Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:54 AM

304 posts, read 901,740 times

Advertisements

new yorkers love to use the word "diversity"

theyll say bal bla guy is chinese, the dude walking down the street is from the dr, so on and so on..

its kind of weird that they think they are the only ones with "diversity"

most californians wont, but you could easily say "the dry cleaning dude is korean, the busboy at the vietnamese Pho place is mexican, the security guard at my job site is ethiopian, and im married to a filipina" ...but they dont

nyc really isnt that special

we have a whole state that is diverse...you have a couple hundred square miles...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,217,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What characteristics make NYC different from all other U.S. cities?
I think that is a question that can only be answered by personal experience - meaning don't take the word of someone else. Reason being, I've seen so many posts on here (and from the "real world") with positive and negative attitudes that you will get an array of answers. It doesn't do the City - nor you for that matter - any justice hearing it from someone else.

Personally I love the City. This is coming from the experience of someone who visited often but never lived there. Living in upstate NY, NYC was only a train ride away and it was always a nice weekend getaway for us. I loved the crowd, I loved the stores, the shopping, the culture, I loved that you can just get lost in a sea of people scurrying around trying to get somewhere. I could spend the entire day just sitting in a cafe, Central Park or wherever and just people watch. It's truly a unique experience. There are plenty of cities similar to New York City. Maybe not so much in the States but definitely abroad. However, it's just not the same. There's just a different flavor about NYC, an aura that she gives out. She is truly an experience all by her own.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,614,577 times
I have to give you some rep for that. Great post. ^^^^ Simply put, there is no American city that can match NYC-none. Not to say that their aren't any cities that are great in this country, but NYC is on it's oven level. NYC has competition, but that is from cities over seas: London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Rome, etc. The fact is, NYC is the only American city-and the only one in the new world-that ranks in the "Big 4" world class cities ( NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo ).

Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,778,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What characteristics make NYC different from all other U.S. cities?
Everything. No other city is like New York, plain and simple.

Saying this is not bashing other cities. Many other cities have things that New York doesn't have, but New York City is probably THE only in the country where the city runs with itself.

The city is so fast paced it makes others seem like a snail in comparison. The culture defines Northeastern culture perfectly, and while obnoxious and not extremely friendly, New Yorkers are fun to deal with and are always in your face about everything.

I would also say that I love the idea of New York being separated into 5 buroughs, like 5 different cities.

While I wouldn't want to live there (I prefer Chicago), it's a fantastic place to visit and have fun in.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,700,565 times
New York is just the "it" city. So much excitement, culture, intensity... its just amazing. NYers can be snobs though...as great as a city as NY is, people have a right to have pride in their hometown also.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,471,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
new yorkers love to use the word "diversity"

theyll say bal bla guy is chinese, the dude walking down the street is from the dr, so on and so on..

its kind of weird that they think they are the only ones with "diversity"

most californians wont, but you could easily say "the dry cleaning dude is korean, the busboy at the vietnamese Pho place is mexican, the security guard at my job site is ethiopian, and im married to a filipina" ...but they dont

nyc really isnt that special

we have a whole state that is diverse...you have a couple hundred square miles...lol
That's a good thing. We're compact, you guys have 3 major cities and only 1 actually looks like a city. Nobody cares how diverse a state is... Like a Mexican lives here and 300 miles away a French guy lives here... **** that. In New York, there are French and Mexican roommates sharing a 100 square foot apartment together.

And we're not ****in morons... We know other cities have diversity... But there is none who have it to NYC's extent. Find me a gas station in LA where I can find 20 newspapers in 20 different languages. You can't. So don't even go there about NYC not being that special. We're the epitome of a truly global city so deal with it.

And don't even act like you don't care because you bash NYC every chance you get. I'll straight up admit that I care but you always say you don't and 5 minutes later you're bashing NYC. Get real.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 PM

345 posts, read 1,011,787 times
NYC is the only TRUE "melting pot."

Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
That's a good thing. We're compact, you guys have 3 major cities and only 1 actually looks like a city. Nobody cares how diverse a state is... Like a Mexican lives here and 300 miles away a French guy lives here... **** that. In New York, there are French and Mexican roommates sharing a 100 square foot apartment together.

And we're not ****in morons... We know other cities have diversity... But there is none who have it to NYC's extent. Find me a gas station in LA where I can find 20 newspapers in 20 different languages. You can't. So don't even go there about NYC not being that special. We're the epitome of a truly global city so deal with it.

And don't even act like you don't care because you bash NYC every chance you get. I'll straight up admit that I care but you always say you don't and 5 minutes later you're bashing NYC. Get real.

You just don't get it. Every time you post this crap, New York loses just a little more cachet.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,471,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I honestly don't think NYC is as unique as some other cities are.

NYC and Chicago have always struck me as remarkably similar.

But there really are no other cities like Miami, DC, SF, LA....etc.
Why don't you actually learn about cities before you make ridiculous statements. NYC is unique not only in looks, but the energy, attitudes, people, food, clubs, etc.

All you just did was put two major cities together by looking at the skyline and saying "well they both have tall buildings." Well no **** pal... But when you meet the people, learn about the cities and how they run, listen to the attitudes, and have the food, and go out at night you'll see how truly different NYC and Chicago are.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,791,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post

This is the reason why I would never want to live in New York City. I would hate to share a 100 square foot apartment. The cost of living is just ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.