athens, Paris, Rome, Mumbai, Sydney, London, Toronto, Munich, and many more. The only ones, IMO, that compare to NYC (not in size) would probably be Sydney and London.

The two "self-absorbed" cities you insult are definitely among the top five in the world.

What now??!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:12 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It is a great place, but it is NOT the end all, be all center of the universe you all have convinced yourselves that it is. That would be London.
Neither NYC nor London is the center of the universe. The universe has no center. Actually, neither city is the center of the world. Does the surface of the world have a center? No.

Every city in the world has such an inflated view of itself. Its impossible not to. That being said, lets leave petty competition aside. "My city vs. Your city" threads are tiresome.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What you and many of your neighbors will never fail to understand is that there are millions of us that have no DESIRE to compete with NYC - on any level.

It is a great place, but it is NOT the end all, be all center of the universe you all have convinced yourselves that it is. That would be London.
London has us in one category... Finance. And that's because on 9/11, we lost more office space than the City of Cincinnati has office space so it's only obvious that our finance industry would take a dive. But the Freedom Tower complex will put us bag on top in finance.

Other than that, we are the center of the universe.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
London has us in one category... Finance. And that's because on 9/11, we lost more office space than the City of Cincinnati has office space so it's only obvious that our finance industry would take a dive. But the Freedom Tower complex will put us bag on top in finance.

Other than that, we are the center of the universe.

What do you mean we? You don't own any of that office space. Sure, NYC is nice, but just because you live in it doesn't make you any better than others. That's what many seem to forget. Anyone can pick up and move to any city that they want. Homeless people live in NYC too. Are they more successful than Bill Gates because they live in NYC and he doesn't?

I always thought NYC might be interesting to live in. However, I'm a firefighter that can't just pick up and leave. With only 1 job out there for every 100 applicants I have to take what I can get.

Some of these comments that people make are so completely stupid. Like dem said, these threads are getting old. They can be interesting at first, but some people act like immature kids about it.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
What do you mean we? You don't own any of that office space. Sure, NYC is nice, but just because you live in it doesn't make you any better than others. That's what many seem to forget. Anyone can pick up and move to any city that they want. Homeless people live in NYC too. Are they more successful than Bill Gates because they live in NYC and he doesn't?

I always thought NYC might be interesting to live in. However, I'm a firefighter that can't just pick up and leave. With only 1 job out there for every 100 applicants I have to take what I can get.

Some of these comments that people make are so completely stupid. Like dem said, these threads are getting old. They can be interesting at first, but some people act like immature kids about it.
Yeah x2, and it seems like most people in NYC nowadays weren't even born n raised there to begin with, just all transplants that came from crappy places they are ashamed to be from. At least I can always proudly state where I come from and have pride in my city and don't need to leach off of another one just to feel better about myself.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
^^^ me looks at your location and sees nothing.

The OP stated what makes NYC, must different from the rest of the nation. Most people ( majority NYers ) chimed in. If someone wants to get all bent out of shape because someone expresses a little home pride, then that is their problem. Besides, what does having to being born in NYC has to do with anything? If someone lives in NY, they're a New Yorker.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ me looks at your location and sees nothing.

The OP stated what makes NYC, must different from the rest of the nation. Most people ( majority NYers ) chimed in. If someone wants to get all bent out of shape because someone expresses a little home pride, then that is their problem. Besides, what does having to being born in NYC has to do with anything? If someone lives in NY, they're a New Yorker.
I'm born n raised in Chicago.

And I wouldn't consider someone from some farm in the middle of Iowa who just moved to Chicago to be a true Chicagoan. And I would think the same would go for a city like NYC, unless NYC has lost its local identity n culture maybe...

Hmmmm....

Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
Someone from Chicago, chiming in on a New York thread. How typical.

The fact is, NYC doesn't attract just someone from Iowa, we attract the whole world. My landlord is Chinese, on any day, the falafel guy on Roosevelt Ave., is Eritrean, my barber is Dominican, and that is just to name a few.

The fact is, these people make New York what it is. NYC lost it's local idenity? More like Chicago is showing it's inferiority complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.